Post Operative Issues.....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harleygirl528

I haven't posted in a while because it seems I have been dealing with a multitude of post-operative issues, not the least of which is some ?depression? over not feeling better by now!
I have been experiencing what I would call an inordinate amount of sternum pain, back, neck and shoulder pain, especially considering I am 9 weeks post op today! I really did expect to feel so much better by now (my magic number was week 8 as I have read on here that many felt almost normal at this point).I had a really positive experience in the hospital, my surgery went without a hitch, I had no memory of the ventilator and overall no issues in the hospital. Even felt surprisingly well the first week post-op. After the first couple weeks, however, I did have some issues, most of which were minor but bothersome nonetheless.

I am thankful for a very successful outcome, a repaired valve that is functioning almost perfectly and no more aneurysm to worry about....however, I have sternum pain that is at times almost enough to take me to my knees. I have probably been overdoing it with some yardwork, planting flowers, weeding, etc. but at times I wonder if I have actually damaged something. I am not kidding when I say the pain in the sternum area is by far the worst it has ever been and I am 9 weeks out! I am still having a lot of trouble sleeping and I wake up with these painful spasms in the sternum area and it still feels like I have a broken rib on the left side. I am able to sleep on my side a little now and I don?t have to elevate my upper body so much but I probably wake up 4-5 times a night.

I also have this little wire poking up near the bottom of my incision and you can feel it through my skin. In fact, you can actually see the wire and I think it is very close to puncturing the skin. Cardiologist didn't have much to say about it.....unfortunately, I think if it persists I will have to see a local surgeon for evaluation. I am wondering if it could be a stitch that didn't dissolve (since I had that problem at the top of my incision) or could it be a sternal wire? I thought only bone thin people had the problem with sternal wires poking out (and God knows I am not even close to bone thin!).

That brings up another of my "issues"....I thought all of us post-op OHS patients LOST weight.....why didn't that happen for me? Oh sure, I lost the proverbial 5 pounds or so the first couple weeks when everything tasted like cardboard but that didn't last nearly long enough. My appetite and taste for food returned with a vengeance and now I am struggling to lose the weight I gained before surgery....since I knew about the aneurysm and was scared to do anything I was quite sedentary during the 3 months from discovery of aneurysm and surgery. On a positive note, I did join weight watchers last week so hopefully that will help!

Anyway, I am young and I thought fairly healthy so just feeling bad about the fact that I am not feeling more ?normal? by now?guess I need to keep it in perspective though. I am driving, exercising regularly, doing light housework, yardwork, and preparing all meals again soooo?.with that said, guess I am more back to normal than I thought. Just wish the pain would go away?..any suggestions or is this just normal?

Please talk to your doctor about the pain. Pain this far out of surgery is not typical. If you were trying to weight lift or something the pain would make sense, but not the pain you describe. I did have pain in my back and shoulder area for some time, not big pain just nagging soreness. A few massages helped me there a great deal.

As for gaining weight I went in at 185 and was released at 205. I was a blimp! It took me some time to get back to my pre-surgery weight.

Hang in there, in time you will be all better.

We have had a few members who had to have their sternal wires removed. Recently one had one snipped off that was poking out. There are things that can be done to address it.

You really cannot hold yourself to any goals set by the recovery of others. I do remember some of us being concerned with you the first few weeks after surgery because we felt you were pushing it too much. And you were upset with your family because they kept telling you to slow down. We're not viewing 24 hour spy-cam video of you (you were not one of the members we selected for this "program" ;) ) but it is possible that your discomfort may be because you were doing too much. Pulling weeds and other yard work do sound too strenuous. But it depends on when you started doing these things. People with broken bones are regularly put in casts for 8 to 10 weeks in order to keep the bone immobile. So if you have been over doing it, it's possible that the sternum was moved out of alignment or something. I'm just taking an educated guess, it sounds like an x-ray may be in order. When was the CT done for your valve and were they able to view the sternum in it?

