Oct Road Trip ... Tx-ok-ks/mo-ia-wi

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gnusgal said:
Well, IF he isn't working, we probably could make it by six. But don't change things around on his account. We don't even know if he will be off that day... It's possible that I can have him meet me at my work and we can go from there (our house is 30 minutes in the opposite direction from Mesquite).

Gotcha. And, thanks. As it is looking now, I'm going to have to keep the time at 5pm ... sure hope that is OK with everyone. I need to keep it at 5pm so I can be on the road to Terrell no later than 8p....

On the bright side, I WILL be in Dallas ALL DAY LONG on Thursday, so if anyone cannot come, I can maybe meet up with people during the day.

And, Chris, thanks for the info ... settled, we'll eat at the Golden Coral. Hope that is OK with everyone, too.

I'll be posting an update sometime tomorrow.....

knightfan2691 said:
On the bright side, I WILL be in Dallas ALL DAY LONG on Thursday.....

ooh, does that mean I may have someone to drag with me to see SouthFork Ranch?? :) never took the tour while living there all 12 years, (was in the parking lot for a flea market, but never inside) one of my "to do" things this time around, except I keep getting laughed at by my friends when finding someone to go with. but I know, your schedules' probably tighter then mine.. but some food for thought on the tour, it's only about 30-60 minutes long, about 15 minutes from Richardson right off of 75.. ok, not right off of 75, but I know how to get there.. i'm starting to get bummed though, 2 of my "to do's" are closed, Baby Doe's and Fort Worth Water Park (architechtually made waterfalls).. Baby Doe's closed for good, only ate their once, but loved the atmosphere, and the Waterfall Park is closed for renovatons.. bummer :(

Chris

Christine said:
ooh, does that mean I may have someone to drag with me to see SouthFork Ranch??

*raises eyebrow*

Hmmm....perhaps. Depends on how late I get in on WED night, how early I get up THU morning ... and who all I will be seeing Thursday.... BUT ... I know I missed going to South Fork when I was in TX in 2004 ... so, well, ya never know.....

In the meantime, some gatherings are forming ... and a few routes, times & places have been added to my revised itinerary..... If you're interested in meeting up, let me know so we can exchange ph#s.... If you have mine, don't hesitate to call me!

TUE, OCT 10 (night) [or] WED, OCT 11 (morning) / IL-TX
...leave Elgin. If leave TUE night, will stop somewhere in IL overnight & continue WED. If leave early WED morning, will stop along the way....
* Route = IL RT 47 S ... SR 24 E ... I-57 S
* ALT Route = IL RT 64 W ... I-39 S ... I-55 S ... I-255 S ... I-55 S
* MEET'n'GREET along I-57, near Mt Vernon IL or Marion IL (place & time TBD)
* ALT MEET'n'GREET along I-55 in Missouri, aprox 60+ miles S of St Louis

WED, OCT 11 / AR-TX
...continue travel (if leave Elgin TUE night)
* Route = I-55 S ... I-40 W ... I-30 W
* MEET'n'GREET in/near Little Rock AR (place & time TBD), possible at Arkansas Arts Center, 501 E 9th St (downtown) or at Riverfront Dr...
...arrive in Dallas TX sometime late WED night, to be confirmed place staying

THU, OCT 12 / TX
...stay in Dallas
* MEET'n'GREET for dinner, 5p, Golden Coral, 1902 Towne Center Dr, Mesquite TX 75150:
www.goldencoral.net
http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result?newa...00&tcountry=us
...leave for Terrell 7:30p to 8p
* 8:30pmish in Terrell TX to visit friends
...stay in Dallas, to be confirmed place staying

FRI, OCT 13 / TX-OK
* MEET'n'GREET for breakfast, sometime between 8a & 9a, Ginger Brown's Old Tyme Restaurant & Bakery:
http://www.yellowbook.com/?A=1&T=11&PH=8172372114
...leave Dallas.
* Route = I-35W N ... SR 287 N
* MEET'n'GREET for lunch, Wichita Falls TX, sometime between 12p & 1p
...leave for Oklahoma City by 2:30p
* Route = I-44 N
* MEET'n'GREET for dinner, 5-7pmish, place TBD
...stay in Oklahoma City, with friends

