Progress!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epstns

Premium User
Supporting Member
Well, yesterday I had appointments with my "downtown" cardio (at Northwestern, where my surgery was performed), the pacemaker clinic there, and an electrophysiologist.

The cardio, who was assigned to me for continuity to the surgical team, and I both concluded that there is nothing more she needs to do for me. My routine care will now be transferred to my regular cardio closer to home. This works well for me. . .

The pacemaker clinic reported that my device is working just fine. It paces my upper heart chamber about half the time but the lower chamber nearly all the time, because my lower chamber seems to wait too long after the upper "fires" to do its own thing. I found that my pacer is set with a lower rate limit of 60 BPM and an upper limit of 130 BPM.

When I met with the electrophysiologist, we discussed setting the upper limit higher and decided that we can consider it in the future but for now we will leave it as is - to allow more time for healing without high rate stress.

The EP also said that the pacer indicated that I have not had any AFIB since late March, and that with 5 weeks in a normal sinus rhythm, I can dicsontinue the amiodarone! Yesterday was the last of that for me, unless problems arise as it works out of my system. This is also good.

I asked about how long I need to take warfarin, given that I don't have chronic AFIB. The EP said that we should probably continue it for the next month or so, and that I should discuss it with my regular cardio. I see him in a couple of weeks and will do so.

The part that made my day was when the EP said " From where you are now, you can look forward to the same quality of life and life span you would have had if you never needed heart surgery." When I thought about this comment on the way to work, I was really moved. After all the stuff I've gone through, I can still have a regular life. This I plan to do!

That is a great update, Steve. I am so happy for you. You are truly an inspiration. Keep up great work.

Jeri

Thanks for the good update, Steve...from all of us in the "Waiting Room"!

Grey

Steve, is your ICD a wireless unit as this can save you time and aggravation by having an in-home monitor that will notify your EP of any incidents...I only founnd out that I was paced once and shocked twice when I was at the implant clinic and my EP did adjustments but now there is a CareLink™ system plugged in beside my bed that will transmit information when required or on demand by the clinic.

Skeptic - I wish he hadn't used that word "normal." Now people will expect me to BE normal, and that would be acting for me.:angel:

Greg - I don't think mine is wireless. Nobody has said anything about that, and when I looked at the manufacturer's web site I saw nothing about the feature. Also, I would have expected them to mention it when I called the manufacturer's technical department to discuss whether or not there would be any risk to the pacemaker when I operate my amateur radio transmitter.

To everybody - Thank you all for the support. As I get more used to the idea that my heart is operated by an electronic "device" in my chest, I realize that the major elements of life are unchanged and that I truly have a "re-do" chance to enjoy life.

Good news, Steve! Yes, it will probably take about 6 months for your heart to heal enough for you to have your top rate increased. I think after my first surgery mine was set at 130 for the first 6 months, then increased to its current 50/150. After my second surgery, they set it to a steady 80 for recovery. Blech!
I got it reset to the prior 50/150 setting at my 6 week follow up...but it still took for freaking ever for my heart to heal enough to where I could exercise normally....4 months? 5 months? Cardio rehab helped.

Steve, your story really has been inspirational for this 'waiter' of a similar age, I was diagnosed in Jan and have followed your posts with great interest. I am really pleased you are now over the worst of the bumps.

Laurie - Thanks for the insight on healing and probable path in adjusting pacer settings as healing takes place. My first thought was to open up the range right now, after all, I wouldn't be able to use it until my heart heals enough. But, now that I think about it, setting the upper limit a bit lower than that might help keep me from trying to do too much too soon. I'll wait and see what transpires when I start rehab. If I can continue to improve without changing my pacer limits, I'll save that for later.

Steve, this is great news. I know you were particularly wanting to get off of the amioderone, and I am glad to hear that it worked out for you. After your early speed bumps, I am glad to see you are getting very good news now.

Steve, I know you've heard this before but not from me...It will just continue to get better. I'm 10 months post-op now and this past month I just realized I feel better now than I did at 6 months post-op. At that time I felt fine and strong but I was always consciously aware I'd had heart surgery.

Now I feel even stronger and while it's still on my mind a lot I forget about it for periods too. I think for me soon it will become a distant memory, and for you too.

Latest posts

Back