One year anniversary

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGymGuy

My 1 year anniversary was last week and while I remembered it due to a calendar reminder, I sort of did not even do anything about it.

Today, I decided to post up and say hi. I am here once every two or three weeks checking up on anything that I might be able to help with.

I am happy to report that everything is working well, I am exercising alot, setting PRs (personal records) here and there. At this moment I am stronger than I was before surgery in almost every aspect, of course it did take me last 8 months to get here, however, even if I did not have this surgery I would probably be at the similar strength level now.

Before surgery I had some concerns about what it would be like after, and for those that are going to go through it, there is not much to worry about.

VALVE NOISE:
I have a mechanical valve. I can hear soft ticking very occasionally, but it is alot quitter than first 3-6 months after the surgery. At times I need to concentrate really hard if I want to hear it. I used to use it to count my heart-rate during or post exercise and now I need to use a pulse-oximeter or a chest strap ;)

COUMADIN, GREENS and DIET:
Coumadin has not been an issue. I have been on 10mg/day for many many months now. At times I do not watch my diet but always self-test to see if my numbers match my expectations. I generally test once per week, and my range is around 2.1-2.4. I actually used to test almost twice a week when I was experimenting with greens and what they do to me. At this point if I have too much K during the day, I skip my nightly multi-vitamin.

SCARS:
The scar has healed nicely enough. Chest hair covers it up, and from 10 feet away you cannot even tell that it's there. At 6 feet you can see them, but they are not too bad.

Not sure if there is anything else. But, overall, things are pretty good.

Happy Anniversary Vadim! You've had quite the impressive recovery. I'm glad to see that you haven't had any issues post-op. I hope that your recovery continues to go as planned. For me, some days it seems like a lifetime ago that I had the surgery. Other days it seems like yesterday. I feel like we went through this together almost with our surgeries so close together. I look forward to reading your updates and to celebrating our future anniversaries together. Take care my friend.

Tom

Happy Anniversary, my friend! You've earned a big celebration, so go ahead and indulge.

May you have a great many more anniversaries. You set a great example for so many of us.

Happy Valversary, Vadim. Good to see that your recovery has gone so well. You are an inspiration for many, I am sure.

How a year can fly by when one is having fun! :wink2:
Happy 1st valversary to you! You have indeed been an inspiration to many of us! Wishing you continued good health and many more Personal Bests! :thumbup:
Glad that you are still dropping in from time to time...your story is good for all of us to be reminded of!

Hey Bracken, I was training when I was still in the hospital by walking around as much as my body allowed me. 3 weeks after I was doing body-weight squats in between speed walking bouts outdoors.
4 weeks after surgery I rigged up some exercises with cables, and shortly after week 5 I was back at the gym. See this post for some details and dates as well as weights lifted: http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?40352-More-gym-goodness-8-week-update

Last edited:
Congratulations!

You are inspirational to many of us

Keep checking in

All the best from the UK

Hello Thegymguy

You are one of my biggest inspiration. Me first love being the gym and the weights. My counts would be nowhere close to you but yeah i used to workout for almost 3 hours a day until my doc asked me not to. I have a leaky valve and i cannot workout. But i am not able to live the constraints esp the gym n so instead of waiting for like a year i am planning to do it now so i can get back to routine life. please give me some valuable tips :p P.S i am only 23YO. :confused:

Back