Plavix vs Warfarin side effects

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gadoty1

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Just curious about wether Plavix is any better than coumadin if I had a choice. Thinking about the OnX trials and I dont know that it would be any advantage really to be on Plavix instead of coumadin other than the fact that i wouldn't have to check my INR and I guess there arent as many interactions with foods and meds. I work in a dentist office and have patients on Plavix and they seem to complain more about bruising and feeling badly. My pts on coumadin dont really seem to complain as much, but I could be partial to it. Are there long term effects of Plavix? Are the side effects any different than Coumadin?

They each work differently, so I don't think Plavix can be interchanged with Coumadin.

This is what one site said, "Plavix, just like aspirin, is effective in treating arterial clots so it is mostly prescribed in risk of stroke, heart attack, peripheral arterial disease, whereas coumadin is effective in treating venous clots deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary embolism."

They each work differently, so I don't think Plavix can be interchanged with Coumadin.

This is what one site said, "Plavix, just like aspirin, is effective in treating arterial clots so it is mostly prescribed in risk of stroke, heart attack, peripheral arterial disease, whereas coumadin is effective in treating venous clots deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary embolism."

Nancy, I believe she is talking about the ON-X trials and one of the legs is plavix/aspirin instead of coumadin.

One thing is certain, Plavix is expensive. 30 tablets $165.99

Brand Name Coumadin 30 tablets $50.30

Generic Warfarin 30 tablets $13.99

and beside being expensive, i've personally heard of more people having problems, bad bruising ect with plavix than coumadin

Plavix v. Coumadin

Plavix v. Coumadin

Other than the non interchangability of the two drugs for folks who are not included in the On-X study, I've not heard much. Obviously, Plavix hasn't been around as long a coumadin. Research substantiated side effects are probably still something of a question.

-Philip

Many Pharmacies (Walmart, CVS, others) offer 30 tables of Generic Warfarin for $4 or $5
and 90 tablets for $10 or $12.

'AL Capshaw'

Many Pharmacies (Walmart, CVS, others) offer 30 tables of Generic Warfarin for $4 or $5

'AL Capshaw'

I pay $10 for 90 tabs of warfarin @ Walmart.
90 days' worth of Plavix (75mg) through my insurance company would be $90-$92 by mail order. Not sure if there's a generic for Plavix.
That's a moot point for me: I'm a St. Jude dude, er dudette; my valve is in the mitral position; and I have my own INR tester.

Just a thought on the financial side of things. There is a generic Plavix available in Canada and a few years out in the US. With Plavix you spend more on the meds but, do not have to pay the Coumadin Clinic. I think without insurance it is about even on the cost.
My understanding is that some people have severe reactions with Plavix as with Coumadin if not managed well. When I got on the trial I was told that I was the one in 10 that actually ended up on Plavix because most people are weeded out before randomization. I have not been on Plavix long enough to tell you if my reaction is any different than from Coumadin. I can tell you that it is nice to be able to binge eat greens.
If you are thinking about it understand that both have risks. You are probably right that on Plavix you bruise easier yet have less to think about but, that some people are just predispositioned to not do well on it. I can't imagine the long term effects of either as really being the best thing in life though both are better than a stroke.

'AL Capshaw'

My plan provides 90 days of warfarin for $2.00. The Sams Club advertises Plavix at $160 per 30. About the only advantage of Plavix that I can think of is it has to taste better than the warfarin. I have had it stick a couple of times and it is the nastiest stuff!

My plan provides 90 days of warfarin for $2.00. The Sams Club advertises Plavix at $160 per 30. About the only advantage of Plavix that I can think of is it has to taste better than the warfarin. I have had it stick a couple of times and it is the nastiest stuff!

It certainly is bitter, isn't it!!!!!!!!!

Both warfarin and Plavix have black box warnings.

Coumadin (TM for warfarin sodium) has been on the market since June 1954. Plavix (clopidogrel) will become generic in 2012 in the U.S., from what I could glean on the internet.

I've found that pills seem to go down easier when taken with Juice (Juicy Juice or Orange Juice) rather than Water.

'AL Capshaw'

2 weeks on Plavix and not dead yet!!! I do notice that I bleed longer when punctured than when I was on Coumadin.

Latest posts

Back