Depression is also common. It's not unheard of for post-surgery members to ask for a little "something" to get them over the depression hump. Do not be ashamed or feel "weak" if you are someone that needs something. It is the body's response to being assaulted - and it was assaulted.

I think you need to get into the doctor to address these issues. But over-all I would say that at 9 weeks you shouldn't expect yourself to feel back to normal. I've heard that it take 6 months for general anesthesia to stop affecting the body. Your chest was opened up, your sternum cracked apart and your heart was cut and sewed on. It's a miracle surgery, but it's a hellofathing for your body to go through. Give it time to heal.

It's really really good news that your repair is looking great.

Lorie
I sent you a PM but didn't address the weight issue. I am at the same weight I was when I entered the hospital. I too thought good I could really lose a few pounds. I didn't eat much in the hospital. In fact I ate so little than my cardio told me to send out for anything I felt like eating that my body needed the calories. ;) When I came home everything tasted like cardboard and so I'd use a couple of protein drinks to make sure i was getting something. I weighed three pounds more when I came out of the hospital then when I went in and I have been playing with those ever since. Like you my appetite has returned. I can not seem to get enough to eat and I want junk.
Stay in touch and I wish you well.
Earline
PS I'm more than three pounds overweight.:mad:

First off, congratulations on the 9 week milestone. Despite the goal you set yourself, you sound like you are doing fine. Feeling "normal" at week 9 is the exception not the rule so perhap it was a stretch goal.

I'd get the pain checked out, but it could be your body telling you that you are over doing it. As you've heard time and time again, eveyone is different. However, from what you describe, you are doing much more physical activity than I was doing at 9 weeks....and I was asymptomatic going into OHS. If anything, I felt much worse post-op than I ever did pre-op. Now 2 years out, I can honestly say I did not really feel as good as I did pre-op until well past 12 months.

Even when I went back to work at week 12, I was feeling far from "normal" and still limited my physical activities (I had a desk job). I had a lot of discomfort around the incision as well as achy back, shoulder, and neck muscles. The more "normal" stuff I tried to do, the worse it got and the more frustrated I got. I learned that pushing it just sets you back. Unfortunately, frustration can lead to depression. However, once I accepted the fact that I wasn't going to be feeling "normal" anytime soon, I learned to be patient and cope with the slowness of my recovery, and was then better able to listen to my body, and pace myself accordingly. I was much happier and at peace with myself after that. Hang in there and pace yourself and it will get better.

I have been thinking about you, wondering how you are...

I have been thinking about you, wondering how you are...

When I went for my first post op check with the surgeon, around 5 weeks, I asked him how do they and I know that my sternum is healing correctly. He replied, believe me if it was not we would all know it.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, I'll tell you something that happened to me 2 days after I was home from the hospital and I anguished about it until I saw the surgeon and so the reason for my question.

I was out in my backyard watching animal control catch a raccoon that took refuge on my back porch during the night. When I was walking back up to the porch, I tripped and fell in the yard, got up forgetting I had just come home 2 days earlier from OHS, and I fell again. (dang pain killers or just clumsiness) :( My husband was not home, the animal control guy was behind the barn wrestling with the raccoon, so I called my sister the nurse and told her what happened, she made me call the surgeons office, then I had to tell my husband when he called to check on me. I was more afraid to tell my husband, he knows I fell once but not twice. Anyway, I never hit my chest on the ground, my shoulders were sore from stopping my fall and picking myself up, but otherwise I was fine. The next day I was in extreme pain in my arms, shoulders and neck. I felt like my sternum moved when I reached for something but was too afraid to tell anyone. I took it easy and didn't do anything I wasn't supposed to be doing until that post op visit. My sternum is healed and I do not have pain so I was very lucky.

If you are having sternum pain, they need to take xrays and see what's going on, if wires are sticking out, you'll need to have them take care of that as well. You don't want infection finding it's way inside from the wire.