SAT, OCT 14 / OK-KS
...leave early to mid-afternoon, bound for Wichita KS
* Route = I-35 N
* MEET'n'GREET for dinner in/near Wichita KS, 5-7pmish, place TBD
...stay in Wichita, with friends

SUN, OCT 15 / KS-MO-IA
...leave early to mid-morning, bound for IA
* Route = I-35 N to Kansas City
* MEET'n'GREET in the KC KS/MO area, noonish, place TBD.
* POSSIBLE visit to Old School Paradise, 15502 E24 HW, Independence MO
...leave KC area by 2:30p, bound for Des Moines
* Route = I-35 N
* MEET'n'GREET for dinner in/near Des Moines IA, 6pmish, place TBD
...leave for Waterloo IA by 7:30p
* Route = I-35 N ... SR 20 W
...stay with friends in Waterloo IA

MON, OCT 16 to TUE, OCT 17 / IA-WI-IL
...leave early to mid-morning MON, bound for either S WI or IL (home), arriving home no later than lunch time TUE.
* Route (to WI) = TBD
* Route (to home) = SR 20 E
* MEET'n'GREETs TBD
* TBD where staying (if go to WI)

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
"You might miss what you left behind" ... Dierks Bentley ... 'Slow Down'

well leave it to me, I pick a place to meet and i'm not going to be there.. sorry, but due to my school schedule (3 classes, one on campus public speaking course and 2 online - all 3 require loads of reading and writing, what was I thinking) I won't be able to make it in October... never fear though, I will be in wonderful Dallas for the Christmas Holiday.. actually flying in the day after Christmas and staying thru New Years.. which is another reason I postponed it.. i'm staying with my friend in The Colony and wanted to bring in the new year with him.. I also plan on being there for several days in April to celebrate my graduation and my 40th bday (which occur 2 days apart). so anyone wanting to do lunch or something - i'll be there then as well.

Sorry Cort, maybe we'll finally meet if you come out east.

Also, with my hectic school and work schedule (end of year fast approaching - busy time for collectors) I most likely will be posting in spurts.. I'm going to try not to go more then a week between logging on, but please know, I may not be around much for awhile, but you're all in my thoughts and prayers...

Chris

Christine said:
Sorry Cort, maybe we'll finally meet if you come out east.

*nods*

No worries....sounds like a plan ... we'll see what happens in 2007.

For those that ARE going to be there, a "newly opened" issue is a place to eat. A couple of my other TX friends said that they thought they might be able to come up with some other options to meet for dinner ... so, we'll see ... and go from there ;).

Dang, Cort!

Dang, Cort!

I'm glad to see this thing was revived as I had not seen it. Yep, we can do East Dallas, but probably won't make it until closer to 6. Trip and I don't get out of school until 4. Even if we leave soon after four, it will take a good hour and a half to get from Arlington to the east side of Dallas at that time of day. Ahhhh.............the price we will gladly pay just to see the infamous Knightfan again. From one of the original Knight Fanclub members. :D Hugs. J. You really do need to plan on coming in some weekend, though. ;)

gijanet said:
From one of the original Knight Fanclub members.

*grins*

I have a fanclub? No way! ;)

gijanet said:
You really do need to plan on coming in some weekend, though.

Yeah, I know. I can't please everyone, tho, ya know. So, I schedule what I can ... and go from there. Believe October 2004 WAS Saturday night when we all got together ;).

And, Janet ... so glad ya'll will be able to join us!!!

Christine said:
That and the Stockyards are a couple of things i'm trying to plan while there along with Deep Ellum in Dallas or Lower Greenville.. I'm leaning towards Deep Ellum, though. Gotta love the energy of that area.. the live blues, jazz, and rock music. What can be better?! :)

Chris

Deep Ellum is dying. Uptown (along McKinney or Lemmon) are thriving. Upscale, clean, safe, trendy. That's uptown.

