Power Recliners.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeepnOut

Hi everyone, I have a surgery date for the end of April (30th to be exact) which will be a second go at the surgery. I was supposed to go a few years back, but after looking at the CATH results the night before surgery the doctor decided that I didn't need to go through at that time. Fast-forward to the present day, The situation in my chest has gotten more sever with Aortic Stenosis and Aneurism and going to get the Ross procedure to get it fixed.

So I've looking at getting a powered Lazy-Boy recliner and was wondering if a powered lift chair would be worth it, or should I just stick with a the recliner? After I get out of the hospital I'll be in a medical rehab center for about 2 weeks, then to home to where the Lazy-Boy will be. I'm not really to sure how "strong" I'll be then so I'm not to sure if I should get a lift chair or not.

From your "interests" in your profile you probably are not elderly and/or frail and a power recliner should not be necessary.....especially after two weeks in a rehab center. Post op recovery, normally, is pretty fast and your strength should return quickly.......at least that was my experience as a 31 year old. A recliner would come in handy but I would save some money and just use a normal recliner

Dick is "spot-on" with his reply.
I have 4 recliners and didn't use them once. In fact it didn't even cross my mind to use them.
Granted it may help some people, but personally I feel that my strength returned faster from getting in and out of my own bed.

I agree with Dick0 here - you're a MTBer, you're obviously reasonably fit going into this surgery. Why are you going to a rehab facility for two weeks after?

From my experience, I can tell you that even if there is no-one at your house to help you out, you'll be fine on your own. I live my myself and got through two OHS rehabs on my own, I did not need to have anything done for me. I just did things a bit more slowly. :) You won't be allowed to drive for about six weeks so if you can't walk to the grocery shop you may wish to enlist people to take you there.

And the vacuuming may have to wait . . . but the only modification I made to my daily life was to put some dishes on the counter so I didn't have to lift anything over my head.

Oh, I didn't have any type of recliner. Practice getting yourself in and out of bed without using your arms before your surgery. You'll be a lot more capable than you think post-op!!

Heck, I was in my 60's when I had my valve replaced, AND I hit almost all the potholes and speed bumps in the road to recovery, and I didn't have any trouble with getting into and out of chairs, couches, beds, etc. from the day I got home. I didn't have any trouble with stairs, either. After a couple of weeks (complications are a pain, you know) I had to push my wife out the door back to work. I just didn't need a helper at home for most things. She was there to help me into and out of the shower, but truth be told, I could have done it myself. Sometimes we just want to feel comforted. . .

I agree with Dick0 here - you're a MTBer, you're obviously reasonably fit going into this surgery. Why are you going to a rehab facility for two weeks after?

Oops I completely for got I had an interests section filled out when I join this form in 2010 (when I was originally supposed to have the surgery) - I just updated it. Unfortunately I haven't been too active with Mountain Biking for last 2 years so I'm not actually that "fit" now. :( I try to keep myself somewhat active; but I am by on means a athlete or anything (hoping to change that after I'm I'll healed ha!).

I am heading to the rehab place after to get some strength to be able to walk up (and down) a full flight of stairs since my apartment is on the second story of a building with no elevator.

MY bed is unusually tall, being 6'2" I still need to boost myself a little bit to get into it. I figured that it might be awhile before I can get in the bed. Besides I could use the extra seating in the apartment and not to mention Lazy-Boy is having a big sale. hehe :D

All of this information is extremely helpful thank you! I am most likely going to get a recliner instead of the lift chair. I just was not to sure if the lift chair was worth it or not.

I've been pretty sedentary for the past two years, and had AVR on March 5. I was prepared for the worst, and purchased a pre-owned power recliner. I never used it to stand up/sit down - I was able to do that for myself before I left the hospital. I did enjoy having the power recline action though! It was much easier to adjust than using the lever on the lazyboy. However, here I am 3 weeks out, and I don't use the electric chair anymore. In fact, I am actively looking for someone nearby Clearwater FL to pass it on. I have two complaints about the electric chair (lol). First, it is not as adjustable as the regular recliner. Second, if I got a sudden urge to use the lavatory or a drink of water of left my phone somewhere else, I had to use the electric motor to lower the footrest, which sometimes seemed like forever.

My advice: if you can get one for free or cheap, it's worth it. We spent $175 on a used one in very good condition, it served it's purpose and gave me peace of mind *before* the surgery and about 5 uses after the surgery before I returned to my regular lazyboy.

Good luck!

