new to forum...surgery on Feb 12th 08

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinaK

I am 41 years young and having a hard time with this upcoming surgery. I have rescheduled several times, cant seem to commit. This last week I have had panic attacks, which raise my blood pressure, etc. Enough to get to to the doctor. To be honest, I am scared shitless. I feel so alone, although I have a very supportive husband and family. I just dont know what to expect. I have committed to a mechanical valve (ST Jude - hospitals preference). Scared of taking coumadin the rest of my life, scared of having to change my life style (eating right, exercise, etc). All of a sudden I feel like 41 is really old because of this surgery.
I need words of encouragement, I will continue to read everyones comments and hope that my attitude gets better before the 12th!!

Perhaps if you give some specifics about your condition and planned surgery more people can chirp in with specific info.

Firstly, i beat you..had mind done at 37....and yes, i was also scared shitless at the start...actually sat crying in the car at the hospital until i could regain my composure.

It was a fear of the unknown.

Three months later i was going down for surgery totally calm, i kid you not, and happy with what needed to be done....the family were in bits but i was fine...all from spending those months posting questions and reading responses on this site.

Ask your questions in individual posts and we will answer and let you know what to expect.

Coudamin is a none issue for me, i take 5mg or sometimes 6mg a day and eat what the hell i like, i also drink more than perhaps i should...a bottle of wine in a 24hr period and none of this affects my INR. There are people who have problems granted but the vast majority don't...

Yes there may be some lifestyle changes if you take part in contact sports or martial arts but if you just lead a normal life and enjoy family/holidays etc i can't see much of a lifestyle change needed other than not opening that second bottle of wine....

As far as the actual surgery is concerned, and most will probably echo this, you will have 2-3 shitty days (mostly drugged up) and then its improvement after improvement until the point you will be angry with yourself for putting it off for so long.

Yes your chest will be sore for a bit, coughing and sneezing wont be nice for 4-6 weeks but its remarkable how fast recovery is. After a couple of weeks you will be out and about.

If it wasn't for this tick tick in my chest i'd have no idea i had heart issues or that i was anything else than normal....i'm sure you will reach that level also.

Seriously, embrace what is comming up, it will free you from any symptoms you may currently be having and give you a new lease of life.

My wife commented on how 'nice' and 'patient' id become :rolleyes: although she never mentioned i was a tired grumpy bugger before the surgery :D

TinaK said:
I am 41 years young and having a hard time with this upcoming surgery. I have rescheduled several times, cant seem to commit. This last week I have had panic attacks, which raise my blood pressure, etc. Enough to get to to the doctor. To be honest, I am scared shitless. I feel so alone, although I have a very supportive husband and family. I just dont know what to expect. I have committed to a mechanical valve (ST Jude - hospitals preference). Scared of taking coumadin the rest of my life, scared of having to change my life style (eating right, exercise, etc). All of a sudden I feel like 41 is really old because of this surgery.
I need words of encouragement, I will continue to read everyones comments and hope that my attitude gets better before the 12th!!

You will not really have to "adjust your diet" for Warfarin, rather, you will just have to be consistent with what you eat. Just do the "everything in moderation" thing as far as lifestyle goes and you will be fine. You are a young woman Tina!!

13 months ago I was going through this and it all worked out fine. Yes, it IS scary, but it will be ok...you look like you have a very supportive partner, and he and your family (and this forum:) ) will help get you through this...

Just think, in a little over a fortnight you will be posting here to tell us how you made it "over the mountain".

Stay strong Tina, we are all here for you...YOU CAN DO THIS:) :)

Good luck
Bridgette

Welcome, Tina. Just about every member here came in scared just like you and this site was created just for you. Today being nearly Feb, you still have plenty of time to do a lot of reading. It's all in here.

As you read and listen to what others have said, perhaps your fear will lessen. Often, it really calms down once you open the door on admittance day and you just let someone else take over your worries.

All, or nearly, all of the members here have been through this and most have had successful surgeries. We will talk with you and walk with you right on to the surgery and wait for you, anxiously, til you get back.

Blessins.........

Welcome, Tina. As you have already read, you will have lots of company and reassurance on this site. Many have been down the same road and now are here to encourage and support all the newbies. I put you on the calendar, so no backing out this time and we hope to help ease your climb over this mountain and on to a complete recovery and new healthy life.

TinaK said:

Hi Tina ... Welcome to the Zoo, VR.com:D ... I understand exactly how you feel and I know that there is not a lot I can say to calm your fears but I will try:)

I had my St Jude mechanical installed:D 2-21-06 , nearly 2 years ago. I swear it was not near as bad as I imagined. The pain was not near as bad, the recovery was not near as bad and coumadin has been absolutely NO problem for me. As to lifestyle change .... do you need one?;) I still do all the thing I did before surgery. I still exercise at the same level (not nearly enough:p ), I still play golf, I still enjoy my relationship with my wife;) and I still eat ANYTHING that I want.

