Oct Road Trip ... Tx-ok-ks/mo-ia-wi

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deep sigh......I liked the Richardson location. :rolleyes: Terrell's a bit far for me but perhaps doable. I shall not complain - some of you are coming from much farther than I am. Still, consider Mesquite - it's "towards Terrell" from Dallas at I-30 and LBJ (I-635).

The High Five is operational and almost done except for some fly-overs. Traffic has flowed well when I've gone through there.

As a lark, we could meet in the snack bar at Medical City Dallas or Presby Dallas - invite the surgeons!:D

I don't want to go all the way out to Terrell, either. But East Dallas is okay. Just my 2 cents.

*rolls eyes*

No, I don't (nor did I) expect ya'll to drive out to Terrell for dinner ... I was just hoping we'd meet on the east end of Dallas ... so it's not as far as a drive for me to get to where I need to go that evening ... so I have more time with ya'll and them ;).

SSSssooo....how about in the Mesquite area ... along either I-635 or I-20...?

And, Niki, sure hope your husband is able to join us!

*pauses*

We haven't heard from Janet, yet, btw. Dangumit ... sure hope this will be doable for her and her family..... AND...I KNOW we have some other Dallas/FTW area members, too....hmmmm.......

And, what about members in the other areas of the country where I'll be? Hmmm...?

;)

knightfan2691 said:
We haven't heard from Janet, yet, btw. Dangumit ... sure hope this will be doable for her and her family.....
Isn't she on her cruize? You know she wouldn't miss it if she can help it in any way. :D

i would love to join you guys to put a face to the text but the lady and i will be out of town on that date. we are going to cali on october 12-16 to take engagement pictures and to visit some of her family.

cort..just a thought. everything is dallas/ft. worth is at least 20 to 30 minutes away from each other. i know you are coming from terrell but i would also consider where you are staying over night. if you are taking 75 or 35 the next morning to get up to oklahoma then 635/75 would be good for you. mesquite would not be a problem for people...i don' think...but coming from mesquite to get to 75 or 35 in the morning will not be fun due to rush hour traffic on 635.

I am not sure when Janet is returning. She left Sunday a week ago, so 10 days, or a 2 week cruise perhaps? I am sure we will be hearing before long. It will be interesting to see where you all decide to meet. I will just watch and when decided- see if it works for me. The further the drive, the more difficult it will be to talk my other into. I thought Medical City was an interesting suggestion until I realized beer would not be served there. If you guys are anything like my husband- that can be a big deal! Anyway- looking forward to it. My intentions are to try my best to get us there!

Cort -

Cort -

Have a wonderful time on your road trip. It sounds exciting and the time of year is so beautiful to see the Midwest (anywhere really).

However, you are really missing out by not coming to Colorado! :)

Christina L

Cort,
I really think that if Little Rock is a destination, you'd be better off going south towards Normal/Bloomington on I-55, then continue on to Springfield, and cross into Missouri on 55/255. We are no more than 80 miles south of St. Louis on Interstate 55. You'd keep heading south on 55 until you're west of Memphis, and then take 40 into Little Rock. I can tell you from a trip last year that Little Rock is four hours from our house.
I think the distance would be less and you'd make better time if you followed my route, but of course, I realize it is your route to plan!* ;) ;) Look at a map, and see what you think.

*But I am right!:D :D

Gnusgal said:
Isn't she on her cruize? You know she wouldn't miss it if she can help it in any way. :D

*slaps forehead*

D'oh ... yeah, they are on the cruise ... completely forgot about that. My goodness. I think my job is gettin' to me a bit too much :(.

mmarshall said:
cort..just a thought. everything is dallas/ft. worth is at least 20 to 30 minutes away from each other. i know you are coming from terrell but i would also consider where you are staying over night. if you are taking 75 or 35 the next morning to get up to oklahoma then 635/75 would be good for you. mesquite would not be a problem for people...i don' think...but coming from mesquite to get to 75 or 35 in the morning will not be fun due to rush hour traffic on 635.

Well, actually, right now, not sure exactly where I'm staying. I know I'm heading out to Terrell after our dinner (very sorry you are not able to come ... but I certainly understand ... he he he!) ... for a BBQ ... heh. After that, not sure. I know I'll get to the Dallas area late Wednesday night ... and thus, will be staying there 2 nights. The friend I stayed with 2 years ago most-likely will not be in town ... so, not sure yet...he he he. Certainly apprecaite the notes about the traffic. But, as I'm betting the group that met up with me in 2004 remembers, I came to Dallas on Friday afternoon ... right in the middle of rush hour traffic. What a nightmare that was.... Also in the mix is that I'll be heading to the west side of Dallas (maybe even to the Ft Worth area) for breakfast Friday morning before I leave town. Another friend who has plans Thursday night suggested we meet up for breakfast before I leave town. So, we'll see how that goes.

adamsmom said:
It will be interesting to see where you all decide to meet. I will just watch and when decided- see if it works for me. The further the drive, the more difficult it will be to talk my other into.

Understood ... and, no worries. Tho, I must admit it is the people I don't get to meet up with that frustrates me the most. I try to "appeal" to many different people from various forums/groups ... and, well, schedules don't always work for everyone. I know I missed seeing a LOT of people during my eastern road trip last August ... and that frustrated me to no end. And, I already know I'll miss some people these 2 upcoming trips ... because of timing. Ah, well ... such is life.

Christina L said:
Have a wonderful time on your road trip. It sounds exciting and the time of year is so beautiful to see the Midwest (anywhere really).

Oh, I will have a wonderful time ... thank you :).

Christina L said:
However, you are really missing out by not coming to Colorado!

*nods*

Yeah, I know. I wish I had more vacation time to extend to Colorado AND to California ... as I'm gettin' flack from friends AND family in California for not making it out that far :(. Aye. After the type of day I had today, tho, perhaps I should just quit my job anyway ... he heh.