I was in good shape when I had replacement, and I slept in a recliner for about 10 days after I got out of the hospital. At the time, I would have preferred not dealing with the lever. There were times when I needed to get out of the recliner and couldn't reach the lever easily, so I was stuck until someone came along. Not a problem during the day, but at night it was.
However, if you're going to be in a rehab center for two weeks post-op, I doubt that you'd have that problem. You'll probably be far enough on the road to recovery that the lever won't bother you.
Best wishes!

I like the Puffy ones

I like the Puffy ones

JO, before my AVR, I was told by one of the cardiac nurses that I would not be able to sleep in my waterbed for several weeks and maybe a couple of months until my chest healed enough. During the week before surgery, one of my brother's showed up at my house with a recliner (unpowered) as a "just in case" measure. So, after surgery Tuesday morning, I found myself home the following Sunday. The biggest problem I had was not being able to use my arms for support because of the protest by the chest muscles when I tried. That afternoon, I took a nap in my own bed and found that I had no need to sleep in the recliner at night so I never did. The recliner, however, was nice for using the computer with a lap table (Bed Bath & Beyond has a light simple one) and after walks, I sometimes took naps in it but it certainly wasn't necessary. I used it much more last year after my left knee was replaced....its important to keep the leg up when sitting to reduce swelling. For some reason, Bede will not sit in the recliner unless I am there. The cats, however, seem to love the puffy padding.

If its more comfortable for you sleep in the recliner, then sleep there but as we "old hands" tell all new members the most important thing to do is walk frequently once you are home. About the worst thing one could do is curl up in a recliner and wait for recovery to happen on its own; if there is any prejudice against recliners, I think it comes from this concern. Like all of our technology, recliners are just tools. If it works for you and speeds your recovery because you can sleep more comfortably (and that can be a problem), then it will have served you very well.

Larry

Last edited:
"I am heading to the rehab place after to get some strength to be able to walk up (and down) a full flight of stairs since my apartment is on the second story of a building with no elevator."

Mine too. It wasn't a problem. I don't mean to be so negative about a rehab facility, but I don't think you will need it and it may even impede your recovery because it won't be a quiet place and you will need to rest - plus mentally just being around people who really ARE seriously injured won't be helpful either. After 4-7 days in the hospital you will just want to get home!!

As to recliners, I have a sofa that has a chaise built into one end and spent a good portion of the first couple of days and nights at home on it. After that, pretty much normal activity. I'm sure I did some things and some movements that I shouldn't have at first, with no ill effects.

My rehab experience wasn't so good, as in I never went, as things just didn't work out. At my six-week post-surgery consult with the surgeon, he said that I had pretty much graduated rehab on my own by then. After that, I got the rehab referral in the mail. Considering my condition at that time, the time I would have to take off from work, the 45-minute drive each way, and the expense with $50 copay at each visit, I decided to wholeheartedly agree with my surgeon that I really had no need for rehab at that point.

OK - Lots to add, if I can remember what I'm thinking long enough to type it. . .

I had "digestive complications" after surgery, so I slept in a recliner for most of the first month I was home. We have electric recliners in the couches in our TV/rec room, so I slept there. I had NO problem getting into and out of bed, but my stomach was so uncomfortable there I slept in the recliner.

Our bed is also a "high" bed. I wasn't sure I would be able to climb up into it, so I just kept a small kitchen step-stool alongside the bed. Just that one step was enough to make it easy to get into bed.

Even with all of my complications after surgery (afib, rhythm issues, pacemaker, digestive issues, anemia, etc.), I did not have any problem with occasional stair climbing. In fact, the hospital wouldn't let me go home until I could walk a full flight of stairs (no matter how slowly). Our house is on 3 full-height floors. I made the trek from the lowest level to the highest several times a day with no problem, right from the start. I did tend to plan and group "reasons" for the trips, (home office and hobby room on top floor, bedroom and kitchen in middle, TV room on bottom) but I never felt that I couldn't or shouldn't go up and down. My docs agreed, and it probably helped my recovery, as it was winter in Chicago and I couldn't get out to walk as much as I should have.

If you are not use to sleeping on your back I think a recliner is useful. After my first AVR I slept in a recliner because I was not use to sleeping on my back. This time around (I'm one month post surgery) I do not use a recliner at all. As other people have said. Don't get sucked into spending your time sitting around. Even small activities such as going to the grocery store is good exercise. Good luck.

I had purchased a recliner that has power for the lift of the legs and the reclining back. It didn't lift me up out of the chair. I thought it was perfect for what I needed. I would have not been too keen on using the manual lever to lift the foot rest.
Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back