newly diagnosed

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, Margarite. Definately words of wisdom. I have been so busy preparing the house for the family (extra shopping, teaching the hubby how to pay bills, making lists of our financial standings, writing substitute plans) that I haven't thought about me.
I will definately be taking a few walks (short as they may be) in the next few days. It's easy to get caught up in the "have tos".

Oops, I am sorry that I spell your name incorrectly. I meant... Marguerite.

michellep said:
What! No sword fighting! Well, forget it then!
Chicken. BAk Bak. :D

What many will fail to tell you is that you don't want to be having this surgery over and over again. Once is enough. With each sucessive surgery comes more complictions for the next. Statistically, things look great, but reality is, it's a roll of the dice.

"Surgery is set for Jan 12 for a aorta valve replacement. I am going with tissue as I can't stand the thought of blood thinners. Plus, the ticking of the mechanical valve makes me think of the croc from Peter Pan. Now how am I going to sneak up on those first graders if they can hear me coming?"

I thought about posting this since yesterday, but didn't want to start anything, but I'm a little confused and disapointed by this thread, I always thought one of the things we all agree with on this site is once a person makes up their mind about their choice, we support them, wether it would be our choice or not. I know before a decision is made and people are asking for opinions everyone is free to say why they chose a certain valve and it does tend to get heated, BUT Once a person makes up their mind, we usually just congradulate them on their choice, knowing it is one of the hardest choices to make and support them as they get ready for surgery,ect.
I can't imagine thinking something thru, discussing it w/ doctors and feeling the relief and peace that can come with making this choice and then telling everyone here I made a decisions and "MY" reasons and then basicaly being told (in as nice a way as possible) that i should rethink it,
I realize the first post suggesting learning more about mech/coum was because you should have a second choice/backup, but then it just seems to be post that aren'tbeng 100% supportive of HER decision and all the reason she should consider a different choice ect.
I always felt that one of the reason this site continues to be such a helpful place, IS because we know there is no 100% right choice for everyone (even if WE think there is) and no matter what the choice(or why) we back them on it and make the time until surgery as supportive and stressfree as possible. In MY opinion post making a person doubt their choice is not doing either.
I hope this doesn't become a trend, because then I'm afraid when people make up their mind they won't feel free to post their decision, incase others don't agree with them and if that happens, I think it will be pretty sad. Lyn

Don't worry, I didn't take the opinions harshly. I look at the debate as people who care and who have been there sharing what they know (and feel). I know that when I make the final/ultimate decision, everyone will stand by me.
Had my second opinion cardiologist today. He totally agrees that I need surgery. Good to know that I am moving in the right direction...

michellep said:
I know that when I make the final/ultimate decision, everyone will stand by me.
Michelle,
It doesn't really matter what any of us think. You're the one going through the surgery. We're not doing it in your place!;) Decide what you want, and then move on.

Hi Michelle,

I have not read everyone's response to your post and I am brand new here so I apologise in advance if I repeat what someone else may have said.

I had the same condition as you but mine was discovered when I was 9 years old. I have known all my life about it and that I would eventually need surgery. I had the surgery when I was 41, talk about a long wait :)

When I was told that I finally have to have the surgery I spent about 3 to 4 months doing solid research about my condition and also trying to get medical insurance, the latter being a futile exercise. I was (and still am) self employed and could not get medical insurance with a pre-existing condition. Anyhow, I have always known a lot about my condition but now I researched valves, surgeons etc etc etc.

I found that knowledge was power for me. I was scared beyond belief but knowledge was very helpful to me. But, I am extreeeeemly squeemish so I wanted to know "everything" but there were some things I just didn't want to know - just my weirdness.

I finally chose a Medtronic porcine tissue valve because I lead an active life and really didn't want to go onto Coumadin.

It is 4 1/2 years since my surgery and I have run in 3 marathons and am generally fit and healthy. I lost over 25 pounds (gladly) after the surgery and have kept them off since. Although I ocassionally eat badly and get lazy (we all do, right?) the surgery made me so much more aware of keeping myself healthy.

I hope my very abridged story gives you some encouragement. It seems like you are already doing tons of research which is great.

The best of luck and good health to you.

Stan

michellep said:
I am 38 year old woman and have 2 children. I am trying to accept my new diagnosis (1 week). I had been having chest pains and a murmur was discovered 6 months ago. My doctor ordered an echo which revealed a bicuspid aortic valve with severe regurgitation. My tricuspid and mitral valves also have leakage. My cardiologist has told me that I will need a valve replacement, but doesn't know the timeline yet. I'm scheduled for a stress echo this week and then possible a cardio-cath.
I am having a difficult time accepting that I have gone from a healthy, active person to a sick person with a possibly life-threatening condition. I am stressed not knowing when I will have the surgery and feel tired and winded from my symptons.
How did you all handle the wait?
Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Just wanted to wish you all the best with yoru up coming surgery. I found that not having too long to think and re think about things was a blessing.

