next step for joey in controlling afib; pls keep fingers crossed!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sylviayasgur

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
hi all,
as many of you know, joey was taking amiodarone for many years. he was on a scant dose and the doctors felt that as long as it was doing it's job (which it was), he should stay on it.
i was very unhappy and uncomfortable with that decision and kept urging joey to try other meds.
he finally gave in (tired of my nagging?) and we went to see a dr. at the arrhythmia clinic at montefiore hospital. he gave joey several options and we devised a game plan together.
joey started by stopping the amio and starting multaq a month thereafter. unfortunately, the multaq has not been doing the trick and joey has bouts of afib every few days, sometimes for a whole day, then not at all some days.
step two_ this is where those crossed fingers come in_ is stopping the multaq and going into the hospital on may 24th for two days to start taking (monitored) tikosyn. i am praying that this will do the trick and keep him out of afib (long term). if this doesn't work, he goes back on the amio for the summer so he can have a relaxed summer (out of fib) and we talk possible ablation in the fall.
although joey seems pretty relaxed about this whole thing, i am very anxious.
will let you all know how it goes.
stay well all,
sylvia

Hoping for the best for your husband, Sylvia.

BTW, when I've had some arrhythmia issues since valve replacement, one thing that has been repeatedly addressed has been in regard to the state of my mineral balance. When I had some A-fib/A-flutter, I was readmitted to the hospital and put on a temporary regimen of Sotalol but I was also given magnesium IVs. A few years later, when I was having some mostly innocuous but very bothersome arrhythmia, the doctor immediately checked my minerals and they were out of whack again. Several situations, even medications, including heart medications, can contribute to mineral imbalance. My hypertensive med had eventually caused a cumulative side effect that caused my mineral imbalance. I don't know if any of that info is helpful but thought I'd toss it in there with my continued best wishes.

thank you all so much for your well wishes.
al and lily, joey was taking sotalol presurgery as a preventive measure against afib. it was super effective.
4 days post surgery, however, he went into afib and although they gave him a bolus of sotalol, he did not respond. therefore, it is not an option for him.
too bad.
about the magnesium... i've told him about it numerous times (in fact, that was one of the meds they gave him 4 days post surgery)... the man is stubborn and knows better. i'm not done with that one yet!
thank you all so much. i'm just nervous because i don 't want him back on the amio. he's already developed retinal deposits (they don't impair his vision), and has a minimal diminished lung capacity (test shows, he doesn't feel it).
thanks for your prayers, nancy, luana, lucylou.
all the best to you all,
sylvia

On the magnesium thing, I Googled using search term magnesium content of foods, and found in addition to interesting links on that topic, a useful page http://www.mgwater.com/listb.shtml#arr and of course there are others. Another mineral that can affect heart rhythm if out of whack is potassium. How recently and how often does his Doctor have his electrolytes checked? If not done recently, 'bug' the Doctor about getting it done. Also, take a look at http://content.onlinejacc.org/cgi/content/abstract/29/5/1028
Even though that article refers to ventricular arrythmias, I learned in my brief AFib experience that the atrial flutter often is accompanied by VTach.
Don't second guess yourself on the Amiodarone, you are correct that it is a very dangerous drug which becomes more dangerous the longer someone is on it. I know you mentioned Multaq did not work, but maybe the problem was the dosage level, not that the drug did not work?
Jeanie
Edited to add, peanuts have magnesium and potassium, how cool: http://www.peanut-institute.org/NutritionBasics.html and
http://www.ctds.info/magdiet.html

. . . joey was taking sotalol presurgery as a preventive measure against afib. it was super effective.
4 days post surgery, however, he went into afib and although they gave him a bolus of sotalol, he did not respond. therefore, it is not an option for him.
too bad.
about the magnesium... i've told him about it numerous times (in fact, that was one of the meds they gave him 4 days post surgery)... the man is stubborn and knows better. i'm not done with that one yet!
thank you all so much. . .
Sylvia, I was wondering about the post-op Sotalol issue. Just a wild thought perhaps, but maybe there were just too many meds and/or chemical residuals in his system right after surgery for it to its work properly? I guess the doctors would likely have considered that though. They usually have so much wide-ranged experience with so many people on various medications whereas most of us probably have only a few specific personal experiences.

And in regard to minerals, for my more recent mineral imbalance, my cardio ordered a simple blood test which clearly indicated my mineral imbalance. Even though I don't recall that things were dramatically out of range, it was enough to cause some medically "benign" but personally difficult arrhythmia issues.

I remember also that one or more of the heart medications that my father took for his hypertrophic cardiomyopathy eventually caused him some significant mineral imbalances. Then the cardios put him on other simultaneous things which seemed to cause greater instability. So complicated, what the side effects of all these meds can do to you. And, of course, the amiodarone stays in a person's system for months after being taken, doesn't it? My mother recently told me that my father had been on amiodarone for some months also.