Baby Doe's - $$ - The simply couldn't pull in the $. They lost their mojo baby...

Arg! I just realized I made an awful mistake! I signed up through work for a series of workshops to get my prof. dev. hours for this year. I didn't realize at the time that one of the days of the workshop is the day we will be getting together with Cort. I've already attended one session and I won't get credit if I don't attend all 4 sessions. The workshop is from 4-7, though this last time they let us out about 6:45. Depending on where y'all end up meeting and what time, I might be able to attend the tail end of the get together. I certainly hope I don't miss out altogether!

I'm SO sorry, Cort!

I cruised around Town East Mall yesterday, looking for possible eating places. (Had not checked the posts about Golden Corral.)

There is a Steak & Ale on the west side of LBJ (Interstate 635), across the freeway and a little north of Town East Mall. You can get anything from chicken to seafood, + steaks and I think burgers there. Good vitamin K bar there.
Steak & Ale takes reservations, gives separate checks.

Anyone game?

I get off work @ 4 p.m., can be on the east side of Dallas by, say, 5:15, barring any traffic tie-ups.

Cort:
Have you been to Ginger Brown's before? That's where my husband eats breakfast every morning! Same location, too. He works at Tarrant County College Northwest Campus, not far from Ginger Brown's. I've heard all about the cinnamon rolls there.

catwoman said:
Cort:
Have you been to Ginger Brown's before? That's where my husband eats breakfast every morning! Same location, too. He works at Tarrant County College Northwest Campus, not far from Ginger Brown's. I've heard all about the cinnamon rolls there.

Hmmm....well, your hubby can join us if he wants :). And, no, I haven't been there before.......

As for Steak and Ale, that sounds like an option ... we'll see....

I noted in the thread I started today that this trip MAY be postponed ... we'll see. Niki, if it is NOT, join us when you can!!!!

Not sure how this will work out yet, but I WILL be roadtripping west. The itinerary will be finalized sometime this upcoming week. I am looking at a possible extension to visit Utah and Colorado as well ? we?ll see ;).

Cort:33swm."Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
"I need to get away from this place" ... Smashmouth ... 'All Star'

So, Cort................

So, Cort................

are we still on and what was the final rendezvous point? If the latest plan still holds, you are bugging out in the AM, yes? Hugs. J.

Yes, the plans are still on as of now (see updated info below). Yes, I'll be heading out Friday morning ... but do plan to stop for breakfast before leaving town (in case you want to meet then, as well)....

Update:
As of now, this will take place on the dates originally scheduled, perhaps with a Dodge Charger. If that changes [switches to road trip dates of Saturday, October 14 ? Monday, October 23], I?ll post?. In the meantime, a quick recap of the trip events (sorry, no extensions to Colorado or Utah at this time, unless the timeframe of the trip gets changed)?. If you have my cell ph#, be sure to call me ? I?ll try to remember to call everyone, but I can?t guarantee ;). I plan to get specific directions to MEET?n?GREET places and peoples? homes along the way?.

TUE, OCT 10 ? central IL
?leave Elgin after dinner.
* Route = IL RT 47 S
?stay near Champaign IL, with friends.

WED, OCT 11 ? IL-AR-TX
?leave near Champaign IL early morning
* Route = I-57 S ? I-55 S ? I-40 W ? I-30 W
* MEET'n'GREET for lunch along I-57, near Mt Vernon IL or Marion IL (place & time TBD)
* ALT Route = I-57 S ? I-70 W ? I-55 S
* ALT MEET'n'GREET for lunch along I-55 in Missouri, approx 60+ miles S of St Louis
* Route = I-55 S ? I-40 W ? I-30 W
* MEET'n'GREET for dinner in/near Little Rock AR (place & time TBD), possible at Arkansas Arts Center, 501 E 9th St (downtown) or at Riverfront Dr...
?either stay in the Little Rock AR area overnight, or continue to Dallas TX (arriving around midnight or later)