I'm so sorry you are having so much difficulty with recovery, you have been through so much already. Please let us know how things turn out.

I am sorry you are having so much sternum pain. I never had sternum pain but about 6-8 weeks postop, I had REALLY BAD shoulder pain. I started in my shoulders and went all the way to my neck. My PCP thought it was a form of bursitis from your back being pinned back for the surgery. My cardiologist did not find any problems. I took Tylenol, the first time I took anything for pain after I was home. It took quite a while to go away.
As for depression, I don't think I was depressed. I just had a bad case of the "blahs". I did not feel like doing anything, not even reading ...and I love to read. But I was not unhappy. I was happy doing nothing. I watched TV, laid around the house , went to work and did a bare minimum. It took about 6 months before I felt like myself again.
Hang in there . But I would have that sternum pain checked out.

At 9 weeks I was not doing yardwork, not driving, not sleeping well, not cooking, etc. and that is when my depression seemed to really kick in. But I was doing laundry, and dusting, and caring for my pets. It was not much, but I could feel that my sternum needed more time.
You may want to spread out the physical activities until your sternum is pain free. Best wishes.:)

Think you've gotten some really good replies here. Would be a good idea to get the pain checked out and to consider cutting back the activities a while.

As for weight, I thought I would lose a ton of it, so to speak, but really didn't. Got into 32 sessions of cardiac rehab, and benefitted from it, but even then didn't lose but a pound or two. Now, three years later, I am finally losing some weight. Don't have a scientific explanation but I think after surgery our bodies are readjusting in a lot of ways, and some hoped-for changes just take time and patience to achieve.

I had just been thinking about you. I noticed that you hadn't posted in a while and was concerned. Hoped maybe you went on vacation.

I can not really help you on this as my surgery is April 10Th. I can say though that when my husband had bypass the doctor said that once in a while the wire will poke through. Told me I could clip it with nail clipper. I told him hell NO. I pictured clipping a knot and the whole thing unraveling...It turned out that it did poke through a little and he was at the cardio and they clipped it. Also they told us to watch for depression with heart surgery and I had noticed that I thought he maybe going there, once he was able to drive again he was fine.

Hope you feel better
xoxo
Just
Kathy M

Lorie,
It does sound like you are doing a lot, but the fact that the pain just about drops you should be checked out by a doctor. The depression is very normal. My son's docs warned me to watch for it. They said that the biggest, burliest guys would be in their offices crying. So, bottom line, give yourself a break - You have been through a lot, both physically and mentally. It will take some time to get through that part of it. Don't hesitate to seek help either. I'm not the patient, but I have been in therapy ever since Brian's surgery and so has he.

Keep posting. These fine folks will save your life and sanity.

Lorie,

Since you 'got on' with Dr. Raissi so well, I'm thinking it might be wise to drop him an e-mail or note or even a phone call at a time that would not be disruptive, just to discuss your progress and/or lack of same.

I recall my sternum being 'stiff and sore' and even 'tight' for a while after what should have been enough time for it to be healed. It took a while for my chest and upper body to feel 'comfortable' and 'right' again. The 'arm-cycle' machines at Cardiac Rehab were especially helpful in loosening up my upper arms, back, chest, and shoulders.

'AL Capshaw'

Thanks so much for the advice and encouragement everyone! I agree, I am probably overdoing it and my body is letting me know. I am going to scale back for a few days and try and see if that helps. I am going to contact Dr. Raissi, I just hesitate to call him with minor things as I know he is very busy but, on the other hand, I know that he cares and would prefer I contact him rather than suffer needlessly.
In terms of the wire poking up, I think I am going to go to a cardiothoracic surgeon here locally to see if he can take care of it. It is annoying more than painful but I just feel it needs to be addressed.

