newly diagnosed

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thnk it would depend on the height of your bed whether you would need a step stool or if it would just be something in the way. Justin has a regular bed that you could just sit down on, and i have one of those huge 15 inch mattresses that i needed a steph stool to get in easily after gallbladder surgeries. even with needing it there is so little space on my side of the bed I tripped over the step stool a few times, lyn

Scales, since you are a Q shopper like me :eek:) (or my DH may substitute the word addict for shopper lol) we got a scale like this, but the older model http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail
one good thing about a scale like this is it has a memory and can keep track of your wieght, ( for a few people)instead of having to remeber it or write it down, Lyn

oops just realized the link doesn't work, so it is Item Number V24991
Weight Watchers Body Fat Electronic Scale

Michele-

I just went through the same thing as you. (44 and in good heaslth, so I thought) It was quite a shock, but did finally explain the way I had been feeling. there are some very knowledgable and helpful people on this site. I was diagnosed in September, and originally wanted to have surgery in late November or even December. I was such a head case, my wife and I decided to go ahead and have surgery Sep 29th. Once you know it's and inevitability, and you have done all of your homework, I would say don't wait. I feel so much better now, I just wish I had been diagnosed sooner. I realize how much life I was missing out on while slowly suffering and not knowing what was wrong with me.

Good luck.

Felix

As Lyn said, the need for the step stool depends on the height of your mattress. We have tall mattresses.

In terms of the pain management, one thing that really helped was to lie on your side. There is a limit to the amount of pain med they can give you and, on top of that, my wife did not tolerate the pain med well, making her really dizzy.

Some experienced nurses in CICU saw this, came over, and had her lie on her side by wedging pillows behind her back. This instantly reduced the pain level by more than a half.
It seemed not all nurses were aware of this because I had to ask nurses do that for her next day.
I felt maybe this should be a mendatory traing for CICU nurses because it was so effective on her.
They said most pain she felt was mostly from the tip of chest drain tube rubbing inside and lying on the side changes where it touched.
Besides, lying on your back in one position all day causes aches and cramps anyway and repositioning helps with that, too.

In the beginning I could not do this myself (being a "brave" male :eek: ) with all the tubes and wires, but in the end I was able to reposition her without needing nurses.
You may want to prepare your husband on this so he can ask nurses do this for you after the surgery. Your voice may be too soft right after the surgery for others to hear you clearly.

Another thing that helped was a PCA pump. It is the device that dispenses a small amount of pain med. everytime when you push the button. Instead of getting a big peaks and valleys with the pain med injection every 4 hours or so, you get a small amount more frequently to get more even amounts in your system. You control when you need it and it has a safe guard pre-programmed so you do not get too much.
The anesthesiologist can order one for you when you talk to your nurse after the surgery.

It seems each person's experience with pain is different after OHS. My wife needed lots of help in this area but if you are like my neighbor's mom, you may come through without needing all this.
At any rate, you will come through fine in the end :)

EJ

doyo said:
W e found that sometimes you need to be firm with doctors (while still being nice).
Just remember you and your family have a "slightly" more stake in this...

If you do not have a step stool, get one when to go to get a scale (pump-head :p ) It makes it much easier to get in and out of the bed once you come home. We bought a RubberMaid brand with wide non-slip surface.

About getting help and letting others take care of things...
You are not supposed to lift anything heavy or push the vacuum cleaner for 8-12 weeks after OHS to allow proper healing of the bones.
My wife was one of those super woman who has to maintain the house in immaculate condition. So I told her cardio right after the surgery that I was worried she might start pushing the vacuum cleaner too early after the surgery. The cardio said not to worry because she would feel so much pain if she tries that and he was right.
I do not mean to scare you with the pain. She felt more pain when she tried to do too much too early. Otherwise it was bearable considering what she went through.
Just listen to your body. It will let you know when you are trying to do too much.