Anyway, just wanted to add those few more thoughts that flitted through my mind as I read your reply. Take care and continued best wishes :)

hi jeanie,
thanks so much for those sites; they are great and i've forwarded them to joey. it's one of the things he does NOT take but should be taking, considering his history with afib.
the dosage of multaq he is taking is the high end loading/ starting dose. don't think they want to increase it (or are able to?).

hi lily,
after surgery, they gave him such a concentrated dose of the sotalol (i'm sure they considered all that was in his system) but since he "broke through" that med, it has since no longer been a candidate or option. besides a huge dose of magnesium at the same time, the started the amio, which_ ofcourse_ did the trick. most of us don't like change, but this is one case in which trying something else is so necessary. joey hates being in afib (can't say i blame him), but knowing it's not life-threatening and knowing there's a possibility of something less harmful out there, makes this a much needed change or trial.

thank you all for being so caring and helpful. will keep you posted as next week approaches.
be well,
sylvia

Afib is the devil. That is one thing that I wish weren't a possible part of the package. Too many people suffering with it and most of them cannot walk away from Amiodarone.

Gosh, I hope all these changes work for him. Didn't have aFib except while I was a zombie just post-surgery so can only imagine how scary/annoying it is. I do have PVC's. Interesting thing about my PVC's...... husband got laid off and was suddenly home 24/7 (over 18 months ago). I'm a stay at home mom (recent empty nester) and was SO enjoying my peaceful time alone in the house. All these changes sent my heart into a very nutty place -- BP was elevated, PVCs returned with a vengeance (I wrote about this months ago ;)). Over time (months) and some tiny increases in BP meds I have accepted these changes and everything about me has settled down.

So, my point is -- how is his stress level? Any changes? Any foreseeable changes coming up that might be festering inside him? Tame those!

If he is game, how about some acupuncture? (I know, oh, Marguerite, there you go again with all that stuff!) Be sure to check that through with the cardio first, tho!!! And then, on the magnesum... my husband threw out his back rather badly recently, and our acupuncturist had him soak his feet in a small tub of water with 1 cup epsom salts. She said he needed magnesium and that epsom salts are loaded with it and this would soak up through his skin. Who knew?? Might be easier than swallowing supplements.... nice relaxing bath? or foot bath? I wish I had gone to the acupuncturist when my heart went all flippy-floppy -- don't know why I didn't , come to think of it.

So, keep us posted and please wish him well.

Marguerite

Sylvia, sorry to jump in so late on this but want to tell you last night I was flying from Lax back to Sacramento and had a conversation with a fellow who was flying home to Florida while waiting for my flight. As luck would have it, (luck?), we discovered both of us had had OHS. Gill,(the mans Name) told me he had horrible A-Fib problems after his surgery and had tried most everything to control it with no luck.They finally gave him something that did the trick, and when I asked what it was he said TIKOSYN!!!He has been A-Fib free for over a year now. I know that not all drugs work the same on all people but at least this can give you some hope. will keep both of you in my Prayers..... Daren

thank you all for your support and concern; it means so much.
marguerite,
yes, stress does increase the incidence of afib in joey, and yes, he has had accupuncture but for other physical ailments. i am still pushing the magnesium, but i think someone else will have to tell him about it, b/c i'm only his wife and he doesn't feel like hearing it from me this time.
daren,
thanks for that positive note. i am truly hoping that it will work. really don't want him to go back on amiodarone, even if it's temporarily for the summer.
will keep you all posted.
a week from today he will be in the hospital being poked and prodded and monitored!
the kids and i bought him an ipad for father's day and were thinking of giving it to him early b/c the doc said the hospital has wifi and he can use a computer.
with all the hype, however, about the network "hogging" or disturbance it has been rumored to cause, i'd rather he just take his computer.
nice thought tho.
thanks again, all of you.
be well,
sylvia

Sylvia - Joey will be in my thoughts and prayers - and you also - that you will have peace as you go through the coming months - that Joey will be a-fib free soon without having to go back on the amiodarone. Best wishes! I will check back in for a great update that I know will be waiting.

Christina L

Sylvia, I'm jumping on here late but wanted you to know that I suffered from Afib for many years. Tambacor was the drug that worked for me for almost 13 years, but when it stopped doing it's job, then I tried just about every other drug there was except for the Amiodarone. I never took it. I'm hoping that the Tikosyn is the drug that will work for Joey just like Tambacor worked for me. When I had gone through all the drugs I then decided to have the AV node ablation done. I had to have a pacemaker implanted, but I'm finally free of the Afib. I was just so tired of having to go into the hospital to be cardioverted and when my cardiologist suggested an ablation, I did it. I must say, it was probably the best thing I ever did. I will be keeping you and Joey in my thoughts and hope that the Tikosyn does the job for Joey. LINDA

Dear Sylvia,

I do hope that all turns out well for you and Joey. I'm not really sure I understand what afib is but it seems as though it must have something to do with flutters. As I understand it, sometimes, most of the time it isn't serious. Am I correct?
Best of luck, as luck is something we all need, Joseph

Back