Panic Attacks: 4 Weeks After OHS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maria

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi Everyone,

For those of you who were aware of my husband's leaking incision, it's all better now! Either time or his antibiotics cleared everything up. Thank the Lord.

The most troubling post-surgery issue now is sleeplessness (for both of us) and -- more worrisome -- panic attacks. Last night, for instance, my 29-year-old husband -- 26 days post-op for an aortic aneurysm -- starting feeling pain in his chest. He had been sleeping on his side. He said it's difficult to determine whether his chest pain is coming from the incision, from his healing muscles, or from his heart itself. When he feels different chest pain, he starts having difficulty breathing/swallowing, tremors, and panic. He's experienced this before, and his doctors have given him Ativan to calm him down when he starts getting an attack. After two Ativan last night, he was perfectly fine.

He literally had his first panic attack the same day we got his diagnosis back in the summer. I wonder how long these anxiety symptoms will persist. His anxiety causes ME anxiety. My heart rate shoots to 120+. Has anyone been through this? Any advice for coping (for my husband and myself)?

Thanks so much!
Maria

I'm glad to hear that his incision has finally healed itself. That has to be a relief to both of you. Pain like he is experiencing after waking up from sleeping on his side, in my experience, is not uncommon. Your muscles have been through a terrible trauma, not just in your chest, but your shoulders and back as well, and when you lie still in one position for a couple of hours while sleeping, everything gets stiff and starts to really hurt. For me, waking up in the middle of the night like that was one of the most painful times of the day for me.

As for the anxiety, I think that is completely normal as well. Some experience it more than others. It may serve both of you well to find a therapist who specializes in dealing with people who have medical issues and post traumatic stress syndrome, because he really may have a touch of that. I saw a therapist for a while afterwards and she helped me tremendously. Drugs are great, but they are only going to help so much and you don't want to have to take them forever.

Good luck to you both.

Kim

Thank you, Kim! Good to know about the side-sleeping pain. He was a body builder, so his surgeon said he had to cut through a lot of muscle too, which makes him even more pain than normal.

I appreciate your advice!
~Maria

The entire process of finding out about this, adjusting to it, and submitting to open-heart surgery to get this fixed (especially the first time) is scary as hell. His reaction is not surprising, especially for a young buck of 29 who probably still felt immortal before this came along. He's been through a lot.

We are all incredibly tuned in to our hearts after surgery (again, especially the first time). Many people have difficulty sleeping altogether. Some positions may feel creepy or painful (particularly sleeping on the left side, which can initiate harmless PACs and PVCs), which can cause concern. We feel many unusual things after the surgery, but have no idea whether they are harmful or not. That's innately conflicting.

It might be good to get him to a counsellor, where he can talk about his perfectly natural fears and disappointment and dump them on the table without fear of being judged. It may also help to keep him from developing depression, which some people do get after heart surgery. You've been through a lot with this, too, so spreading the load with a professional is not a bad thing.

Best wishes,

Maria,
I can relate and sorry to hear. I am coming up on ten weeks post op for aortic aneurysm, and am in my early 30s. I had terrible anxiety issues at the time of my diagnosis as well. And I also wondered about the different pains post op. It's scary. One thing that might help - I am on atenolol (a beta blocker) and I take it at night before bed. Seems to help. I would assume your husband is on a beta blocker...if so, maybe he could take it before bed (if he isn't doing that already) if his doctors think it's ok. Just a thought. Good luck.

The entire process of finding out about this, adjusting to it, and submitting to open-heart surgery to get this fixed (especially the first time) is scary as hell. His reaction is not surprising, especially for a young buck of 29 who probably still felt immortal before this came along. He's been through a lot.

We are all incredibly tuned in to our hearts after surgery (again, especially the first time). Many people have difficulty sleeping altogether. Some positions may feel creepy or painful (particularly sleeping on the left side, which can initiate harmless PACs and PVCs), which can cause concern. We feel many unusual things after the surgery, but have no idea whether they are harmful or not. That's innately conflicting.

It might be good to get him to a counsellor, where he can talk about his perfectly natural fears and disappointment and dump them on the table without fear of being judged. It may also help to keep him from developing depression, which some people do get after heart surgery. You've been through a lot with this, too, so spreading the load with a professional is not a bad thing.