My neighbors picked up our kid, they walked our dog, etc during that time.
It actually brought us a lot closer with our neighbors which is a good thing.
Do not feel bad about needing or accepting help. Put yourself in their shoes. Wouldn't you do the same thing for them if they were in your situation?

EJ

I'm a clean floor nut also. Fortunatley we have 2 Roomba Vacs and a Scooba that we got for christmas that mops. They look like a gimmick but I can attest that they are really good at cleaning carpeted and non carpeted floors and that Scooba does a decent job of mopping.!!!

What a great excuse to go out and buy one of each, OHS....

(Who here thinks Son of A ___ everytime they see SOB.... Fine, guess it's just me... LOL!)

kevin21 said:
(Who here thinks Son of A ___ everytime they see SOB.... Fine, guess it's just me... LOL!)

Hilarious! Yes, I did. You'll get over it but it takes a while!

Five more days until surgery. Yikes! I have been reading more medical journal articles concerning quadricuspid valves. It seems that they come with other problems including an abnormal left coronary ostium and atriventricular septal defects. One more things to discuss with my surgeon.
Did you find your self exhausted before the surgery? I have been getting about 10 hours of sleep but I still take a nap daily and could really take multiple naps. I also am very dehydrated, even though I drink the same amount of fluids that I always have.
I am looking forward to seeing that other side of that mountain that everyone has been talking about. Come on Friday!!!

michellep said:
Five more days until surgery. Yikes! I have been reading more medical journal articles concerning quadricuspid valves. It seems that they come with other problems including an abnormal left coronary ostium and atriventricular septal defects. One more things to discuss with my surgeon.
Did you find your self exhausted before the surgery? I have been getting about 10 hours of sleep but I still take a nap daily and could really take multiple naps. I also am very dehydrated, even though I drink the same amount of fluids that I always have.
I am looking forward to seeing that other side of that mountain that everyone has been talking about. Come on Friday!!!

Michelle, will be thinking of you this week - I'm finding it hard just being in the waiting room so can't imagine what it will be like in the week leading up to surgery - imagine the relief though when you wake up and it is all over :)

michellep said:
Five more days until surgery. Yikes!...Did you find your self exhausted before the surgery? I have been getting about 10 hours of sleep but I still take a nap daily and could really take multiple naps...

I had a little over a week's notice of the surgery date and I found myself getting up at or before dawn every morning. I would go out and sit on our back porch and watch all the birds at my feeders and sip coffee and think. There was a lot to think about. It brought me peace.

I also made lists to prioritize essential pre-op tasks, etc., and check them off. Ignore the nonessentials. That willl bring peace too.

Hope all goes well, Michelle!

The OHS was not nearly as bad as I imagined and it was over, and I was on the other side of the mountain, before I knew it. I was really surprised on just how "routine" this is for the doctors and nurses that took really great care of things. As Stretch says, "the other side of the mountain in beautiful". Don't get too run down before surgery. In the last week before surgery, I went shopping for dvds, cds, magazines, even a puzzle, as "hobbies" to look forward to post-op. I couldn't wait to get the OHS over with so I could get into my new purchases. :D Before I knew it I was was already back at work! :mad:

All the best, Michelle. I look forward to hearing about your adventure from the other side of the moutain.

michellep said:

Yep..and there comes a time when you just have to put it all down..and have a great day or two with your husband and kids.. and family. Laugh, eat and just try to ENJOY yourself.
NOt as if it is your last, but because your focus will be different for a few weeks after surgery.
Recovery is always slower than we want it to be, and it is good to prepare yourself for that. We tend to want to be better in a week, and it just isn't the case.
So ..go out and laugh, love and live it up..with your loved ones, b/c they will need to be a bit more gentle with you for a few weeks ahead.
You are young and healthy and will do GREAT!
My husband barely spoke about it before hand, but he was so attentive and helpful afterwards, as were my kids.
Men just like to fix things..and they can't fix this problem so sometimes they dont' know how to act.
He will be fine..and so will you..
Can't wait to hear of the boring recovery 'cuz those are the best ones!:)

Just wanted to say welcome!
Also, I saw your post on the recliner. I think its a great idea! I wish I had one after my surgery. Laying flat in bed hurt really bad, and I needed to be upright for several weeks. The couch was awful!

