Problems with lisinoprol?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonan89

I'm one year out of my aeortic valve replacement surgery. I had an artifical mechanical valve put in. I'm a very active (run marathons, triathlons) 22 year old male. I take lisiniprol for high blood pressure. Every once in a while I extreme dizziness. I feel like I'm going to pass out and everything begins to get very blurry. Once I sit down my dizziness goes away after a while. My doctor says it's because I'm dehydrated but I feel like I drink a lot of water everyday and it seems to happen. This only happens about once a month. Does anybody else have problem with this? Is there something wrong with me besides being dehydrated or should I start chugging more water?

hi jason what dosage you on? i take 40mg a day with 5mg of bisoprolol,sometimes i can get lightheaded and dizzy doc said side effects of tabs,

Jason, I take 20 mg of Lisinopril twice a day and have for several years but it has never caused dizziness. When one is active, dehydration can sneak up on you very easily so that is a more likely cause. On long rides in the summer my chums and I drink gallons are still somewhat dehydrated by the end of the ride; you just cannot drink enough to stay completely hydrated. You must always consider, however, that each of us respond differently to drugs. One thing you might consider is taking half in the morning and half in the evening. You will still be getting the same amount of drug but without a larger spike during the day.

Larry

I'm one year out of my aeortic valve replacement surgery. I had an artifical mechanical valve put in. I'm a very active (run marathons, triathlons) 22 year old male. I take lisiniprol for high blood pressure. Every once in a while I extreme dizziness. I feel like I'm going to pass out and everything begins to get very blurry. Once I sit down my dizziness goes away after a while. My doctor says it's because I'm dehydrated but I feel like I drink a lot of water everyday and it seems to happen. This only happens about once a month. Does anybody else have problem with this? Is there something wrong with me besides being dehydrated or should I start chugging more water?

I take 40 mg a day and have had no problems. How is your ACT treatment going? I am going in for AVR in a few weeks and I am on the fence between mechanical and tissue valves...

I take 20mg of perindopil, which is very similar. Here is what I have found out since taking this: I run marathons also, and yes, I get dizzy, very dizzy. These drugs are ace inhibitors, which keep your arteries/vessels wide open, thus lowering BP. However, that means that as we dehydrate, and our blood volume diminishes, our arteries cannot collapse to keep our BP up, and thus...dizziness and passing out! It is a trade off....I know on long runs, I must hydrate like heck, and I may still suffer, but at least I now know why. Hope this helps.

Jason,

I had mitral valve repair in 2005. I walk quite a bit, train for the 2 and 3 day walks and I take 5mg of lisinopril. I have on occasion experienced dizziness, it usually occurs about an hour after I begin to walk. I take my pill in the mornings and I was told to wait, if I was going to walk, in that execise would lower my bp. So on long walks I skip it and I have not had a problem. I am careful to stay hydrated. Good luck to you!

my 'former' dr rxed it (40mg) TWICE a day. I went on a trip and while there nearly passed out while I was alone outside. Barely made it back inside. when I visited that dr upon returning home, she checked and sure nuff it should have been ONCE a day. reverting to proper dosage fixed it right up.

I take 10mg everyday but it is not primarily for blood pressure. I had a kidney transplant 14 years ago and a valve replacement 4 months ago. While I do not run marathons I do work out (cardio) in the gym as much as possible. I have experienced similar episodes and it is because of dehydration. But mine is a little tricky to keep in balance due to my kidney.
Hydration is a tricky thing, remember that your body has 2 forms of expelling poisons and water from the body, kidney and sweet. Also water passes right through. If you are thirsty you are already on the verge of dehydration. So if you have a normal kidney you would need to stay hydrated before exercise and during. Suppliment water with sports drinks (though I tend to stay away from the high sugar ones).

Lisinoprol gave me the ace cough and with a freshly opened chest NOT a good thing!! But I did take it 2 years before the surgery with no problems.

Latest posts

Back