Percutaneious replacement of aortic valves

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, here's my stupid question for the day. I understand the placement strategy and the advantages of it, but how the heck does the valve stay in place?

Are you asking how the valve in the stent stays in place, or all stents in general stay in place?

For those who have researched the development of the percutaneous replacement of tissue valves, are there any technological or hurdles standing in its way, or is it just a matter of the surgical community getting more experience with it or mastering the technique? If there are no technical or developmental obstacles to it, I would think that the surgical community would begin to master it and it would be commonplace within a few years. Any thoughts out there?

For those who have researched the development of the percutaneous replacement of tissue valves, are there any technological or hurdles standing in its way, or is it just a matter of the surgical community getting more experience with it or mastering the technique? If there are no technical or developmental obstacles to it, I would think that the surgical community would begin to master it and it would be commonplace within a few years. Any thoughts out there?

I can't find the article, but the prosthesis has been known to become unseated and in some cases, cause catastrophic failure.

Some day, I've got to get organized. I have all this stuff saved, but trying to find it when you need it, is a whole different story.

Are you asking how the valve in the stent stays in place, or all stents in general stay in place?

From what I understand about this type of valve replacement, the valve is placed with a stent but what keeps the valve in place? The valve opens and closes so darn many times; it's almost like constant motion; what keeps it from shifting? I would think even a tiny shift in position could be catastrophic? I don't feel real optimistic about it unless there's some way to crazy glue it in place.

From what I understand about this type of valve replacement, the valve is placed with a stent but what keeps the valve in place? The valve opens and closes so darn many times; it's almost like constant motion; what keeps it from shifting? I would think even a tiny shift in position could be catastrophic? I don't feel real optimistic about it unless there's some way to crazy glue it in place.

The valve, well individual leaflets, are sewn into the stent, like it would be attached to regular rings they use to sew in valves now. The stent works like all the other stents and shortly after they are placed, the cells grow thru the openings in the "cage" and it basically becomes part of the aorta or where ever it is placed. Sometimes stents fail, but it is pretty rare which is why they have replaced many kinds of surgeries with stents, heart, kidneys ect.

Latest posts

Back