Need INR advise myself!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terodac

Today my INR was 4.2, I take 10mg a day. my range is 2.5-3.5. My chart says hold one dose then cut by 10%, I really do not like holding doses, so I thought maybe take 5mg tonight and 5 tomorrow night. Does this sound good or what would you do?? Thanks :) always something!!

I would NOT skip a dose. I would do like you said, 1/2 dose tonight & resume your usual & re-check in a week.

Like Bina said, 4.2 is not a big deal.

Good luck!:)

Thanks Ladies, The only thing I have done new is I started back on my crestor but that is 5mg every other day, I have now cut it down to 2.5 mg every other day.

I would just retest in 4 or 5 days. My new cardio told me not to sweat anything up to 5. And I really don't. 10 is a pretty big dose. (I used to take 10/day for years before a new med jacked up my INR now I'm at about 6/day.) A held dose would drop me like a rock.

If you are afraid it will go up more, do a 5% reduction and test in 4 or 5 days.

When I was on 10 a day, I found that minor adjustments really had a greater affect on my INR than people on smaller doses.

I would test again in a few days and, if still above 4, you could consider a small adjustment in your weekly dose. I do agree with the others not to skip anything for a 4.2. I am often in that area since my range is 3-4 and have no issues. In fact, a few weeks ago I was at 5.7 and no problems. A slight adjustment and all is well.

I have learned not to get upset over much of anything anymore! LOL! 4.2 is the highest it has ever been, I think it is the crestor. I don't like to get on a roller coaster ride with my levels. Never skip doses. So I think I will just take 5mg tonight and start back at 7.5 and recheck it in a few days. I think after three years I am taking to much with 10mg a day, I am thinking to start working with changing it very slightly. Thanks Again!

I do believe that Crestor has interaction with warfarin and you absolutely do NOT want to be on a roller coaster ride (been there done that at 4.2)
Your thinking correctly on taking 5mg tonight then 7.5. Could you stay on 7.5 until you retest?
In any case, your one smart cookie.

Give it 5 to 7 days and test again. If it's still above 4, then reduce the dose for the week by 10%.

I do believe that Crestor has interaction with warfarin and you absolutely do NOT want to be on a roller coaster ride (been there done that at 4.2)
Your thinking correctly on taking 5mg tonight then 7.5. Could you stay on 7.5 until you retest?
In any case, your one smart cookie.

Sorry Freddie, but that's why you end up on roller coaster rides....Over adjusting for an INR of 4.2 :):)

I ended up take 5mg yesterday and the night before had a few green things. I will check tomorrow to see what is up. Taking regular dose of 10mg tonight. I am just thinking at least one night a week or two to only take 7.5mg the other nights stick with my 10mg. I know it is the crestor.

Hi Terodac,

What I find interesting is that you think your INR may have went up when you went back on Crestor.

I have always been able to manage my INR quite steadily.. But... 2 weeks ago I started taking a Statin. When I checked my INR it too went up... to 4.1 (Normal range is 2.5 to 3.5)

As we all know, each person reacts differently to the swings of Coumadin. In my case, I can skip a night, and then take a 1/2 dose the next night prior to going back to my normal dose. This usually will drop me to about 2.3 or 2.4. I have been tracking my INR since 2001, and this is very typical in my case.

I am now monitoring my INR closely, having started this new drug, until I find out what the effect really is for me. I have avoided trying Statins for years, and have used an alternate medication, but with other health issues going on with me these days, my cardio doc feels the benefits of Statins far outweigh the possible side effects... That is... if I am one of those that really do have bad side effects from the Statins. So far so good though.

Hope your INR levels back out for you soon..

Rob

Latest posts

Back