Part of the problem for me is the fact that I had ongoing back problems prior to my aneurysm diagnosis. In fact, it was during an MRI of my spine that the aneurysm was detected. I have a compression fracture of my spine that healed incorrectly and subsequently caused some damage to my cervical spine where it sort of collapsed over causing kyphosis so I am sure the majority of my pain is from these pre-existing issues. I was warned prior to surgery that my back would be far more painful in the long run than any pain from OHS.

I am concerned about the sternum pain, however, and perhaps the x-ray to evaluate the sternal wire will also clear up any questions about how the sternum is healing. I am also wondering if I don't have a bit of costochondrotis myself.....when I met with Susan in CA she mentioned a bout of costochondritis that caused a sensation like a broken rib...? this sound famliar to anyone else? I guess I need to google costochondritis and see specifically what the symptoms are...although I don't know of any specific treatment, if any, other than time. The broken rib thing has been going on for a long time but the sternum pain is new and I can attribute to to about the time I started doing yardwork...my husband says I just don't know when to stop and commonly overdo it :rolleyes: Guess I need to start listening to him!

This is major surgery and thanks, Oaktree, for reminding me this is a "big deal" and to just be alive and feel as good as I do just 9 weeks later is a lot to be thankful for.

Thanks again everyone!

Hi Lorie - I'm so sorry you've been hurting physically and otherwise. I so enjoyed visiting with you in Escondido! You speak so fluently and with such exuberant and vibrant energy in person--just like your posts! Anyway, I was going to suggest the costochondritis issue again as I was reading through these posts, but saw that Rachel mentioned it and then you did again. It came on me some weeks after the surgery and was really badly painful--it brought tears to my eyes several times. I have a friend the same age as me who developed it from something else (running I think) and she took some meds for it (including some steroids) and is better where I didn't take any meds and mine took awhile to get better and still gives me a little zing now and then to remind me that my rib was injured. I hope you're feeling much better very soon! Take care :) !

Oaktree said:
It can take a long time for the sternum to heal. I don't think "nearly normal at eight weeks" is all that usual. It certainly is not how things went for me. I had a bout of costochondritis that kicked in after each surgery -- about three weeks after the first OHS and about three months after the second OHS. The costochondritis was quite painful, and it took about two months each time just to get over that. You have mentioned that you had some pre-existing back problems, so I am sure that complicates the recovery for you.

In addition to the obvious fact that you were split open like a chicken for Sunday dinner, the alignment of the ribcage may not be precisely the same as it was presurgically. In that case, you have something else to adjust to. I think my costochondritis was secondary to that: the change in alignment of the ribcage. The second time that I had costochondritis, I believe it was triggered by a sternal wire breaking about three months after surgery, which caused another slight shift.

I wonder if you might have a broken sternal wire. It is pretty common. A simple chest x-ray would show it, as it did for me.

I would not put up with a wire sticking me internally. Sternal wires can be removed if they cause problems. Bryan B had his removed and I believe he is glad. (My broken wire stopped hurting me after a while, and no way would I go through a "procedure" for something that is no longer bothering me.)

About the weight, have you lost the excess fluid that you were retaining before surgery? I remember your saying that your socks were leaving a line around your ankles.

This surgery is more major and the recovery takes longer than a lot of people think.

Read Psalmists post-surgical posts and people's replies to him. He had his surgery about six months ago and is posting with similar issues -- that he thinks he should be well by now, and he gets frustrated that he's not all the way back to normal yet. But he is normal, for what he's gone through, and so are you. This is just a really, really strenuous experience.

Best wishes.

Yep that was me, and even though my surgeon said after a MRI he didn't see anything that would be causing my pain, and even though my surgeon said after removing my sternal wires that he didn't see anything that would be causing my pain...once my incision healed from the sternal wire removal my pain gradually dissipated until it was completely gone (and hasn't returned since). The only thing is that he would not consider removing the sternal wires until I reached 6 months post-op. I had my Ross Procedure in March and had my wires removed in October. It's definitely worth getting checked out as it could just be overdoing it...it could be your sternal wires poking you...or it could be sternal dehiscence (rare but dangerous).

