Post Op Hikes

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes

I'm 7 months post-op and finally back to my full pre-op hiking routine.

Yesterday was my first full-on endurance test, and I passed. A 2000m (6700ft) vertical elevation change, and lots of snow. The peak was 2800m (9200ft) high, but I had no altitude sickness or strange palpitations. I measured my resting pulse this morning and........normal.

thanks for all of your kind words and encouragement. i'm still a bit sore after my monstrous climb - I guess I'm not as young as I used to be! I had so many doubts about what I'd be able to do post-op and how quickly I'd be able to do it. My advice for those who're in the waiting room is to take it one step at a time during recovery and to stay positive. :)

Congratulations Wes! It's inspiring to read these recovery stories. I'm about 17 weeks post-op and I'm starting to feel like my "running legs" are returning back to normal. I've still got a long ways to go but it is inspiring AND motivating to read updates like yours.

Steve C.

well done!

well done!

dear Wes

would you mind telling me more about which mountain you climbed?

I just came back from trekking up Mount Gede in Indonesia (starts at 1450 meters asl, peak is 2950 meters asl), which I managed to do relatively well.

My concern is not really physicall/mental fitness, because that is something I believe can be acquired in the gym and during practise hikes. However, I havent gotten around how to plan and manage emergencies, which in the case of a warfarin-addict that I am, gets a few additional spins to it.

ar bee

I'm 7 months post-op and finally back to my full pre-op hiking routine.

Yesterday was my first full-on endurance test, and I passed. A 2000m (6700ft) vertical elevation change, and lots of snow. The peak was 2800m (9200ft) high, but I had no altitude sickness or strange palpitations. I measured my resting pulse this morning and........normal.

ar bee:

sorry for the late reply. I just saw your posting.

I climbed Mt. Goryu in the Japan Alps. I'm also trying to work out a way to deal with the warfarin issue. Usually when I go hiking I take an extra week's worth of medication just in case something goes wrong. In Japan we have a good registration system for hikes/treks. Usually there's a registration box and the trailhead and you fill out all of the necessary information on the card and drop it in the box. That way if someone reports you missing then the search and rescue teams can use the info you filled out to assist with rescue operations. It's really important to do this if you're out hiking on your own (which I was).

Latest posts

Back