THU, OCT 12 ? TX
...stay in TX (or continue to TX, if stay in AR overnight, arriving around late lunchtime)
* Route = I-55 S ... I-40 W ... I-30 W
* MEET'n'GREET for dinner (place & Time TBD)
...leave for Terrell 7:30p to 8p
* 8:30pmish in Terrell TX to visit friends
...stay in Dallas, with a friend

FRI, OCT 13 / TX-OK
* MEET'n'GREET for breakfast, sometime between 8a & 9a, Ginger Brown's Old Tyme Restaurant & Bakery:
http://www.yellowbook.com/?A=1&T=11&PH=8172372114
...leave Dallas.
* Route = I-35W N ... SR 287 N
* MEET'n'GREET for lunch, Wichita Falls TX, sometime between 12p & 1p
...leave for Oklahoma City by 2:30p
* Route = I-44 N
* MEET'n'GREET for dinner, 5-7pmish, place TBD
...stay in Oklahoma City, with friends

SAT, OCT 14 / OK-KS
...leave early to mid-afternoon, bound for Wichita KS
* Route = I-35 N
* MEET'n'GREET for dinner in/near Wichita KS, 5-7pmish, place TBD
...stay in Wichita, with friends

SUN, OCT 15 / KS-MO-IA
...leave early to mid-morning, bound for IA
* Route = I-35 N to Kansas City
* MEET'n'GREET in the KC KS/MO area, noonish, place TBD.
* POSSIBLE visit to Old School Paradise, 15502 E24 HW, Independence MO
...leave KC area by 2:30p, bound for Des Moines
* Route = I-35 N
* MEET'n'GREET for dinner in/near Des Moines IA, 6pmish, place TBD
...leave for Waterloo IA by 7:30p
* Route = I-35 N ... SR 20 W
...stay with friends in Waterloo IA

MON, OCT 16 to TUE, OCT 17 / IA-WI-IL
...leave early to mid-morning MON, bound for either S WI or IL (home), arriving home no later than lunch time TUE.
* Route (to WI) = TBD
* Route (to home) = SR 20 E
* MEET'n'GREETs TBD
* TBD where staying (if go to WI)

Cort:33swm."Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
"It's time to take a leap of faith" ... Steven Curtis Chapman ... 'Dive'

Well, breakfast sounds good to me..............

Well, breakfast sounds good to me..............

but it might not my principal. Looks like just Thursday PM for us. Just let us know the place. Drive safe and buckle up. :D Hugs. J.

Oh wow!

Oh wow!

I have not been keeping up and did not realize your visit was upon us. As it so happens- Thursday is my husbands birthday. I am not sure how he wants to spend the evening, but I will let him know it is an option. I have my doubts. Friday morning breakfast is probably out for sure. Adam will be in school. If we do not get to meet you- please know we are hoping your trip will be enjoyable and safe.

My workshop on Thursday lasts until 7pm, so I'm betting I won't make it in time. :( I was SO hoping to meet up again.

Cort,
I guess I'm on the alternate route, huh?
Let me know if you're coming my way; I'm five minutes off the I-55 interchanges (3) and four hours NE of Little Rock.
Do you still have my home # and cell?
Mary

Quick reply....

Janet,

Place is to be determined.... Plenty of time to figure it out and get in touch via cell phones ;).

adamsmom said:
If we do not get to meet you- please know we are hoping your trip will be enjoyable and safe.

*nods*

Much appreciated :). We'll see what we can figure out. Remember, I'll be in Dallas by the afternoon hours at the latest ... so, ya never know....

And that goes for you, too, Niki. Yeah, I know you work ... we'll see what we can work out, tho....

And, Mary, yes, the alternative, but it is looking like that might be the way to go. Give me a call (my # is imbended in the posting above if you don't have it) and let me know if you'd be up for lunch tomorrow.

*sighs*

Course, with my luck, I may have to postpone this a few days :(.

Latest posts

Back