Pumphead?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rchiolino

I had 5 bypasses in 2008, I always knew something was "wrong" but didn't know what it could be until now. I have asked my doctors several times over the last year if my problems could be caused by my meds. One even told me it was from menopause! I'm seeing the doctor today and am going to ask right out what happened to me. I feel cheated because I was not told this could happen to me, I was reprimanded several times at my former job for not paying attention, the reprimands caused anxiety attacks to the point of me leaving the job. It was encouraging to hear that I was not alone in my "haze."

You are definitely not alone!! I think doctors are loathe to admit that something like that can happen. But there is now slow recognition in the medical fraterity of the condition. I am now 9 months post op and my short term memory is problematic. I got off lightly as I am not in a "haze" but still struggle mid-sentence for the right word. My 14 year old daughter love to make fun of me by interjecting"pumphead" when it happens. All in good humour.. Oh well...((sigh))

Last edited:
My daughter and I joke too, I am back from the doctor and will be seeing a nuerologist to see if there is actual brain damage. I am grateful to be alive, but at just 51 years old, am worried as to what my future will be. Life with "normal" thinking is hard, what awaits me now? My driving as of today has been restricted, but, I am alive and that is what I should focus on. Life is Good!!!

You are definitely not alone!! I think doctors are loathe to admit that something like that can happen. But there is now slow recognition in the medical fraterity of the condition. I am now 9 months post op and my short term memory is problematic. I got off lightly as I am not in a "haze" but still struggle mid-sentence for the right word. My 14 year old daughter love to make fun of me by interjecting"pumphead" when it happens. All in good humour.. Oh well...((sigh))

I am with Johan in that I can get off a little lightly and I have explained it to my family so they understand somewhat. And the family is starting to realize that something is different. For example, I am not reading as much because my attention span is just not back to where it used to be. And, I have not really got back into my crosswords and Sudoku puzzles. I have to force myself and I end up screwing them up at time.

I have had to get more agressive at work because the level I am expected to work at is much higher than some. I have not had the patience for tact for the last couple of months. Hopefully, it will come back.

I left my job with a security company because I was always being reprimanded for things I messed up. This was before I really knew something was wrong. I mean, I KNEW something was wrong, but couldn't get answers from the doctors until just recently. I consider myself to be highly intelligent and find this new phase of my life to be rather difficult. Friends and family are very understanding, I get very frustrated with myself. I try not to sit on the pitty pot, I know that there are alot of people out there who have an even more difficult time finding words and getting things to come out right. I have also noticed that I tend to transpose certain letters and numbers. I guess I will have to find it in me to accept the person I am now, as I'm pretty sure the person I was is lost to me forever. I am so grateful I found this website, It's very comforting to know that someone out there knows exactly how I feel. By the way, how has your incission healed? Mine is still very red and very sensitive. Time heals all I guess! Take Care All

Rchiolino, I do not think I suffer from pump head and was fine after surgery however as the doses of drugs to remodel my heart increased so did the pump head like symptoms (short term memory, ability to stay focused on tasks requiring extended concentration).
After my heart remodeled and I discontinued the drugs these symptoms went.
Are you on different medications now to before surgery or are any of the dosages higher post surgery?
My incission was completely healed 18 months post surgery, it wasn't sensitive, however did feel strange to touch for the first couple of years.

I have it to a certain extent ... I too wonder what old age will bring ... my friends and family have not mentioned anything so I don't know if it is noticeable to others but it is to me ... it is what it is ... I'd rather live with it than die without it...

I have definitely noticed changes since my surgery. I, too, transpose letters, especially when I'm trying to type. I also have a hard time finding the right word for things. My family has noticed these things and I think for a while, it concerned them, but now I just say "pumphead" and they know it's ok. The word will eventually come to me, it just takes a while.

I wasn't on any medication prior to my surgery, everything happened very quickly. I began to notice the difference in my thinking almost immediately. It has not changed with the droppage of medications. I would like to know to what extent the damage is, I guess that's why my cardiologist is sending me to a nuerologist. I am very happy to be alive, and "ditzy" isn't so bad! But I would still like answers. my friends and family take all in stride, I find myself getting very frustrated, which usually makes it harder to accomplish what I am trying to do.

well after reading this thread it makes me feel a lot better .I have most of the symptoms you mention but i always put it down to the statins i was taking .i drive a truck for a living and was forgetting places i had visited on a regular basis to the point were i had to buy a navigation system for the truck . since i stopped taking the statin drugs my memory as improved a lot but not made a full recovery and still stutter when in conversation (which i never did ) .

I have my cholesterol under control somewhat. I believe everything happens for a reason. My Father died at age 66 after several heart attacks and strokes, starting at age 43. Of his five children, I am the only one to inherit this heart trait. Funny thing, of all of us, I was the most active, healthiest, didn't drink much, didn't smoke much, middle child. I'm glad my siblings don't have these problems. I think all human beings are prone to some health related issue. I'm hoping that I am young enough that medical technology will keep me around longer than age 66. But for now I am still trying to make sense of everything, and teach myself to live each day to the fullest. You don't have to have heart disease to die young. Hand in there.

Latest posts

Back