New Post Op patient, I am young and new here too.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abecall98

Hi everybody. I recently stumbled across this site, sounds like a great place for all of us to get through what we have all together.

Anyways, I was born with a bicuspid aortic valve, and had aortic stenosis. Now, at age 24, I had my surgery, on 8-5-11. I am about 4 weeks out now, and this week I have really started feeling better. I am still taking Percoset, but I should be off them soon.

Anyways, what advice do you guys have for a 24 year old post op? I have a mechanical valve, so I don't have to go back every 10 years, and yes, I am on Coumadin. I did suffer a fever about 2 weeks after my surgery, and went back to the hospital for 3 nights. It sucked. I also had some fluid build up, and my blood count was low. However, I just visited the cardiologist today, and my levels are up, and my fluid is going down. On top of feeling a lot better, it was great news.

This is a new adventure for me, and I look forward to discussing things with all of you. A community like this is exactly what I need. People that know how it is growing up being looked at as, "different" because I wasn't allowed to play sports when I was younger, because I was the kid with the "heart problem". I feel more normal now, and I hope to hit the gym after another few months, and see how my energetic potential is.

Hey abecall98! This is really the best forum on the internet for valve related anything. I'm 28 and just had surgery 5 weeks ago on July 27th. I'm also looking forward to getting my energy back and being able to jog a few miles and lift some light weights. Step at a time, I wanted to be doing back flips by 1 week post op and that didn't happen. I've really been floored by how much the surgery takes out of you. It really messes with your whole being from physical, mental, and spiritual. I'm keeping my eye on the brass ring and looking forward to how good I'm going to eventually feel. For now most days I have are good with just some of it being sour, but overall better each week. Cheers!

Hi Julian. I agree with you, every single week I am seeing improvements. Being very young, I think we are prone to quicker recoveries too, form what the doctors have told me.

It's pretty rare to see people our age (20's), getting these types of surgeries. I know of one other person, and he had his when he was 21. I look forward to seeing how different I am in the upcoming months. No longer being short of breath would be a great thing, and help me out at the gym.

Also, are you on Coumadin Julian?

I sure am on coumadin. As far as I know I'm going to be on some type of anti coagulant for life unless there is some kind of amazing breakthrough medication in the years to come. So far it's not too bad, I'm going in for another INR check tomorrow.

I sure am on coumadin. As far as I know I'm going to be on some type of anti coagulant for life unless there is some kind of amazing breakthrough medication in the years to come. So far it's not too bad, I'm going in for another INR check tomorrow.

I wish there was an easier way for our bodies to accept mechanical valves. I will forever be on coumadin too. Hopefully another drug comes out in the future that doesn't carry the nasty side effects of coumadin, but needing anticoagulation for our bodies, that in it's own is a bad side effect. Just have to be careful. You and I are around the same age, and around the same surgery time, so looks like we have similar futures coming up.

I wish there was an easier way for our bodies to accept mechanical valves. I will forever be on coumadin too. Hopefully another drug comes out in the future that doesn't carry the nasty side effects of coumadin, but needing anticoagulation for our bodies, that in it's own is a bad side effect. Just have to be careful. You and I are around the same age, and around the same surgery time, so looks like we have similar futures coming up.

What brand of mechanical valve did you get? I got an On-X valve with aortic graft.

Ya hopefully our futures are full of joy and good health for a long time!

On a side note since we had such bad luck with our hearts maybe we will have better odds at winning the lottery. You can't win if you don't play. ; )

What brand of mechanical valve did you get? I got an On-X valve with aortic graft.

Ya hopefully our futures are full of joy and good health for a long time!

On a side note since we had such bad luck with our hearts maybe we will have better odds at winning the lottery. You can't win if you don't play. ; )

true on the lottery. I have no idea what kind of valve I have. I'll ask next time I go.

Hey Youngsters (abecal98 and Julian), Life did throw you a curve ball at such a young age - the rest of us here are much older-but you seem to have handled it very well. Personally, going through a crisis such as this, has made me better appreciate the smaller and finer things in life. You now have the opportunity to do the same at a much younger age. IMO, that is an advantage you have over the rest of your peer group. I think you both will do fabulously the rest of your lives.

Hi abecall98. This IS the best, most informative support site I have found on the internet....although we often have strong personal feelings about this "heart valve stuff". Living with a valve is only as hard as you make it. It will not interfere with your life, diet, or activity....so long as you use normal common sense. After many years on warfarin(Coumadin), my only bad experience was self-inflicted...a stroke, at age 38, after I knowingly, while on a short vacation, went off warfarin for a several days. You will have to excuse me....I get on a "soap box" about the need to "take warfarin as prescribed, and test routinely". Stick around...your experience, strength and hope will help the other "newbies" to accept that a valve replacement is only a "bump in the road".

Incidently, unless there is a special need:confused2: to be on Coumadin....encourage your doc to switch to the generic warfarin. It is a lot cheaper and will work as well as Coumadin for most people.

Last edited:
Hi everybody. I recently stumbled across this site, sounds like a great place for all of us to get through what we have all together.

