Pain increasing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorimacm

Wondering if this is common or if I'm being a baby, but my pain seems to be increasing.

I am almost 2 weeks post op and know I do have weeks to go before feeling good again, but didn't think I would have more pain. I do feel numbness in my chest but I think some of the feeling is coming back because the pain across my chest (muscles) is getting worse. Incision pain has increased as well, again could this be getting feeling back following surgery. If you just isolate from neck to bottom of ribs seems to have more discomfort. Incision looks good no infection. I could be moving around too much, but I'm finding it hard to just lay around. It's really hard to keep my arms from moving around and you know how every movement of your arm uses muscles in your upper body.

Thanks all for your input.

Lori

Having not been in your shoes yet, I don't know if this is normal or not, but I think it is worth a call to your Dr. to find out. If some sort of infection is starting to brew, you don't want it to get too far.

Good luck and hope you are feeling much better soon.

Rhena

Lori,

Your incision may have healed, but your heart is still healing! I am sure being a mom to a beautiful little child keeps you busy all day and you may just need to slow down until your heart heals completely. But if in doubt about the pain, you need to check with your doctor.

Good luck and keep us posted.:)

Some of it could be related to returning feeling or moving around more, but it could also be related to fluid buildup, which is pretty common, but needs to be treated in some manner. If it is worse when you are on your back or lean forward to do something like tie your shoes, it could be fluid. I would recommend that you call your doctor just in case.

Some of it could be related to returning feeling or moving around more, but it could also be related to fluid buildup, which is pretty common, but needs to be treated in some manner. If it is worse when you are on your back or lean forward to do something like tie your shoes, it could be fluid. I would recommend that you call your doctor just in case.

I agree with Lisa. I would call the doctor and get it checked if you have more pain now. Also I'm a little confused by "I could be moving around too much, but I'm finding it hard to just lay around. It's really hard to keep my arms from moving around and you know how every movement of your arm uses muscles in your upper body." I'm not sure how much moving you are doing, but were you told to lay around? Justin was never told not to move his arms much after his surgery, he was actually encouraged to move them around, light stretches ect, He was just told to not lift 5 (or so, I can't remeber the exact weights) pounds.

PS have you had any fevers?

Pain control meds will help, like vicodin.....especially so soon after surgery.....it takes time to heal and the pain will gradually diminish. This was my experience.

You are not being a baby, I was operated on 7/30 and my pain got worse about 2 weeks ago, I waited a few days before checking it out, It turns out I have pericarditis, which is being treated with NSAIDS for now, I am still in pain after 7 days of 1000 mg a day of Naproxen, had to actually take a Vicoden yesterday. Have another 7days to go then call the cardio if it does not get better. Call the doctor.......

it's still early yet. if you (or any of us) has a question or worry don't hesitate to contact your doctor or your doctor's assistant. they can reassure you or advise you what to do next. I hope your pain eases soon.

Thanks for the advice, I think I will call him today. It's not horrible pain but does seem more than last week and no fever. I will talk to doc today and I do have appt on Wed to follow-up as well. I have already started my list of questions.

Thanks again all!
Lori

It could very well be your sternum healing, I still have to be careful how I pick things up and move things. I still can't vacumn (darn it). I would ask him at your check up, are you wearing your surgery bra? That really helps alot! Glad you are home and doing well enough to type. many prayers your way! You are a trooper!

Well, it shouldn't hurt to check it out with your doctor to ensure you're not starting with fluid or pericarditis.

However, a return or localization (with intensification) of the pain in the chest muscles and sternum is not particularly out of the ordinary, weeks after the surgery. It's a part of the late healing process.

I did a couple of minor things (I thought) yesterday, and my chest hurts like heck today. So, being a moron can cause it as well.

Moving is good. Scrubbing dishes or floors is bad. Stretching is fine. Tugging or lifting is bad. Keeping your back straight to take full breaths is good. Bending over to pick things up off the floor is bad.

No excuses. Dumb is dumb. You know better. And so did I.

Best wishes,

Two Questions:

Did your Surgeon give you a Lifting / Pulling / Pushing Weight limit schedule?

Have you been picking up your child?

Ok Bob maybe I'm a bit moronic! I haven't picked anything up over my weight limit but I have been doing alot of straightening up the house, bed so arms are probably doing too much work. And NO I have not picked up my boy.....I wish I could and give him a big bear hug! I thinking more that I am doing too much with arms, lifting small items, pulling and I need lay off the upper body and take more walks. It's hard to find that middle ground where I'm not being lazy but not to over do it. I see the doctor tomorrow, so hopefully all will be well and it's just me doing too much lifting (or being a moron).

