Prayers and Best Wishes needed for Mary and her Family

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Mary -Congratulations on your new grandson and I'm glad he has improved so much - babies are amazing! My 22 yr old son had a severe club foot and his early childhood experience was much like Jeanette's story above. As a baby he got his first cast as a week old baby and they were changed every week for about 8 weeks I think. At some point they changed to 2 casts with a brace in between, then shoes with a brace in between just at night. It's amazing how fast those soft bones move around. By 3 he was just in orthopedic shoes during the day.
By his teenage years there was little evidence just looking at him although when he wears sandals you can notice a slight twist in his foot. He played football in high school, snowboards etc etc. He has orthotics now, as one leg is a little shorter than the other - maybe 1/4".
Please pass on my congratulations and best wishes to your family!

Mary, I'm so glad Charlie is (hopefully) at home by now. It always hurts so much to know that a little one has some struggles ahead. We would be more than happy to bear them instead. But I believe that somehow the trials we have to go through are designed to make us who we are supposed to be. Our heart problems have changed each of us in different ways and I think for the most part positively. His will too and I pray that you will be around for many more years to help shape him. You had no choice of genes....neither for you or for him. When I was growing up I remember showing my dad how our feet were so alike except his were bigger. He was always so apologetic that I got his feet since he always had problems with them. For me though I loved the fact that I could see the similarity and I so loved my dad. Even now, years after his death, I often think of my dad when I look at my feet. Even though I have problems with them, I'm still glad I got his feet. I think Charlie is going to be one very loved little boy.

Yes,
As some of you have guessed, I am feeling small twinges of guilt about Charlie inheriting "my valve." If I were a person who believed life wasn't fair, I would question why our son, and now a grandson, have a bicuspid aortic valve to contend with. But that type of thinking is nonproductive, so I don't go there!
Instead I keep thinking of the past generations in our family that undoubtedly lived and died with the condition, and probably never fully understood what they had been dealt. It's mind boggling! :eek: Nevertheless, I am very thankful that a defective heart valve is no longer a death sentence, and with the advances in technology, the future looks brighter every day.:) Thank you all so much for your support, prayers, and good wishes.:)

Congrats to you all on baby Charlie...

Dont feel guilty Mary...No-one will blame you...we dont get to chose which genes we pass on. Heck...I did a good job of passing on my dodgy Bav gene too...

I am looking forward to pics of the handsome little man.

Congratulations Mary...What A Beautiful Little Guy He Is...

Congratulations Mary...What A Beautiful Little Guy He Is...

Snapped a picture before he left the hospital . . .

I hope that he gives you all the joy and happiness that babies bring to us all...Just wait until he wants you to chase him all over the house...LOL....he will wipe you right out of all energy...Again, Congratulations and big (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))) From Ole' Harrybaby to you all:D:D:D

He is gorgeous Mary!! Been waiting to see photos of him.

So glad he's home now too. How's he doing? And Brigid?

Sending love from across the pond
Emma
xxx

Mary, what a beautiful baby, of course I think every baby is beautiful. I'm so glad things are looking better for him. I'll contiue to pray for your precious grandson.

Dear Mary, I have met 4 folks outside this forum, that were all born with serious heart defects. They have all contributed tremendously to the happiness of their families, let alone contributing to society. One went on to become a doctor. I don't know if he's a cardiologist, or a surgeon, but he's a heart doc! What a gap would've been left in the world without these souls. Knowing his grandmother as I do, I'm guessing Charlie's challenges will only make him stronger. He sure succeeded in cheering all of us up! Don't give that guilt another thought! Your valve brother, Brian

Mary,

AWESOME news! Glad you snapped a pic before leaving the hospital; I look forward to more pictures in the future. :)

I can only imagine what it is like to be a grandparent; I will never be one. But ... being an uncle is just ... awesome. James E was a month old yesterday (Saturday, Dec 13) ... and he has grown so much in that short time. Just can't get enough of spending time with him.......

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...RT 66 drive = Sept '09
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Rockies are calling, Denver snow falling" ... Steve Wariner/Alabama ... 'Tennessee Christmas'

Latest posts

Back