Lorie

Lorie

Dear Lorie, thanks for posting and giving us an update. Sorry to hear your not quite where you thought you'd be by now, I'm sure your back issue has something to do with it. I'm still sleeping in the recliner(8weeks post-op tomarrow) if I sleep on my side in bed I'm sore all over the next day. I love my chair and my husband loves having the bed all to himself! :D :D Debbie

harleygirl528 said:
I am going to contact Dr. Raissi, I just hesitate to call him with minor things as I know he is very busy but, on the other hand, I know that he cares and would prefer I contact him rather than suffer needlessly.

Hi Lori,

This is probably too late a response, but I was thinking that since you'll be contacting Dr. Raissi, although you probably have already, perhaps he could steer you in the right direction regarding a local cardiothoracic surgeon.

Anyway, I think I read that you haven't posted in a while because of numerous bumps in the road that you were experiencing. I believe that's the perfect time to post. I know when Tom's going through something I always ask if he's posted to get some feedback.

When I think of you weeding and doing all sorts of yardwork, I cringe, even though you may be eight/nine weeks post. Plus, my sister (who lives in Sedona) has costochondritis, which occasionally is very painful.

I hope all this resolves soon. Take care,

Judith

There have been alot of great suggestions posted here on this thread. I would, first and foremost, consult your cardio about the pain first. If he/she isn't interested in your discomfort, I'd consult your surgeon. One thing that may be aggravating your pain is the amount of activity you've been doing. I'd be careful, though I'm the first to over-do it myself. A call to the surgeon would probably be your best bet.

As far as weight gain, I think everyone is different. I left the hospital about 5 lbs heavier than my pre-surgery weight. I've since lost it and then some, but again, everyone is different. I commend you on joining Weight Watchers! I've heard that the program really works.

Good luck to you and keep us posted as to how you are doing and what your surgeon says.

Take care!

6 months out and I've gained 30lbs :eek: However, I have a body/metabolism that only needs to look at food to gain, and I have been having ongoing issues with diarrhea (gastro appt. April 1st, no kidding !) so have not been eating as much veg/fruit/beans as usual, and replacing it with bread, potatoes, rice and pasta - another :eek: , maybe even several :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hi Lorie!! I'm not around much these days.....life has got me spinning....but I do want to let you know that I'm thinking about you! I hope that everyone's accounts and suggestions are helpful. Frankly, if I called my cardio and he/she didn't seem too interested I'd MAKE them interested!!! They need to direct you to the right person so that you don't go on a wild goose chase! Seriously! It's not like they've never had post-valve replacement patients before!! :mad:

The only thing I can add is that I didn't feel "right" for 18 months!!!! That isn't to say that I didn't progress and feel better throughout my recovery. But that feeling of oh, yeah, this is me again....just did not happen any time soon. Maybe people living in warm climates have a quicker return. We have had so much rain and damp, cold weather here in the Northwest....that may be adding to your achiness.

Definitely, get yourself xrayed about that wire. I always thought my guy was nuts for using dacron thread to sew up my sternum, but after reading all these accounts of bad experiences with wires....I'm glad I can't get a magnet to stick on my chest!! Sorry it is so tough.

But, anyway....YOU hang in there. It's not like you to be depressed even one iota so just toss that notion in the wastebin right now!!!! This is what it is. We are dealt different hands like we're all in a card game. The nice thing is, as we live and breathe, we are all winners in this particular game. So accept that your recovery is abit more involved than some of ours (and by your own admission, your back problems were predicted to be a problem), take a deep breath, shoulders back, gently, head high and march on. This is just temporary...another little puzzle for your wonderful brain to unravel.

This is all meant in love and support!!!

Keep posting. That's why we're here!!

Marguerite

Latest posts

Back