Good luck with everything! :)

Shannon

Hi Michelle

Hi Michelle

Michelle- Hi, I am 38 yrs old with one child, and same story-- I knew I had mvp my whole life, pretty much asymptomatic, very healthy and extremely athletic, yada yada yada. Three months ago they told me my regurgitation has gone from moderate to severe and that although I could wait a year or so or maybe more for surgery, every day that passed upped my risk of adverse events.

I came on this website and canvassed everyone and came to the conclusion that as scary as it was, I don't want this hanging over my head, so I am scheduled to have surgery at Penn Presbyterian in March, by heart port (minimally invasive).

My advice, GET 'ER DONE! Face it, get it overwith and go on! I know that sounds harsh, but you can't hide from this. THe doctors told me "the hand writing was on the wall" meaning that either I had it done in the next year or few years or faced a gradual decline into congestive heart failure. NOT AN OPTION FOR ME. I don't even want to begin to have my heart being taxed that way, so I am heading this puppy off- NOW.

I am not scared of the cath, that doesn't bother me. And generally I am pretty tolerant of most medical procedures. What freaks me out is the stopping of the heart, but I try not to focus on that.

I actually feel TONS better now that the surgery is scheduled b/c I feel proactive and prepared. I'm sure I'll be worrying about it more as it comes closer but I am actually a bit excited that its drawing closer and almost here.

Good luck, and email me if you want to talk further.

Linda (NJ)

doyo said:
About getting help and letting others take care of things...
You are not supposed to lift anything heavy or push the vacuum cleaner for 8-12 weeks after OHS to allow proper healing of the bones.
My wife was one of those super woman who has to maintain the house in immaculate condition. So I told her cardio right after the surgery that I was worried she might start pushing the vacuum cleaner too early after the surgery. The cardio said not to worry because she would feel so much pain if she tries that and he was right.
I do not mean to scare you with the pain. She felt more pain when she tried to do too much too early. Otherwise it was bearable considering what she went through.
Just listen to your body. It will let you know when you are trying to do too much.

My neighbors picked up our kid, they walked our dog, etc during that time.
It actually brought us a lot closer with our neighbors which is a good thing.
Do not feel bad about needing or accepting help. Put yourself in their shoes. Wouldn't you do the same thing for them if they were in your situation?

EJ

I think EJ and I are on the same wavelength!! :)

PLEASE accept ALL offers of food. You will not want to cook for at least a week or two. Food may taste dreadful and you may not have that shot of energy at the right time of day to feed the family.

PLEASE let your guard down and accept all help. Hopefully there will be someone at home with you ALL DAY for the first several days. I had a perfect, textbook surgery/recovery and was very very grateful to have someone lurking in the house (I slept a LOT) those first few days until my son came home from college for a long weekend for me. 7 days total, someone was home with me. They didn't do that much. They were just there. The surgery meds and pain meds mess with your head and it's good to have someone who is completely coherent at your beck and call!

One of the things that felt the best was having someone dry my hair! It really isn't that much fun washing your own hair for awhile. Drying it (if you do) was so difficult! If you can imagine....the hairdryer was too heavy! Weakness becomes almost laughable at first....then of course you get your strength back. I'm sure everyone is different, though, and you will have your story to tell, too!! :D

I had 3 very important things that I felt I HAD to get done before surgery. Then there was a very long list after that. Once I'd done those 3 things, I just let go. There was no way to get all of the other ones done so I just forgot about them and started pondering my little place in the universe.....and did that with a smile. Let your faith and trust come in. Relax. It will help you through. :)

We'll be waiting for someone's report!! And we'll have you in our thoughts!!

:) Marguerite

Back