Getting my valve replaced only made my life better. It did give me more awareness of living a healthy lifestyle. I am in better shape now than I was ten years ago. I have made some changes but they were changes that I should have made before, valve or no valve replacement. VR.com is a great place for support and information. If you are like most of us you will make life long friends. And again, it is not nearly as bad as you might think. You are young (I was 49) ... Take a deep breath, you will do fine.

Hi Tina. Welcome to the VR community. Sorry for the circumstances but glad you found us.

I had a valve repair so cannot provide first hand experience on life with coumadin. However, I can tell you that from all I've learned here, if I ever have to get a valve replacement I wouldn't hesitate to do so. I am confident based on the experiences here that I would be fine with a life on coumadin.

As far as the surgery itself goes, it wasn't nearly as bad as my fears imagined. In fact, after it was all over, my first reaction was "that was it?". The waiting for it was the worst part. Then having the patience during recovery, as it takes time to heal, was the second worse part. The surgery came and went in the blink of an eye.

Best wishes and good luck.

Welcome Tina - we ALL understand your fear. But the fear is truly much worse than the actuality. We are all blessed that we live in a time when our valve disease is very very successfully fixed. 50 years ago, it was a slow death. Not getting it done would be the big mistake.

I've had my St. Jude mitral mechanical for over 16 years and life is terrific. I give little thought to being on Coumadin, except for the few seconds it takes me to take it each night, and every other week when I spend a total of 5 minutes home testing my INR. Please go to this link and read http://valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17116

I'm going to Europe in 6 days - this will be my 3rd trip there since I had my valve replaced. (Wish I could say it was my 16th trip there - but alas - money.:rolleyes: ) Being on Coumadin doesn't stop me from doing anything. If people are telling you that you will have to adjust your activity or watch what you are eating carefully, they don't understand Coumadin.

You will be fine - and you are going to feel so much better!

Tina,

Welcome to the forum. No one is going to tell you OHS is a picnic, but many find (me included) that it was not as hard as feared. Fears going in -- we all had those. I haven't had to deal with coumadin, but many informed users say it is not that big a deal. You can find all kinds of good info on that here. I think you will find that this needed medical procedure gives you a new lease on life, with new possibilities. That's been my experience, in my 60s.

All best wishes,

Hi tina,
lots of people on here living good lives on coumadin, i am not half as scared now about my son possibly having to go on it, thanks to this forum. Keep reading.for those of us who have been waiting years for the time to come, getting a date can be kind of a relief but still scarey, best wishes

TinaK said:

Welcome to our world Tina.

First, you need to know that OHS is a Highly Refined Art with extremely High Success Rates for First (and Second) Surgeries. Nationally, there is a 1% Risk of Stroke and a 1% Risk of Mortality in patients under age 65. This is WAY better than the odds of surviving Valve Disease by doing Nothing! BTW, most patients report little more than some 'discomfort' following surgery. You WILL be Very Tired and recovery takes several weeks, but the vast majority of patients go on to live full and long lives.

There are a lot of Horror Stories about Coumadin based on difficulty maintaining the proper level BEFORE the International Normalized Ratio (INR) method of testing greatly improved monitoring and regulation in the 1990's. The Key to Success is using a real Coumadin Clinic or Educating Yourself and do Home Testing / Dosing.

One of the Best Sources of PROPER information on living with / on Coumadin is www.warfarinfo.com which is the Website of AL Lodwick, a Certified Anti-Coagulation Care Provider, (retired) Coumadin Clinic Director, Author, and Consultant. AL also monitors (or did until he retired) the Anti-Coagulaton Forum on VR.com and is available for support via e-mail.

The relatively New Mechanical Valves (1996) made by On-X offer several technological developments which reportedly reduce the propensity for Clot Formation. FDA authorized studies are underway with those valves to evaluate NO anticoagulation (with Aspirin or Plavix) for Low Risk Patients and LOW anticoagulation for Moderate Risk Patients. See www.onxvalves.com and www.heartvalvechoice.com for more information.

Which Valve are you having replaced (Aortic, Mitral, other?) For what reason? (Stenosis, Regurgitation, Bicuspid, etc.?)

'AL Capshaw'

Hello Tina and Welcome to this fabulous forum.

Your one lucky girl to have this forum before surgery. And I'm sorry I cannot relate on being scared prior to surgery - everything happened within 7 days for me. But what I can tell you that I did feel the same way about being on pills for the rest of my life.

I'm now 10 months (today) post-op and taking coumadin/warfarin everyday is no different than taking a vitamin pill ........at the same time everyday. Thats the honest truth.

Has someone told you that you had to change your life style????
We all know we should eat right and exercise even if one doesn't need surgery....right? But you really don't have to change a thing........I didn't.

After surgery and when you are at home you will have to do breathing exercises and walk and of course eat. Its not so bad, yes it will take time to heal, and we all heal differently. but your young and you have the power to get over this mountain.

And besides your husband and family, you now have US to support you. So, just ask anything that comes to mind.

Try to relax and think positive. You'll be okay.