Best wishes,

I have to agree completely with Bob on this as not only are we tuned into our hearts but our whole body and as to our SOs they lay beside us listening to every breath and share our anxiety every step of the way

Greg

Thanks, Bob, Gregory & Greg -- it really helps to hear first-hand that others have been through post-surgical symptoms so similar. I think your advice about a counselor is a good one! He's a "tough guy" though, so it's hard to convince him of such . . .

Maria,
I can relate and sorry to hear. I am coming up on ten weeks post op for aortic aneurysm, and am in my early 30s. I had terrible anxiety issues at the time of my diagnosis as well. And I also wondered about the different pains post op. It's scary. One thing that might help - I am on atenolol (a beta blocker) and I take it at night before bed. Seems to help. I would assume your husband is on a beta blocker...if so, maybe he could take it before bed (if he isn't doing that already) if his doctors think it's ok. Just a thought. Good luck.

Thanks for the recommendation, Gregory! He takes his beta blocker (metoprolol) in the mornings. How exactly does it help you at nighttime -- does it keep your heart calmer? I'd love to know!

~Maria

MANY OHS patients find that sleeping in a Recliner, propped against the back of a couch, or using Body Pillows is more comfortable than trying to sleep normally in a bed for the first several weeks, maybe even a couple of months.

And Yeah, the first time around, Heart 'stuff' can freak one out. After he becomes familiar with his 'new normal' and knows what is not threatening, (e.g. non-life-threatening arrhythmias such as PAC's, PVC's, even A-Fib, muscle pains) hopefully his anxiety will calm down.

'AL Capshaw'

Thanks for the input, Al. We actually bought him a recliner that sits right beside our bed. Most nights, he starts out in the bed, gets uncomfortable or wakes up drenched from night sweats, and spends the rest of the night in the recliner. It's been a Godsend! I think I need to learn more about PACs and PVCs, because none of his doctors have mentioned any of those. The more you know, the more it helps (usually, at least!)

~Maria

Maria, you both are going to be just fine. You have found vr.org :)
Post op I hadn't found this site and the panic and anxiety were just horrible. Whenever my cardio doc had tried to
mention the upcoming surgery I would get dizzy and almost faint. Some of us just aren't wired for this kind of thing,
and my husband was beyond freaked out so that wasn't much help either.
I am taking the regular 2x daily Metoprolol which wears off too fast for my liking, 3 doses is what I need.
You may want to check if your Meto is the once (extended release) or twice daily version.

I am taking the regular 2x daily Metoprolol which wears off too fast for my liking, 3 doses is what I need.
You may want to check if your Meto is the once (extended release) or twice daily version.

Since he takes it only once a day, I assume (though one should never assume!) that his Meto is the extended-release version. I'll find out soon (as we have an appointment with his cardiologist next week). I'm wondering if the night sweats might also be from Tylenol 3, which he still takes every 4 hours or so.

Tylenol 3 would put me on the floor for sure. Strong stuff, but if he needs it and gets some benefit from it then it may be worth taking for a few days.

Bina, he's such an ox (in a good way!) that it doesn't even make him sleepy. His chest really starts hurting after a few hours without it, though.

Bina, he's such an ox (in a good way!) that it doesn't even make him sleepy. His chest really starts hurting after a few hours without it, though.

Then the pain reliever is doing it's job, good !
His body has been through alot and every week will show improvement in some way or another.
It is rough, but hang in there.

Teaching yourself to breath "in through the nose, out through the mouth" technique may also help to calm your hubby. Doing this 5 to 10 times may help the body to relax.

Teaching yourself to breath "in through the nose, out through the mouth" technique may also help to calm your hubby. Doing this 5 to 10 times may help the body to relax.

YES, slow breathing for a few minutes at a time is very beneficial.
And focusing on relaxing any tense muscle areas....I do this at the dentist office when I get nervous.

Hi Maria. 26 days out is pretty new. I had a good supply of Ativan when I left hospital and took them most nights for awhile just to help me sleep. I slept on the sofa ,semi reclined against the back for the first month and still sleep poorly as the icisional pain kept reminding me what I went thru. Also I found that the metprolol gave me scary nightmares so went off of it as soon as I could. I'm six months out now but still feel some discomfort when I turn in bed but it's getting better.
I found having a blood pressure monitor helped me play junior surgeon and reassure myself that everything was okay whenever my heart pounded or I felt something weird.

Latest posts

Back