Anyways, I was born with a bicuspid aortic valve, and had aortic stenosis. Now, at age 24, I had my surgery, on 8-5-11. I am about 4 weeks out now, and this week I have really started feeling better. I am still taking Percoset, but I should be off them soon.

Anyways, what advice do you guys have for a 24 year old post op? I have a mechanical valve, so I don't have to go back every 10 years, and yes, I am on Coumadin. I did suffer a fever about 2 weeks after my surgery, and went back to the hospital for 3 nights. It sucked. I also had some fluid build up, and my blood count was low. However, I just visited the cardiologist today, and my levels are up, and my fluid is going down. On top of feeling a lot better, it was great news.

This is a new adventure for me, and I look forward to discussing things with all of you. A community like this is exactly what I need. People that know how it is growing up being looked at as, "different" because I wasn't allowed to play sports when I was younger, because I was the kid with the "heart problem". I feel more normal now, and I hope to hit the gym after another few months, and see how my energetic potential is.

Hi Abe. My son Justin is about your age (23) and he's the one that has had the heart surgeries, (but so far has no interest in any online heart stuff), but another group you might really like is the one at the Adult with CHD org. They have members of all ages, quite a few in their 20s-30s, but almost all of them had surgeries really young and so know what it is like growing up at a "Heart kid" and everything that can go along with it. Heres the main link http://www.achaheart.org/ to learn all about the org and all they do. They are very active in raising awareness for CHD, money for research, have national confernces every year (or 2?) as well as local events where you can meet other people. The forums are under Community http://www.achaheart.org/community.aspx
I'm sorry to hear you weren't allowed to play sports growing up, I know that can be tough for a kid. Luckily for Justin, his ped card worked with us alot to see if Justin could try different things growing up, that we were told when he was born and needed surgery right away he never would be able to do, so except for right before or after surgeries, he was able to play most sports, except football, so of course that was the one sport he REALLY wanted to play.

I'm glad to hear things are going well now, hopefully youwill soon feel much better than you have in a long time.

Last edited:
Hey Abe, you're almost ready to do cardio rehab if your surgery was 4 weeks ago.

If you haven't discussed it with your doctor yet, do so as soon as possible. It will be a wonderful way to get you back active in a controlled, safe environment.

It will help you get ready to "hit the gym" which is a good practice for a lifetime of better health.
You'll find many of us are very active.

But make haste slowly - don't over do things now that you are feeling better. Conditioning takes time, and if you've not been real active growing up, it may take you some time to find something you enjoy, and get in shape to do it.

Hi and welcome!
I've got a 25 year old son with a BAV and a 2 1/2 year old grandson with a BAV. I had my BAV replaced 6 years ago and was unaware that I had one until I was in my late 40's. Anyway, I've learned way more than I ever wanted to know about bicuspid aortic valves, and I'm sure you have too!
You sound like you're doing real well post op, so I have no advice other than to enjoy the new lease on life you've been given.:smile2:

Thanks for the kind words everybody. Such a positive place this site is. I had my rehab appointment this morning, but I slept through it, Doh! I have a hard time falling asleep, and I didn't fall asleep until 3am, and my appointment was at 8am. I hope to sleep on my side soon, because being on my back is keeping me up...

Hi fellow 20s valvers!

Are you both male? Did your docs suggest mechanical?

I did not know about my heart issues as a child and in a way i am glad as i played and did everything i could as hard as i could (but still wasnt ever the best and did need 'subbing' alot)

Anyways I am pre op and I am starting to believe enkaynj and others when they say we will 'better appreciate the smaller and finer things in life' on the other end but to me it does not feel like a 'curve ball' at all more like a semi final :) and I am super competitive just want to get in there and win this!

Hi Abe,
I had a similar growing-up experience at times with all the heart concerns around sports and perceptions. It sounds like you've got good care and now you're in touch with a number of people who've been down somewhat similar roads (and others who are relentlessly helpful and positive) so the future's looking bright. The next year will be a bit of adventure as you heal and settle in, but you'll be back at the gym soon enough (once your docs are OK with it).

Glad you found us. Looking forward to hearing about your great progress.

--Brad

Hi fellow 20s valvers!

Are you both male? Did your docs suggest mechanical?

I did not know about my heart issues as a child and in a way i am glad as i played and did everything i could as hard as i could (but still wasnt ever the best and did need 'subbing' alot)

Anyways I am pre op and I am starting to believe enkaynj and others when they say we will 'better appreciate the smaller and finer things in life' on the other end but to me it does not feel like a 'curve ball' at all more like a semi final :) and I am super competitive just want to get in there and win this!

Yes, I am male, and my doctor did recommend a mechanical valve. I don't think the coumadin will interfere with my lifestyle, so it was a good choice for me.

I have been recommended mechanical too because I am young (23)

How are you feeling now?

Anyways, what advice do you guys have for a 24 year old post op?

I really dont have any good advice for you cause I am pre op but if you have any advice for me about preparing for op I'd love some.

BEst of luck with recovery sounds like you are doing well

Back