Thanks again,
Lori

Did you call the doc yesterday? IF there is a problem with fluid or something else, it really is much better to catch it as early as you can.

Making a bed is very hard on your chest. So many things we don't realize are dependent on those muscles in and above our rib cages.

I do understand your desire to do a bit of housework. Among a number of other things, I opened a drain line and snaked a drain that wasn't running. In retrospect, even the pipe wrench (of course only the biggest one I had would fit) was too heavy for me to be lifting.

We just can't do that stuff for a while.

My chest hurt so bad yesterday, I was losing confidence in my decision that it was just enraged muscles and nerves. I tried Excedrin, Orudis, and later Motrin, as the day progressed and each one wore off. I used the NSAIDS instead of going back to the Tramadol, because I figured the NSAIDS would also help with the inflammation. Today, it's much better, so I'm relieved I stood my ground. But it did highlight to me that I did this to myself.

It's easy to want to do more than we should at this point - especially women lose sight of their limitations, because the house starts to seriously need some attention, and most women can't bear that. But we've just got to settle back: walk, breathe, sleep.

Very best wishes,

My own pain increased a bit over time before lessening. I had almost no pain at all in the hospital, a very welcome feeling! When I got home the pain increased, both because I increased my activity and from previous surgical experience, from regaining feeling. When I had my ribs worked on 20 years ago I had intermittent pain for a few years (!) after surgery. I can tell already that this is going to be easier. I have some odd muscle twinges now and then, when I lay on my side and reach across (like any country doc would tell you when you say, "hey doc, it hurts when I do this", "well then don't do that!"). But my incision HAS become a bit more tender and I've had an increase in my rib pain that's now subsiding 7 weeks out.

I also tried to cut back on high powered pain meds asap, since one very unfortunate side effect was the first constipation of my life. Prune juice and dropping the meds helped a bunch and the pain was very manageable.

So - if the doc says that nothing appears to be wrong, he might be right. Then again, our bodies are pretty sensitive little buggers and are quick to tell us when something's wrong.

fyi...I've come to learn there are good days and bad days in this whole mending process thing.

I am 3 weeks post op now...but during my 2nd week, I was feeling so good that I was taking no pain meds multiple days in a row....then Saturday I made the mistake of driving my manual 6 speed sports car - and paid dearly for it that night and the next day. Spent the next 2.5 days back on ibuprofen and extra strength tylenol...fortunately, it seems to have imroved again...I didn't take anything all day yesterday.

I tend to concur with what has already been posted in this thread:
1. Pain may increase from time to time due to:
a. Healing - feeling coming back and now being able to feel damaged tissue.
b. Overdoing it.
c. complications
2. If the pain doesn't begin to subside in a day or so, it may be from complications and warrants a call to the doc.

Are we having fun yet? :) .... just checkin'

I especially want to warn people about driving before you are cleared by your physician. Because of your chest issues, if you are in any accident, in many states you can be declared at automatic fault, and you may not be legally covered by your car insurance company. Is it worth giving up the house and the kids' college funds?

If you've had a full sternum cut, you shouldn't drive for four weeks. Your sternum isn't fully healed yet (this means everyone - no one is special in this way). You can't put enough force on the wheel in an emergency, and you can't spin around in your seat fast or far enough to see a car coming from the side or back. You are not physically competent to drive, though you may think you feel good. Were someone to get hurt, you wouldn't want to wonder if you really had 100% capability when you needed it.

(Note: This isn't directed at you, Darrin. Your post just reminded me it's time to post this warning again.)

Best wishes,

I especially want to warn people about driving before you are cleared by your physician. Because of your chest issues, if you are in any accident, in many states you can be declared at automatic fault, and you may not be legally covered by your car insurance company. Is it worth giving up the house and the kids' college funds?

If you've had a full sternum cut, you shouldn't drive for four weeks. Your sternum isn't fully healed yet (this means everyone - no one is special in this way). You can't put enough force on the wheel in an emergency, and you can't spin around in your seat fast or far enough to see a car coming from the side or back. You are not physically competent to drive, though you may think you feel good. Were someone to get hurt, you wouldn't want to wonder if you really had 100% capability when you needed it.

(Note: This isn't directed at you, Darrin. Your post just reminded me it's time to post this warning again.)

Best wishes,

Agreed....btw, my procedure was minimially invasive and was cleared to drive after week 2 post op - even checked w/my insurance company before getting behind the wheel...just need to avoid the manual transmission for a little while longer...

Latest posts

Back