New to the board and AVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry45

Hello all, I had my little issue and emergency surgical procedure on Aug 8, 2012. Just over 6 weeks postop and still healing. Chest is still a bit sore and stiff but coming along. I’m still trying to figure out who was driving the bus that hit me! I’m active duty military and have been running and exercising daily for most of my 49 years. I’ve been running 10Ks, Army ten miler, couple of half marathons and completed a tough mudder and other adventure type obstacle races this year. My times are nowhere close to some of the times posted here but I’m still proud of them and really looking forward to getting back to running. I should start cardio-rehab next week and I’m really looking forward to it. I’ve read a lot of the posts here concerning running and exercise and I’m very encourage by them. I’m actually signed up for the Army Ten Miler on 21 Oct and I’m not giving up on it yet. I am walking over 2 miles everyday and want to start light jogging next week. Anyone have any thoughts on me making and completing the ten miler? I know I will have to run very slow, 11-12 minute miles at best and walk a lot of it as well. But, I really want the finishers coin! I see my cardiologist on the Sep 25th and plan to ask him about the runs as well.

Hi Terry45. Welcome. To an old man, your ten miler seems pretty ambitious after only 2 1/2 months.....but what do I know. Post op recovery is a lot different now.....if you're cardio says you're good to go, I would do it although I would take it easy. Often, we feel that we have something to proove and tend to overdue, causing setbacks. Some of the runners will come by with good advice for you. Congrats on having an ambitious plan....shows you are on the mend.

Last edited:
Welcome..former Marine here...thanks for your service. As far as running the 10 miler, I could see it as a possibility, but woud expect that you would have to do a run/ walk combo. Every person is different in terms of recovery, but I did not start running until 8 weeks post op...and that was very short and easy. Althrough, here is a guy that ran the Boston marathon 11 weeks post op: http://www.runnersworld.com/events/boston06/chat_buciak.html

Hi Terry45. Welcome. To an old man, your ten miler seems pretty ambitious after only 2 1/2 months.....but what do I know. Post op recovery is a lot different now.....if you're cardio says you're good to go, I would do it although I would take it easy. Often, we feel that we have something to proove and tend to overdue, causing setbacks. Some of the runners will come by with good advice for you. Congrats on having an ambitious plan....shows you are on the mend.

Welcome Terry. Wow you were really lucky they diagnosed your dissection in time, How did they find it/ were you having symptons and went to the ER, or did your doctor hear a problem during a normal check up? asend for testing?
Glad to hear things are going so well Dick made really good points, the lst thing you want to do is over due and cause a set back starting at the beginning. Hopefully the cardiologis will give you to go ahead. What meds are you on? Some make it a little harder to get your HR up

Last edited:
Welcome Terry,

Good to hear you are recovering well. You are still very much in the healing phase. I have just looked back at my training log for 10 weeks post op. I ran/jogged 20 miles that week but the week after I was only walking as my heart felt it had a lot of misbeats and generally did not feel well, i.e. I had overdone things the week before. You may be able to run 10 miles if you listen to your body and act accordingly. The problem for me is that when I am in a competitive situation it is hard to stop when by body tells me.

I hope it goes well for you.
Martin

Nah, I'd skip the 10 miler and give it a little more time. You have a lot more years to prove yourself and it is only yourself you're trying to impress here. The rest of humanity is willing to give you a pass for now. If you had a case of tendonitis, you'd sit it out for 3-4 months. Why be in such a hurry for this?

I'm 21 years from AVR with over 20,000 miles and 250 races since.

Thanks for all the replies! I appreciate the tips and advice from all. SumoRunner, Run Martin and Bean Counter are inspirations. I did see my cardio guy today and he said that the 10 miler would mostly be up to the cardio rehab folks. If they think I can get trough it I may try. I assured him that I would only run 11-12 minute miles and walk most of the last half if I do try it. I have a 5k that I will be mostly walking next weekend. That should tell me a lot. My cardio guy mostly said that as long as I'm not out to set records or personnel best times I should be good. Lynlw, I’m taking warfarin with a current mixture of 5mg and 7.5. Therapeutic number is 3.1, metoprolol 25 mg 2xdaily and still on amiodarone 200 mg a day for now. I was in Savannah on business and had been doing some light running with a friend, hot, humid and light rain off and on when I felt a sharpness in my throat area. I knew I couldn’t run but was on a track and walked the remaining mile to the car. Drove us back to the hotel, showered and then started to feel really bad. Friends called the paramedics, they took me to the ER and the Doc made an almost immediate determination of the dissection most likely caused by Marfan syndrome. Weather was not good enough to fly me back to Atlanta and Emory so we ended up doing the surgery there at Memorial hospital in Savannah. All in all I would have to say I was very lucky!! Trust me, long term quality of life is very important and I won't do anything silly or harmful with the ten miler....thanks again to all!

Also trying to figure out how to put my medical info at the bottom of my posts like everyone else...:eek:

Latest update.. I've started cardio rehab and everything is going well so far. I've been walking on the treadmill with speed of 4.0 to 4.5 and 4% incline. I've also been doing other steppers and bikes at pretty good speeds and levels. I hope to start running intervals Monday. I completed the 5K up Kennesaw Mnt on Saturday. 700ft climb overall and about 2.5 miles uphill. Had to walk 1.5 miles down the mountain to get back to the car. Total mileage was 5.5 miles counting everything before and after the 5K. Accomplished both goals..1. make it to the top and finish 2. Don't finish last. Accomplished both! No issues that I know off. Wore my heart rate monitor and Garmin watch. Heart rate was 105-115 when going uphill. A little tired today but everything feels pretty good.

Being hardheaded and stubborn, I'd do it, but with a lot of reservations. I did a tough 5K 6 weeks post surgery but walked a lot of it. Twelve weeks post surgery I ran a 5k without walking. I was 68, you're much younger. First, get your doctors permission, continue your training....abeit slowly and remember to take the walking breaks. Race day, don't get caught up in the sprint from the line mentality; start in the back and enjoy the experience. You have plenty of time to make a terrific comeback to your pre-surgery times. Good luck.

I would agree with Kodi. I would probably be too hard headed not to try the Army 10 miler. But as you can tell, most of us think that's a pretty agressive goal. You will find your training psot op will not be linear; it will go in fits and starts. You will go weeks with little improvement, then one day, boom, a big jump in your training. Good luck and keep us posted!

I forgot to mention the drugs you are taking. The Metopropol is a beta blocker that acts like a governor on your heart; it won't let it beat too fast. SO, as you work out and run, you will be very limited by your HR. The Amiodarone is a antiarrythmatic which again keeps your HR low. So, don't expect too much from your body. I would consult with your doctor about how to get off these drugs. They have a purpose, but they keep your peformance low, whcih can cause you to quit.

Well..I came, I saw, I didn't make it..ended up with severe food poision on Friday night into Saturday. Pretty nasty bout and I ended up in bed all day Saturday at the hotel. I had planned to run slowly for a couple of miles then walk/run the rest of the way or untiil I missed the cut off. Oh well I'll get 'em next year. Important thing is that I was there to see my team guys and girls off and was there at the finishline. All in all, not bad. I am doing the Monster Dash 5K this Saturday and plan to run (slowly) as much of it as possible. Cardiac rehab has been goiing well and I've been walking, running and as of last week, verticle leaps and lunges. Let me tell you, that's tough!

Sorry to hear! There is nothing worse than being sick in a hotel room....I know from experience!

That would be a bummer to show up then be sick. Keep on training....slowly. BTW I wish I could do 11 or 12 minute mile anymore. :)

Latest posts

Back