Mary said:
I really think that if Little Rock is a destination, you'd be better off going south towards Normal/Bloomington on I-55, then continue on to Springfield, and cross into Missouri on 55/255. We are no more than 80 miles south of St. Louis on Interstate 55. You'd keep heading south on 55 until you're west of Memphis, and then take 40 into Little Rock. I can tell you from a trip last year that Little Rock is four hours from our house.
I think the distance would be less and you'd make better time if you followed my route, but of course, I realize it is your route to plan!* Look at a map, and see what you think.

I know what you mean, Mary ... but, that means going through St Louis traffic ... which does not appeal to me at all ;). But, I'll keep this in mind. I suppose it depends on whether I get left Tuesday night or Wednesday morning ... and what time we meet up. I know that if I leave Tuesday night, I have to find a place to stay ... whereas, if I leave early Wednesday morning, it's a longer drive all the way to Dallas. Course, if I go I-55, I'll be missing some people in Marion IL.... Aye.

*shrugs*

Guess we'll see ;).

*pauses and shakes head*

I didn't think scheduling all of these "gatherings" would be so "nightmarish". Ironically, I'm starting to see some "patterns" of changes ... such that I'll need to post an update sometime this weekend ... he he he. But, well, if it means I get to meet up with a lot of people, it'll be well worth it, I'd say ;).

Cort,
You'd miss most of the St. Louis traffic, because 255 comes in south of the city.
Keep thinking!

Let me know if you find you're going to be able to make the trip, Marsha.
There's a Cheese Cake Factory at the Galleria where we could meet for lunch, or we could try someplace on the Hill.:)

well, sounds like the Dallas meet & greet will be around Mesquite.. there's a couple of places that would accomodate large groups plus still be affordable.. Golden Corral (all you can eat buffet, although Cort if you're having BBQ later, that might be too much food for ya) and Crackel Barrel.. both easily accessible right off of 635.

Can anyone currently living in the DFW area tell me why Baby Doe's closed? I was bummed to say the least.. couldn't afford it everyday, but was looking forward to it at least once every so many years.. Also, i'm planning some weekend activities with some friends of mine.. Does anyone remember what the name of the "waterfall" park in Fort Worth is called? i'm trying to remember, that's a cool place to visit. That and the Stockyards are a couple of things i'm trying to plan while there along with Deep Ellum in Dallas or Lower Greenville.. I'm leaning towards Deep Ellum, though. Gotta love the energy of that area.. the live blues, jazz, and rock music. What can be better?! :)

Chris

Mary said:
Cort,
You'd miss most of the St. Louis traffic, because 255 comes in south of the city. Keep thinking!

LOL! Well, I'll see what I can do ... no promises, tho. Kinda depends on if the meeting in Marion IL gells or not.... Would also be nice to see Sherry again, too ... if she is able ... I know it's a school day tho ... gosh darn it.

*grumbles*

As for the "Dallas dinner" ... would 5pm work for most people? My friends in Terrell were looking at 8p or so....

Anyway, I'm thinking something a bit lighter than Cracker Barrell. Do ya'll have "Old Country Buffet" there? Just curious ... ;).

Sorry Cort, no Old Country Buffet in Mesquite - or surrounding area... but Golden Corral is buffet style as well... not related, but certainly similar... if you want lighter - there's also Souper Salad (hot/cold buffet, main being salad bar) - both are right near Town East Mall (near 635/30 I believe) Both are one price for the buffets. i've eaten at both chains, Golden Corral is my favorite, but Souper Salad is good too. :)

oh, 5pm works for me...

Chris

I can do 5 o'clock, depending on where we go. I don't get off work until 4. I can probably make it to Mesquite by 5. But I won't be able to go pick up my husband... So you may have to do without Nathan this time around.

Christine said:
Golden Corral is buffet style as well... not related, but certainly similar... if you want lighter - there's also Souper Salad (hot/cold buffet, main being salad bar) - both are right near Town East Mall (near 635/30 I believe)

Hmmm...are both easy to get to from the interstate? I remember the place we at ate in October 2004 ... GREAT place, but I know I got lost trying to find it ;). He he he

Also ... do these places have a big seating area? Remember, it may very well be more than just us heart people there ;).

Gnusgal said:
I can do 5 o'clock, depending on where we go. I don't get off work until 4. I can probably make it to Mesquite by 5. But I won't be able to go pick up my husband... So you may have to do without Nathan this time around.

Hmmm....how late would we need to make it so Nathan can join us?

knightfan2691 said:
Hmmm....how late would we need to make it so Nathan can join us?
Well, IF he isn't working, we probably could make it by six. But don't change things around on his account. We don't even know if he will be off that day... It's possible that I can have him meet me at my work and we can go from there (our house is 30 minutes in the opposite direction from Mesquite).

yes Cort, both are easy to get to.. I'm not exactly fond of getting lost myself.. seeing it's been several years ;) :)

Golden Coral's website states it will accomodate large groups, just need to call them.. I mapped them both from my old address since I used to live right off of 635, bordering Mesquite, to give a good idea where they are located with respect to the interchanges.

Golden Coral www.goldencoral.net
1902 Towne Centre Dr, Mesquite TX 75150 972-613-7050

http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result?new...y=us&tcsz=Mesquite,+TX+75150-5400&tcountry=us

Souper Salad www.soupersalad.com
1645 N Town East Blvd, Mesquite TX 75150 972-682-6888

http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result?new...tcsz=Mesquite,+TX+75150&tcountry=us&terr=4004

Personally, Golden Coral seems to fit the bill.. all you can eat or not eat.. affordable, able to accomodate large groups and conviently located..

Chris

Back