O-X valve longevity: How long?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sensei Ade

Hi all,
I have an bi-leaflet On-X aortic valve that was implanted last November. The big question for me is, 'How long will it last?'. Some articles say mechanical valves last a lifetime, others say they last 30years and I've even read somewhere that On-X valves are desifgned to last 200years+!!! What are your views on this? We're in a good space right now given the results of the PROACT studies, so if we can have further reassurance about longevity then that's even better! :smile2:

All the best

Hey Sensei, the On-X valves have been around since 1996. Without out serious complications you should get at least 20 to 30 years from any mechanical valve. I talked to a cardiologist a year ago and he told me that at my age (28) I would probably need two (2) surgeries in my lifetime. How can that be? They test these valves for hundreds of years without fail. His response was, its just not the same once it gets implanted in you.

Even though they have been implanting valves in people for about 50 years now, I don't think there have been any studies on people who have had the same valve for more than 50 years. Just hasn't been around long enough. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Please.

These 20 to 30 years statistics are probably based on information studied from pre 2000 era. In the end I would say its NOT wishful thinking that any mechanical valve would or could last 50 years +

Gee Julian dont tell Dick that his mech valve has been in for 43 years this year

You mean Sir Dick :cool2:That guy is a rockstar. He reminds me of the Dos Equis man in those commercials. Truly an inspiration. I personally think my new valve will last a lifetime. When I get it :eek2:

It is my understanding that the leading reason for explanting (removing/replacing) a mechanical valve is due to Pannus Tissue Growth that invades the area where the valve leaflets travel.

It is also my understanding that the On-X valve is the ONLY valve with a built in barrier to retard / prevent Pannus Tissue Growth from impinging the valve leaflets.

It is also my understanding that ALL mechanical valves are Life Tested at elevated rates of operation and that the leaflets / pivots should last for enough cycles to outlast anyone's life expectancy.

You may want to contact On-X if you have further questions.

See their website at www.onxvalves.com for more information.

or you can call the company at 888-339-8000 (ext 265 for Catheran Burnett, RN).
She is willing to talk to ANYONE who has questions about On-X products.

'AL Capshaw'

In the end I would say its NOT wishful thinking that any mechanical valve would or could last 50 years +

Julian, I hope you are right:biggrin2: 50 years ago, heart valves where implanted ONLY as the last resort and unfortunately, many early valve recipients had their valves only a short time before they died. My docs told me that my valve should last 50 years:wink2:. I nodded and thanked them for the info, but I realistically didn't believe them.....turns out that they may be right. One thing is very sure......this valve has more than doubled the life expectancy I had before the surgery......and, odds are, it will take me all the way:thumbup:.

Hi On-X fans

I've got a beautiful 23mm On-X AV. Implanted on Mar 21/10, at age 55. I am banking that this valve will see me through to a very old productive age.

There's also a very interesting and informative thread or two here started by 'pem', documenting his well-researched comparison of the On-X valve and the ATS (Medtronics) mechanical valves (including some direct communication with two reps from On-X and one from Medtronics), which ultimately led him to choose the ATS (Medtronics) valve. (Pem's surgery is quite soon, if memory serves.)

I'd earlier been attracted to the ATS (Medtronics) mechanical valves because several studies have found them the quietest of the mech valves. Pem ended up comparing the documentation both companies sent to the US FDA to get approval for the valves, and found a striking difference in the well-being (NYHA Class) of the recipients, between the two valves. In favor of the ATS (Medtronics) valves.

OK, I think I found the thread, at http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...On-X-vs-ATS-open-pivot-The-Truth-is-Out-There

Last edited:
Hi,

I have mentioned this several times in prior posts. The mechanical valves are designed to outlive you. That being said. Your body could cause issues, such as pannus, that will cause the heart valve to fail much earlier. My St Judes, which I thought would outlast me, had to be replaced 10 years after it was installed due to my body rejecting it and developing pannus around the valve, thus closing it off.

Not saying that it happens to everyone, as there are many on here that have had their mechanical valves for years and years, but there are other issues that can cause valve failure. I guess that you could even say that the valve itself did not fail in my case, but the body just was stopping it from functioning.

Rob

Hi,

I have mentioned this several times in prior posts. The mechanical valves are designed to outlive you. That being said. Your body could cause issues, such as pannus, that will cause the heart valve to fail much earlier. My St Judes, which I thought would outlast me, had to be replaced 10 years after it was installed due to my body rejecting it and developing pannus around the valve, thus closing it off.

Not saying that it happens to everyone, as there are many on here that have had their mechanical valves for years and years, but there are other issues that can cause valve failure. I guess that you could even say that the valve itself did not fail in my case, but the body just was stopping it from functioning.

Rob

Latest posts

Back