Newbie here-AAA & BAV plus maze surgery on 1/31

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis P

My name is Dennis. I am a 45 yr old dad of two boys 17 & 21. I have been lurking here for a week or so.
I started having a-fib in 07, had six episodes since. On the last one in Oct 2011 my new cardiologist saw something on the echo that made him want to get a CT scan. I learned on 1/17 that I have a 5cm AAA, saw the surgeon (Dr. Mauney at Mo Bap) on 1/19 and my surgery is scheduled for the 31st. Been an interesting couple of weeks. My anxiety has been pretty high, but this site has helped me to know what to expect. I go from "it's no big deal" to "OMG I'm having OHS"! Luckily I have a great family, great friends and a great employer who are there for me 100%. I am staying optimistic and believe I will be good as new when it is all done.
Thanks for all the info on the site.

Dennis

Dennis,

We have similarly aged kids (mine are 18 and 21), and at their age they can understand what's happening to you a bit better than the younger kids that some other people in the waiting room have. You should be all set for their end-of-the-school-year activities since your surgery is scheduled on the 31st.

Best of luck, and hope that the bumps in the road are small for you.

Ken

Hi Dennis, I'm waiting for my surgery on the 23 and can completely relate to the "mood swings" if you will, it's quite the rollarcoaster, but this site defiantly helps calm the nerves, so when you do have a manac episode, it's always nice to browse this site, wonderful community of people.

Good luck on the 31st!

Welcome to VR, Dennis. What you are feeling is just what most of us have felt, Dennis. You seem to be coping very well and suddenly it creeps up on you "Can this really be happening to me?" One morning a lady made a breadfast sandwich for me and put cheese on it which I had asked to be left off. In a flash, I wanted to explode at her. At times such as this our emotions are volitile and the best thing I found to deal with them was to talk about how I felt. This community was very comforting then and, I hope, we still are. In a few days, you will wake up in recovery and much of the anxiety you have been feeling will have vanished. Best Wishes, Dennis, let us know how things are going in a few days.

Larry

Welcome Dennis....glad you found this site. Stick around after your surgery. You will get a lot of post-op support and information that will useful for living a long, active life. After 1/31 you will be a member of the "zipper club" and will be able to say "been there, done that....no big deal". I wish you an easy surgery and quick recovery.

Hi Dennis :)
Welcome to the forum-everyone on here are amazing,
Good luck for tomorrow :) will be thinking of you,
Sarah xxx

Thanks everyone! I am getting ready to take a shower with the "special soap" and try to get some sleep.
Talk to you in a few days!

Dennis

Thinking of you.... Hope all is going well.

Hope you come back and give us an update.

In many ways, I think that you are lucky that you don't have months to agonize with the emotions, but then we all deal with it in different ways.

Surgery was three weeks ago and all is going well. Not as fast as I want, but a bit better everyday. I was in the hospital a total of six days. I had a bit of noise in my lungs they didn't like so they kept me an extra day. I don't remember anything until the morning after surgery. The hospital, nurses and surgeon were great!

Dennis-AAA and BAV-1/31/12-Mo Bap-St Louis, MO

So glad your home and everything went well,
Here's to a good recovery :)
love Sarah xxxx

Congratulations and welcome to the other side. Each day gets easier, continue to use your breathing thingy, rest as often as you feel a need to, and don't push it.

Good to hear things are going well. Enjoy the days when your sons are listening to you and pitching in, because soon enough they will revert to being 17 and 21 year old young men!

Latest posts

Back