Keep up the positive thoughts and I look forward to hearing how well you are doing post op.

cheers,

Chris:)

Stan925 said:
I finally chose a Medtronic porcine tissue valve because I lead an active life and really didn't want to go onto Coumadin.

Stan

We have a whole forum of Active Lifestyle Coumadin Users. Why would you think that you couldn't lead an active lifestyle if you were on Coumadin?

Ross said:
We have a whole forum of Active Lifestyle Coumadin Users. Why would you think that you couldn't lead an active lifestyle if you were on Coumadin?
Because depending on one active lifestyle it could be unsafe, such as what I do like riding motorcycles, working around heavy equipment or any other lifestyle that could cause some sort of gashes or blunt force to their body. I remember before my surgery I was talking to this very nice older gentleman from Mended Hearts who has been on counadin for a long time, he told me if you fall and hit your head it is imperative that you go to the ER.
Not to say folks on coumadin cant lead active life styles, but their choice of activties would be a little different. :)

Arnold Ziffel said:
Because depending on one active lifestyle it could be unsafe, such as what I do like riding motorcycles, working around heavy equipment or any other lifestyle that could cause some sort of gashes or blunt force to their body. I remember before my surgery I was talking to this very nice older gentleman from Mended Hearts who has been on counadin for a long time, he told me if you fall and hit your head it is imperative that you go to the ER.
Not to say folks on coumadin cant lead active life styles, but their choice of activties would be a little different. :)

Contact Sports are probably out, but we have MANY Runners, including Marathoners, not to mention our dedicated Mountain Bikers.

Blows to the head should be checked out, both short term and after several days to be sure there aren't any 'slow bleeds' in the brain.

Coumadin patients need to be careful, but it's not necessary to live in a padded cell as many (even in the medical field) would have you believe.

'AL Capshaw'

Common sense precautions. If you have common sense, there is little that you cannot do. We have bikers, Tae Kwondo students, Robthatsme still works with chainsaws, Hank still boat skies, I stll cut myself on cars all the time and none of us have bled to death yet. We had this surgery to have a life. I would sincerely hope that you'd live it and not subject yourself to the padded cell theory of old days thinking.

Stan925 said:
...When I was told that I finally have to have the surgery I spent about 3 to 4 months doing solid research about my condition and also trying to get medical insurance, the latter being a futile exercise. I was (and still am) self employed and could not get medical insurance with a pre-existing condition. Anyhow, I have always known a lot about my condition but now I researched valves, surgeons etc etc etc....

Stan - Did you ever research the HIPAA program for medical insurance? I was on a waiting list for it and needed to prove that I had been denied by an insurance company and we pay quite a bit more for it but perhaps that might be an option for you.

(edit - I just posted a thread with a link to HIPAA information, also in the Heart Talk forum)

Hi Susan,

Yes, I certainly did but was not applicable in my case. My only option, if you call it that was the State of CA has a program for those that have been denied insurance. It is funded by lawsuits from tobacco cases. But, the monthly rates were outrageous and even so I could not get onto the program. The waiting list was years and I did not have that time available.

Best regards,
Stan

Susan BAV said:
Stan - Did you ever research the HIPAA program for medical insurance? I was on a waiting list for it and needed to prove that I had been denied by an insurance company and we pay quite a bit more for it but perhaps that might be an option for you.

(edit - I just posted a thread with a link to HIPAA information, also in the Heart Talk forum)

Michellep said:
The Bicuspid Aortic Foundation's website is terrific! I went back over my two echos and found that my aortic root is 3.9 cm (norm is 2.0-3.7). It was 3.1 on 12/5. And is was cited that my ascending aorta is "mildly dialated" on 12/5 and on 12/26. I will definately get this checked on Tuesday.
Hard to comment on the wide differences in the aortic root measurements (3.1 - 3.9). I strongly suspises that one of 'em is faulty.

However, the aorta doesn't undilate. And it generally doesn't remain stable once it begins to expand (although it may well take years to become dangerous). Untouched, I would be looking at it as a harbinger of an extra, unplanned OHS. It will hang over your head (actually, your heart) as long as it remains unaddressed.

Just speaking as one of your VR.com "older brothers," I would seriously discuss with your surgeon what his plans are for it, and whether and how he will be stabilizing it to avoid an interim OHS (one that occurs before your valve-to-be needs replacing).

Best wishes,

Get an accurate scale

Get an accurate scale

Hi, Michelle,
I am one of proverbial husbands often mentioned in this thread :D
The good news is that I've come a long way to become a pretty good nurse for my wife, all thanks to this forum.
My seemingly wife went from a diagnosis to the emergency OHS in 2 days :eek:
I knew next to nothing about a heart disease, not to mention the aortic disease.

