PAC / A-fib Question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyinva

Went in last week for my 18 month follow-up with my cardio. I mentioned to him that I have been having palpations and irregular heart beats. Prior to surgery I was in A-Fib so I also had the maze procedure. So, they did an EKG and captured premature atrial contractions. While I know that these by themselves are for the most part harmless, my doc told me that they could lead be an indication that I am going back into A-Fib. So, he doubled by beta-blocker and scheduled me for an echo on Friday.

My question is, how many out there experienced PAC's before going back into A-fib? I chose the tissue valve mainly because I didn't want to take blood thinners and now he tells me that if I do go back into A-fib and it can't be controlled I may have to take them anyway. BUMMER :mad2:

I cant answer your question but I can say all things are possible and I think you believe in Jesus so this puts you in a favorable position for favor in life. You may have do deal with afib for awhile but never lose hope that tomorrow or next week or next month or next year it may lift as fast as it came. Just wanted to try and encourage you. This to will pass.

hiya, a lot on here have pvc or pacs, i myself have had them on and off for the last year, there suck,i am on beta blockers to stop it going into af, usually medication can help, hopefully the beta blockers will kick in for you, keep us informed

I had a maze as well and had pac's like crazy for 3 years post op. I consulted many EP's and none of them ever felt that the pac's were an indication that I was going to go into afib. I had so many of them though that I had two ablations trying to track them down and finally gave in and went on Flecainide to stop them. So, for 4 years of 25,000-30,000 pac's per day, no afib at all. I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I think I was just a little frustrated when he mentioned the possibility of blood thinners. I'm keeping the faith that it won't come to that.

Well, when I was having PAC's and PVC's for about a yr,starting about a yr after my 3rd surgery, my doctor said she would put me on coumadin if I wasn't already on it, just for that type of irregular heart beat.
Do they just have you taking aspirin?
Anyway, before I went into A-fib just a couple of months ago, I actually had gone into normal rhythm for a few months, no irregular beats at all. I think I am at risk of A-fib because of LAE, as my mitral was leaking severely for many years. But, it's gone now, due to cardioversion.

I've had to go on and off beta-blockers a few times since the valve surgery, for excessive PVCs, etc. Just a week or two on them fixes my problem.

But ask your doctor about your minerals. My cardio checked that for me once and my minerals where out of whack. I seem to have a little tendency toward that now. Some heart meds, even bp meds, can throw your minerals out of whack too. Pardon my technical terminology, 'out of whack.' :rolleyes2:

PACs - not necessarily leading to A-fib. I had my aortic valve replaced in Sep '08 with a tissue valve and also had a Maze due to A-fib experienced in the year just prior to my surgery. I've had many episodes of PACs since. Often, I'll have a day or two when I'll get them on and off throughout the day. Not sure what brings them on. Stress, not enough sleep, dehydration, some dietary imbalance....who the hell knows. But, I have not had any episodes of A-fib. Nor have either of the two different cardiologists I've seen (plus an electrophysiologist) been concerned about A-fib. They've all told me to keep working out as hard as I want to and to monitor my heart with the standard yearly echos. Obviously, that's my personal prognosis, but, for what it's worth, lot's of PACs are not necessarily a cause for concern....even if they are a pain in the ass. Hopefully, yours are every bit as benign.

Latest posts

Back