Welcome to the forum. I know your fears. I am nine days out of surgery and 67 years old. I walk all over my house, too cold to walk outside, get in and of my bed and my recliner. It's no walk in the park but it is douable. We all went through the fears. There is no magic in it other than we will be so much better after.
I cannot help with the coumadin as I am not on it. I have a porcine (pig) valve. Welcome aboard and keep asking questions. VR.com has given me much needed support.
Earline

Welcome and hopefully reading this forum lets you know you are not alone. I was 29 years old when I had a mitral valve repair, my children were very young. I am now 57 and my dual mechanical valves will be 23 years old in April. I can't even begin to tell you how much this surgery has improved over the years. You will do great once you just let go and accept the inevitable. I always used the creed I would rather do it myself than have any one of my children go through surgery...to date each is surgery free. Good luck, Kathleen

I used to live in SoCal - up until about six months ago - and loved going on day trips to Temecula for wine tasting. They didn' exactly have the best wines, but everyone was very laid back and friendly so we kept returning.

As others have mentioned, you fears are quite normal and ones that all of us experienced to one extent or another. The pre-surgery waiting is easily the worst part of the process. I personally felt more and more scared until just a couple days before surgery, and then an indescribable calm set in. Many others on this site have described the same thing. In the end, it's just a BIG annoyance in the long road of life.

Hi Tina! Welcome to our wonderful community.

So from your profile it seems you have already been through this with a valve repair in 1980. Can I presume, then, that it isn't the sternotomy or surgery that actually scares you, but the coumadin?

If it is the coumadin you are worried about you have really come to the right place. SO many valvers here have found very little disturbance to their lives as long as you accept and just learn to manage things in an orderly and natural way. It seems that most doctors paint an exagerrated picture of the downfalls of coumadin. Here there are very successful coumadin users who can guide you to a comfortable existence. Really!

The fact that I chose tissue over mechanical did not have that much to do with the coumadin issue, but I made the choice for somewhat personal reasons. And I was in my 50's.

Please ask new quesitons, do some exploring using the search vehicle here. If someone sounds like they are speaking your language, feel free to Private Message (PM -- see the upper right hand corner of the screen) them for a more thorough or private exchange.

Let's get you over the mountain, shall we??? No more postponements!!! Your heart is probably more than ready for its new valve!

Best wishes.

Marguerite

Been there, too!

Been there, too!

Hi Tina, welcome to the forum. I had my aortic valve replaced in December, and I, too, am on coumadin for the rest of my life. I recovered quickly from my open heart surgery...five days in the hospital, was working part time 3 hours a day from my home on the computer just two weeks after surgery, and went back to work in the office full time at four weeks after surgery. I have no other lifestyle changes other than I have to take Toprol once a day, my coumadin, walk 30 minutes a day. Of course, I still watch what I do with my sternum area and will continue to until at least three months after surgery...mainly for protection. I experienced your same fears...same anxiety...same concerns. Even now, eight weeks after surgery, I just shake my head in amazement and unbelief when I think that I have a titanium ring now inside my heart.
But, I feel so much better now. My severe aortic stenosis caused such shortness of breath that the only major change in my lifestyle was actually being caused by the symptons of the stenosis rather than anything following surgery. As a journalist, I wrote a three-part series for my newspaper detailing the emotional roller-coaster that runs alongside open heart surgery. We all feel it, we all experience parts of it. Hearing from others, especially in a forum such as this website, helps us realize that what we are feeling is normal...and it will get better. I encourage you to find a way to help calm your fears...mine was through prayer and the prayers of others. Do whatever works for you. Just know that the anticipation of the surgery is much worse than actually going through it. Yes, you will feel like you have had surgery for a while...but, that too, will get better. I have so many people telling me today that I look so much better since my surgery. Boy, I must have really looked bad! I really do feel so much better now. You will too! What a wonderful Valentine's gift to yourself, and to your family...
May God bless, and keep us posted.
:)

To Tinak
I like the way you put it....."I'm scared shitless". That shows you are "normal". I also see from your bio that you have been thru heart surgery before so you have an idea of what to expect. You will do fine. This is a very good source for infomation and support.
Warfarin (Coumadin) is no big deal. You only need to follow simple instruction. You learn to "manage" warfarin and you don't let it "manage" you.

Lifestyle should not change from what you do now. If anything, you will be able to do more.

I can't comment on modern valves or surgical procedures since my valve is a dinosaur. But I was told, even back then, that the success rate of surgery was very high. With the advancements in the science and technology I can only iimagine how it is today.

Now if you will excuse me, my wife and I are off to Key Largo for a week of sun, surf, fishing and dolphen encounters. :cool:

You found US..and that alone will be a HUGE help. There are so many words of wisdom to be found on this site! Not to mention many who have felt just as you do.
Many of us have had that same fear anxiety and dread.. Please post and read as much as you can..hopefully that will help you with some of the anxiety.
Welcome

Hi Tina -

Welcome to the site; glad you found it. I was 42 when I had my bicuspid valve replaced. It is quite a shock, isn't it. I don't live very far from you. In fact, there are several members who live somewhat near you, including another in Temecula who just had surgery last week on her pulmonary valve. She received an aortic bovine valve to replace her bad pulmonary valve. You will no doubt have lots more questions. Take care and post again.

Latest posts

Back