I am sure your husband will do fine when time comes...
It helps that you guys found this site before your surgery.

The nurse at CICU did a wonderful job of preparing the scared husband a day before her surgery.
Contrary to my anxiety, my wife looked fine when I went to see her for the first time after the surgery.
They wrapped her hair in a white towel and covered her with warm air blanket.
Her color looked fine.
She looked almost like she was taking a nap at a spa! (Other family member said the same thing afterward).
She did have so many tubes and wires hooked up though.
Scariest thing was the chest drain tube. I did not take my 7 year old to see her until she was off the drain tube.
And nice nurses took an extra care to hide other tubes and wires to make it less noticeable when they heard our son was coming.

Dr. Speir was my wife's surgeon. You are in good hands.
Now you have a surgery date set, I thought I would share few things from our experience

#1. Get an accurate electronic scale. After the surgery you will need to monitor your weight daily to watch for the fluid build-up around the heart and lungs (pericardial effusion and pleural effusion).
We did that and 2 weeks post-op, we noticed a sudden weight gain of 1 lb one day, 1 more lb the next day and 2 more lb the 3rd day. We went to the surgeon's office immediately. She did not have any symptoms but the surgeon's office ordered an echo and discovered the effusion and signs of cardiac tamponade which would've been dangerous if we did not detect it early with the accurate scale.
Get Tanita scale (Bed, Bath and Beyond has them locally). We found it very accurate and consistent. Some other electronic scales we tried gave different weights when we weight ourselves multiple time back-to-back. These would not have detected 1 lb change. Tanita gives the same weight everytime.
Weigh yourself at the same time each day (when you wake up before you eat anything).

#2. Like Al Capshaw said I will third the recommendation to have a Second Valve Choice in mind before going in for surgery.
All the testing and imaging done prior to surgery are still just approximation.
Surgeons do not know the true state until they go in there.
Discuss this with Dr. Speir. For mechanical as a back-up choice, I would definitely ask about On-X. If On-X is not viable option, then a 3rd generation valve from St. Jude (Regent)
We found coumadin is a problem more because of the medical people who do not know how to manage it.
After we began to self-test and self-manage and it became so much easier. On-X valve has a possibility of making coumadin even less of an issue.

#3. Get an MRI / CT for accurate imaging of entire aorta (chest and abdomen) before the surgery.
Echo does not give accurate view of the size of aorta and probable reason for 2 different number you got for the size of the dilatation.
Usually surgeons order these imaging to better plan the surgery and I am surprised you did not get it done. MRI would be a better choice (no radiation exposure) but surgeon may have a preference based on what he is looking for.

#4. Like Marguerite said put yourself first even if just for a while. Your students and family will be fine.

I will post more if think of other things. Maybe I am being a pump-head :p

Great advice! I will pick up a scale today. I am seeing my cardio today and will "demand" (in a nice way" an MRI.
I think this hardest thing I have had to accept is the help of others. My staff wants to prepare dinners for my family. My "room mom" volunteer wants to grocery shop for me. My team mates are going to prepare my lesson plans. The neighbors are going to walk my dogs. I want the help, but it is hard to admit that I need it. :(
I ordered my recliner from QVC. :p

Weight and recliners

Weight and recliners

They are big on you monitoring your weight daily after surgery. First thing in the morning after using the bathroom and before getting dressed. I was told to report any weight gain greater than 1 kg in a day or 2 kg in a week.
As for the recliner I had one anyway; however I found it harder to get out of than a bed because I couldn't use my arms to push myself up from it. It was easier to stand up getting out of bed. So my advice is if you really want a recliner get one that you have actually tried yourself to get out of without using your arms. :)

Step Stool

Step Stool

W e found that sometimes you need to be firm with doctors (while still being nice).
Just remember you and your family have a "slightly" more stake in this...

If you do not have a step stool, get one when to go to get a scale (pump-head :p ) It makes it much easier to get in and out of the bed once you come home. We bought a RubberMaid brand with wide non-slip surface.

About getting help and letting others take care of things...
You are not supposed to lift anything heavy or push the vacuum cleaner for 8-12 weeks after OHS to allow proper healing of the bones.
My wife was one of those super woman who has to maintain the house in immaculate condition. So I told her cardio right after the surgery that I was worried she might start pushing the vacuum cleaner too early after the surgery. The cardio said not to worry because she would feel so much pain if she tries that and he was right.
I do not mean to scare you with the pain. She felt more pain when she tried to do too much too early. Otherwise it was bearable considering what she went through.
Just listen to your body. It will let you know when you are trying to do too much.

My neighbors picked up our kid, they walked our dog, etc during that time.
It actually brought us a lot closer with our neighbors which is a good thing.
Do not feel bad about needing or accepting help. Put yourself in their shoes. Wouldn't you do the same thing for them if they were in your situation?

EJ

Back