Now I'm Ticked

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ross, you might want to check out Google for "How to deal with difficult people", "How to deal with control freaks", etc. Here's a link to one such site: http://home.comcast.net/~pobrien48/Control_freaks.htm

My stepmother used to do the same thing. Everybody else wanted to watch a particular show, and she wanted to watch some other show. Half an hour into the show she would leave and go to her room. That was just one of her tricks; she was a master manipulator.

The above might help you. There's lots of books and stuff on the Internet on this, but its not easy turning it around. Good luck!

My Dad always used to say - Who paid for this TV - My TV, my choice! (This was back in the days where most people only had one TV, if they had one at all.) Of course - being the brat that I am, when I was married and had my own house and TV - I used the same line on him....then let him watch his show.

Karlynn, that reminds of me growing up ;)

What it really boils down is respect. And I don't mean to discredit Lynn in any way shape or form.

But around here, when the TV is on and someone is in the room appearing to be watching or just listening to it, we simply ask if they are really watching that program before we change the channels.

I do like to have things my way, but I realized that it's not fair to hubby....and he does pay the bills.....so, I have a smaller TV in my office (beside the living room) and that way he can watch his crappy shows and I can watch mine while we still yak during commercials. It's a good thing that several nights we like mostly the same shows.

I saw Led Zeppelin at the Yale Bowl just before The Immigrant Song was released. It was a 2-hour concert, but they stayed only 45 minutes, were completely out of sync, and they had a staged "encore," where they played an obviously recorded version of The Immigrant Song and lip-synched it to promote it.

I love and have a lot of their work, but what I saw in person was tragic. I've always felt since that they were a better studio band. The local warm-up band, Jasper's Wrath, was far better that night.

The very best I ever saw live was Renaissance. I can still feel the thrill of Annie Haslam's voice in the natural hillside outdoor amphitheater at SoConn. I thought it would be average to good, but I was completely blown away. Her voice and their playing was exquisite.

Best wishes,

Lyns car alternator died last night. 2nd one in one year. I went and got, then installed a brand new one, not rebuilt, but 100% new so as not to have to change it again. Now I figure for my hard work taking the old one off and putting on the new, I should get some sort of special priviledge. Well I got us food from McDonalds and let her watch her tv until she feel asleep. I then went channel scanning and VH1 had Led Zeplin live on, so I turned the channel to it and was watching it. Only had 15 minutes to go and she woke up and promptly changed the channel to a James Bond movie that she's seen 3 times already this week. Now here it is, 20 minutes later, Zep is over and she's gone to bed, leaving me watching 007.
irate.gif

Aye, yaya! Such ungrateful creatures we are!! :D:p:)

PBS will sometimes air the Pink Floyd concert "The Wall". Thar just ain't nuthin' better.
Then its a mad dash for the volume control on the remote. Hubby has headphones for extra volume!

We have two rooms with nice TVs and many nights find Chris and I in separate rooms watching what we want. The are times we like the same show but many times we want to watch different things. Yeah - it's a little more lonely but being temporarily by yourself can have its rewards as well.

Perhaps the fact that Lynn just woke up might be the source of her lack of concern with what you were watching.:confused:;):D

We have two rooms with nice TVs and many nights find Chris and I in separate rooms watching what we want. The are times we like the same show but many times we want to watch different things. Yeah - it's a little more lonely but being temporarily by yourself can have its rewards as well.

Perhaps the fact that Lynn just woke up might be the source of her lack of concern with what you were watching.:confused:;):D

No, she pulls this crap all the time. Think I'll rent the playboy channel next time!

I saw Led Zeppelin at the Yale Bowl just before The Immigrant Song was released. It was a 2-hour concert, but they stayed only 45 minutes, were completely out of sync, and they had a staged "encore," where they played an obviously recorded version of The Immigrant Song and lip-synched it to promote it.

I love and have a lot of their work, but what I saw in person was tragic. I've always felt since that they were a better studio band. The local warm-up band, Jasper's Wrath, was far better that night.

The very best I ever saw live was Renaissance. I can still feel the thrill of Annie Haslam's voice in the natural hillside outdoor amphitheater at SoConn. I thought it would be average to good, but I was completely blown away. Her voice and their playing was exquisite.

Best wishes,

Our parents made us live a sheltered life. The only concert we ever did get to was Kansas and Mahogany Rush In Pittsburgh back in 79.

We lived in a suburb with many of the same aged kids. So when concert going became an issue we each told our parents that "so and so's" parents said it was fine....and that we would all stick together.
HA. Little did they know. But I remember my Dad waiting up for me and when I would show up at midnight he would demand to "look at my eyes".
Scary stuff.....!!

Bob (Tobagotwo),

Let's hijack this thread about TV remotes and Zeppelin and talk about progressive bands from the late 70s! A friend turned me on to progressive music and bands like Renaissance and Genesis back then and I still love their music. There is one other female vocalist that brings the same energy and medieval feel that Annie Haslam had and that is Mary Fahl of October Project.
You might like her music. Check her out on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkNDqKiApJw

John

Nah, it won't help to talk about it. It'll immediately turn into a discussion about something Ross did wrong last year or what he left on the countertop two-and-a-half weeks ago, or how he fails to appreciate all that she does.

Even if it winds up that she yields the remote to him at some point, it'll happen in such a way that he'll feel like a heel and won't be able to enjoy it anyway.

This type of discussion is a married-people land mine with bells on. I would just suck it up and steer clear. It'll be on again eventually, and you can make a deal with her to just watch the last fifteen minutes of it.

Best wishes,

Nah, it won't help to talk about it. It'll immediately turn into a discussion about something Ross did wrong last year or what he left on the countertop two-and-a-half weeks ago, or how he fails to appreciate all that she does.

Even if it winds up that she yields the remote to him at some point, it'll happen in such a way that he'll feel like a heel and won't be able to enjoy it anyway.

This type of discussion is a married-people land mine with bells on. I would just suck it up and steer clear. It'll be on again eventually, and you can make a deal with her to just watch the last fifteen minutes of it.

Best wishes,

nod.gif
Exactly. Tobagotwo knows how this game is played.

You two are sure selling some women short.

Simple words such as: "hey hold there dear, I was watching that - its almost over" would work without any discussion.:)

Back