Once again, facing the mountain

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turkey Hunter

Some of you "older" folks may remember me....But I haven't been here in quite some time.
I was one of the original members of VR.com.........
It seems after 15 years of post Ross Procedure success, I am facing the mountain again. Both valves are in relatively good shape, but an aneurysm that was discovered in my ascending aorta 11 years ago and has stayed stable. Well stable until this last check-up. It has progressed to a point where both cardio and surgeon want to intervene. I still have my original cardio, Dr Grimm of Cleveland Clinic and amazingly my surgeon has not retired, Dr Pettersen.
So in early December I will make the journey once again. They actually wanted to do it in early November, but I pushed it back so I can have my "house" in order. You know things need done!!!
Prayers, thoughts, and any input from those multiple surgery folks is very much appreciated.
Take care all.
Ben

I was wondering what the previous aneurysm repair was, a wrap maybe? Also, what is the pre-op plan regarding the tissue valve that you say is relatively ok, will they replace that for a newer valve or leave it be.

Its interesting to get info from those with the ross procedure done as it doesn't seem to get done very often. with myself it wasn't even mentioned as a possible option I might want to consider. Just wondering what your thoughts are on the choice now 15 years later.

will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, Ben. Sounds like it's fortunate you still have your original cardio and surgeon at the Cleveland Clinic. Sometimes I wonder if I outlive my root/valve device if my great surgeon will still be active. Anyway, all best as you go forward, Ben.

Hey Ben

glad to hear the valves are working, sorry to hear about the aneurysm.

I'm one of the newcomers to the site but sadly not a newcomer to surgery. I've had 3 over the years (unenviable in some ways, but good that I've lived to have them) and I have recovered from all. My last surgery was to repair an aneurysm and they whipped out my homograft (which was on its last legs too) and put in a mechanical.

No matter what, I'm sure you'll be fine..

:)

Best Wishes

Hi again, Ben,

You were one of the members I looked up to when I first joined here. I have since climbed the mountain, though I waited almost 10 years to do it. You've had good care in the past, and with the same team again available, I believe you will do fine yet again. You know the drill this time, only a lot of things are going to be different - probably better for you. Our thoughts and prayers are with you, and we will be here for you, friend.

As far as what my plan is with the current valves....we have discussed the reverse ross and installing an OnX mechanical in the aortic position.
I don't want to hear in five years that the valves are needing attention....trying to limit the chances of another surgery

Ben,

Sorry to hear that you need another surgery. Hopefully, if you go with a mechanical valve, you'll not require another surgery in the future. I too am awaiting my next surgery with Dr. Pettersen, currently scheduled for Nov. 11th. I had my first surgery this past April to repair the BAV, however, the repair was not successful. I'm 42 years old, so I decided a mechanical valve was the right decision for me. Good luck with everything, I wish you the best!

Latest posts

Back