pumpkin salad

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srinivassusu

hi, pumpikin salad can eat as side dish along with ur regular meals or break fast.Pumpkin is chopped into small pieces and cooked in oil tempered with cumin seeds and green chiles. Once cooked, pumpkin is lightly mashed with back of a spoon and cooled to room temperature. Plain yogurt is whisked till smooth and mashed pumpkin is stirred in. Pumpkin salad is finished with crushed roasted peanuts . Nice side dish during summer .
Ingredients:Red Pumpkin 2 Cups chopped,Plain Yogurt 1 1/2 Cups,Green Chiles 2 – 4,Roasted Peanuts 1 tbsp,Sugar 1 tsp,cumin Seeds 1 tsp,
oil 2 tsps
Method of preparation:Wash, peel, halve, remove seeds and chop pumpkin to small pieces.Remove stems, wash and chop the green chiles.Lightly crush the roasted peanuts.Thoroughly whisk yogurt in a deep bowl along with sugar and keep aside.Heat oil 2tsps in a pan, add cumin seeds.Once they change color, add chopped pumpkin, green chiles and salt.Cook covered on medium flame till pumpkin turns soft.Add few tbsps of water to the pan if necessary and turn occasionally.Once pumpkin pieces start to fall apart, remove from heat.Lightly mash the cooked pumpkin pieces with back of a spoon.Cool the pumpkin mixture to room temperature and add to above yogurt bowl.Also add crushed peanuts to the yogurt bowl and Mix well .Serve pumpkin salad chilled .
Suggestions: If pumpkin pieces are not cooked well, cook them covered on medium flame with few splashes of water till done. Alternatively, boil the pumpkin in few cups of water till soft or micro wave for pumpkin till it turns soft.

SRINIVAS

Last edited:
What kind of pumkin are Red Pumpkins? Are they smaller than the usual jack o latern type pumpkin? I googled it, and mostly found Indian recipes using it (that sound great) but still not sure what kind of pumpkin to use

Love all your vegetable recipes. Keep them coming. Indian food is so wonderful and tasty, the use of spices, the interesting mix of ingredients. You folks know how to do vegetables right!

This recipe sounds delicious. I'll have to locate some red pumpkins.

when you find them can you tell me what they are, more like big jack o latern type or smaller meaty, more like pie pumpkins?
speaking of pumpkins, have you had the pumpkin coffee?

Pumpkin coffee? I was in Barnes and Noble a couple of days ago and an employee from the bookstore's Starbucks was giving out some kind of pumpkin latte-type samples, with whipped cream and a bit of nutmeg or something on top. YUM!!!

BTW, one slice of pumpkin pie has at least 3 days worth of Vitamin A in it. Skip the carrots! Pass the pumpkin pie :D !

I had this last night. I didn't have pumpkin, but I did have butternut squash. I thought it was very tasty and the cumin added a nice dimension to the dish. In fact, the recipe had nice layers of unusual tastes. I also didn't have green chilies, but I did have green peppers and I used some of that and added cayenne for the heat that the chilies would have imparted.

Speaking of butternut squash, years ago my mother gave me a recipe for Butternut Squash Burritoes, a recipe I believe she got out of Prevention magazine. Basically, if you cook the butternut correctly, and peel and mash and mix it in with a bit of cumin and chili pepper and a few other spices just right, and cook that all together for awhile also on the stovetop, then wrap it up in a tortilla and bake it with some cheese and maybe some sauteed onion, add a dollop of sour cream, you might not be able to tell you're not eating a bean burrito. Delicious and healthy :) .

Latest posts

Back