New life, new normal, new career.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanoeBob

Hey!

Six months post op. Last year in March left my job to take care of my Mother who had a stroke. She's 92. blind, still in her own home, I'm living there. Not going back to the old job- horticulturalist - to much lifting heavy stuff plus dexterity is poor now with the rhumatoid arthritis flaring up big time. Recent diagnosis rhuematologist now added to the arsenal of doctors...sigh!

With the new life and normal, putting a new career together...another interesting odessy! Anyone else gone through this?

Currently working with agency on career development finding new interests and the route to get to that end. It's a good start, but Man, are the frustrations building on "I can't do what I used to do" mindset.

Bob

This sounds like a good opportunity to apply my Dad's old "For the same price. . ." positivity. I changed careers sharply 30-odd years ago -- partly burn-out at the old job, and also just enough of a "push" or "nudge" to get me off my duff to DO something. Afterwards, when I'd meet with my former colleagues, fully HALF of them would ask me if I could give them any tips -- or even teach a course! -- on how to escape!

You didn't create the change, but it might turn out to be a rare opportunity, and a great move in hindsight. Make it so! And (as my Dad knew) it doesn't actually take any more effort to visualize it as an opportunity than as a burden. . .

Bob - I did the career-change thing some years ago. I went from a corporate executive position to management consulting. I figured that I may as well sell what I knew I could do. That profession turned out not to be the best for my life style, but in doing that consulting I was able to meet other prospective employers in a situation where they could "try it before they buy it." My current position, where I've worked for the past 12 years, is with a former consulting client.

Two lessons learned:
1. It is OK to make a major career change in your middle years.
2. Sometimes the change doesn't work out as well as you had hoped, but you gain other benefits that make it worth it.

I wouldn't "undo" my present career path (I guess this would be my third one) if you paid me to do it. Through my circuitous path I arrived at the right type of work in the right type of company for me.

I say, if you have other interests and abilities, Go For It!

Bob, things usually end up working out better than ever !
About 5 months after my surgery my husband got laid off from his airline management job We were very
concerned since he was still many years away from retirement, but we had a nest egg. So, he took a lower level
local job and things "clicked" ....after 5 years there he is happy, and out of the Montreal rat race.
Hopefully you will also find your new niche in life and don't be afraid to try something different and
"out of the box".

Latest posts

Back