One Year "Valversary" March 7

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hetmarie

March 7 will be my one year anniversary. One year ago, I was nervously pacing the house waiting for my aortic valve replacement and ascending aorta graft. My friend flew up to Wisconsin from Arizona to be by my side. I was making sure to tell all my family and dearest friends how much they meant to me just in case I didn't make it out alive. Today, as I shoveled snow, I thought about how much has changed in the past year. Yes, I have a diagnosis of the "deadly cousin" to Marfan's. But so far I've beaten the average lifespan of 27 by a decade! I have a noisy friend in my chest (click, click, click) and a dacron graft going all the way up to the arch (so the surgeon didn't have to repeat the surgery in a few years). I had a turmultous recovery from OHS, including six weeks on a wound vacuum to close my incision. Then when it felt like life may go back to normal, I was down-sized out of my job that I loved on my first full day back to work. So after spending a good chunk of 2011 on disability, I got to spend the second half of it on unemployment. Then in October, I had the pleasure of having my gallbladder removed. (WAY more painfaul than OHS!) After a 2 night stay in the hospital and 2 week recovery at home, I finally found employment. (Not my dream job but it's a paycheck.) I was glad to bring 2011 to a close after all the ups and downs!

This year as I reflect on everything that has changed in my life, I am thankful that I have my health and am able to shovel snow (as long as it's not too heavy). I am thankful to have my loved ones by my side through everything and will be celebrating my valversary with some of them. I struggled over the year about whether I wanted to just ignore it and pretend everything is "normal" or celebrate life. I will be celebrating life with great friends and a good bottle of wine!

Good for you! May you celebrate many more anniversaries, with many more good glasses of wine and many friends. You had a wow of a year - may 2012 be less traumatic and more even.

All the best.

Phil.

Thank you Phil! 2012 hasn't started out the greatest. My Grampa had quadruple bypass a week ago yesterday. His surgery went well though and he was so glad to have me by his side and help him know that everything he was feeling was normal. He figured if I could go through all I went through, a little bypass surgery is nothing. ;-)

Congratulations on #1. You've made it through a tough year with grace. Here's to many more years of good health.

Latest posts

Back