Off the Amio/fingers crossed

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffM

Since this coming Friday will be 12 weeks since my AVR and MAZE, and I haven't been having any arrhythmia, I asked my cardio if I could stop the Amiodarone. Yes! In 4 weeks, I do a 24 hour Holter monitor and if no problems are detected on that or in the interim, she'll take me off anitcoag. therapy too.

Good luck coming off amio..you may want to have some blood work done,,cholesterol,thyroid,ect. That drug is tough on the body,for sure.

Jeff, good for you!
Is Amio one of those meds that you need to taper off slowly?
You may find a big change in your INR too, it would be wise to check it more often.
Good Luck.

Off Amiadaron

Off Amiadaron

I had BAVR on November 13, with some slicing of the muscles to reduce blockage as well. I had no prior history of arrythmia (sp?)

I was put on Amiodarone for 10 days post surgery. My recovery was going really well but I seemed to backslide right when I quit taking the amio - faint headed, increased fatigue, shorter walks....wonder if they are connected.

Jeff, good for you!
Is Amio one of those meds that you need to taper off slowly?
You may find a big change in your INR too, it would be wise to check it more often.
Good Luck.

I was on amiodarone for a month and the electrophysiologist had me quit it cold turkey. To be honest, I didn't notice any outward signs. The residual effects last so long that apparently it doesn't make a whole lot of difference if you taper off or quit abruptly. My doc did insist on blood work - of particular interest to him was thyroid since that's a common side effect. And yes, you'll need to monitor your INR closely until you get off that too as you'll need more warfarin as the amiodarone leaves you body.

Good luck - hope you have no incidents!

I was on amiodarone for a month and the electrophysiologist had me quit it cold turkey. To be honest, I didn't notice any outward signs. The residual effects last so long that apparently it doesn't make a whole lot of difference if you taper off or quit abruptly. My doc did insist on blood work - of particular interest to him was thyroid since that's a common side effect. And yes, you'll need to monitor your INR closely until you get off that too as you'll need more warfarin as the amiodarone leaves you body.

Good luck - hope you have no incidents!

That's consistent with the advice I was given, although no one mentioned blood work. My next INR check is supposed to be in 10 days. Next cardio appt is mid Feb. I'll mention the blood work at that time assumming no issues in the interim.

Latest posts

Back