my other son has swine flu

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briansmom

My 16 year old was at his dad's for the weekend and walked in this morning saying he was sick. I called Brian's nurse practitioner and she told me to get Shane to urgent care. Doc said, Yep, he has swine flu. They put both Brian and Shane on Tamiflu.

Did I mention that Brian and I are leaving for CC on Nov 9th? :eek: Did I mention that I was on my way to Vegas for the SEMA show right when Shane told me he was sick? I have now cancelled at the last minute going to our two biggest shows of the year. My poor husband will really be scrambling this afternoon to get our new products into the new product show case and get our vehicle and booth all set up.

I am REALLY scared that Brian will get this. I have disinfected the whole house and made poor Shane move into the motorhome. I am wearing a mask and gloves each time I go out to the motorhome to bring Shane anything. Lots of hand washing, etc. Any other suggestions??

I am so sorry to read of what you are going through now! I did a google search on the site www.earthclinic.com on H1N1 and came up with a lot of material to wade through. A lot of folks think lysine helps but one of the most interesting paragraphs was:

Nearly 90% of the flu is caught by the hand. Using hands to eat food or fingers in mouth, eyes and nose is the easiest way to get the flu. A flu virus can last 1 hours on the hand and on hard dry surfaces about 2 hours. The method of disinfection I used is a 1% hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, or both mixtures together, which is called peracetic acid. In China during the SARS outbreak, the Chinese stopped the epidemic with vinegar. In fact it was so popular that the vinegar prices for one bottle went as high as $100 per bottle. It therefore makes sense to wash your hands before eating and avoid touching mouth, eyes and ears. It helps to carry a weak 1% H2O2 with you or at least a bottle of vinegar, although the smell isn't so good with the vinegar. Clove oil is another one that kills the flu too and can be used as antiseptic as it is also a good antiviral, although the smell of clove can also be strong too.

I do know that whenever I have a cold sore (virus) and use L-lysine it goes away quickly.

I'm sure you feel desperate right now. It has been too hard to get Brian an appt. at the CC for the swine flu to throw a monkey wrench in your plans!!

We'll be praying .......

What a year you're having ? I really feel for you and wish you and your family all the best in getting through this latest hurdle. Sounds like you're doing all you can for now though.

Oh Deanne, I am so sorry to hear this was just added to your already overflowing plate. I don't have any helpful advice, I'm not sure when you are most contagious with the Swine flu. BUT since Brian is taking tamiflu keep and eye on his INR, I've read a few articles about INRs getting high with Tamiflu, I think it was the UK that was warning about it.

Oh, no! Sometimes life just isn't fair. I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope Shane recovers quickly and that Brian doesn't get it... or anyone else in your family. You deserve a break.

Flu

Flu

H1N1 has ran it's course through my school and none of my students are too much worse for wear. The virus pretty much ran its course in most cases in 72 hours. Most of my students didn't even take any of the over-the-counter stuff like Tamiflu when they got it. I got it and did okay.

We seem to be done with H1N1 and have started on a round of stomach flu which has been more uncomfortable for the kids who get it than H1N1 was.

Yeah, H1N1 is nasty and can pose risks for some folks, but then again most flu viruses are nasty and pose risks. That's why we try to keep those who get the viruses comfortable and monitor them until the viruses pass.

There's so much hype surrounding H1N1 that it was difficult to keep up with all of the changes that public health agencies issued regarding how to deal with cleaning. The problem with flu viruses is that the protein sheath that surrounds them makes them imune to most cleaning products. most cleaning products simply move the viruses around.

Last week, a couple of state health inspectors dropped by to inspect my school. Interestingly, at one point, they began informing me about what we should be doing to clean in order to eliminate the H1N1 virus. The instructions they were giving me had been announced as ineffective by the CDC and local public health agencies two months earlier.

-Philip

I don't recall specifically where I read it Deanne, but I recently read on some flu health news article that the old standby of gargling with warm salt water can really work in keeping various virus bugs away.

Meanwhile, you and yours have my best wishes :) .

H,
Really sorry to hear your news, you really have had a hard year, it sounds as though you are doing all you can to stop the spread.
My thoughts and prays are with you all.
Take Care
Janei

hi Deanne,

I'm so sorry for you and your family, you've been through alot! I believe you are doing everything humanly possible, not to spread this virus. From what I am understanding, it is in a milder form this fall. I know it's hard, but please try not to stress yourself out too badly! That, in itself can make you ill.

I don't recall specifically where I read it Deanne, but I recently read on some flu health news article that the old standby of gargling with warm salt water can really work in keeping various virus bugs away.

Meanwhile, you and yours have my best wishes :) .

I have heard along with gargling with warm salt water, to drink hot fluids, such as coffee, tea whatever is hot. They are saying this helps too. What I find a little confusing is they are not testing people anymore. They are just saying, yes, you have H1N1, if you are symptomatic of H1N1. I may be way off.........but I wonder how many people have been misdiagnosed?

Yes, I believe that's what tex was saying. In the UK they diognose over the phone. I believe they are doing the same here in the US. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but I believe at this point they are OVER-hyping it, and mis-diognosing. I'm remaining calm, at this point though.

Is Brian wearing a mask? Alot of people will say don't bother to wear a mask, but I have often thought that wearing a mask around the nose and mouth will prevent a person from actually touching their face, serve as a reminder so-to-speak. I work in the OR, and when my mask is on--I am highly aware it is there. My kids constantly are reaching up to their face without even know it. H1n1 went through the schools here 2 weeks ago and my 13 daughter was in the first batch that came down with it, and she is still coughing, and spiked another round of fevers this weekend, although I think it is a 2nd virus this time as I got the same day. Lots of hype around this bug, but man this is a bad bug. I have never seen anything hit her this hard. My 18 year old son came down with it the day after my daughter did, but was only sick for 3 days.

A friend of mine has a daughter with a chronic respiratory illness, and she has been having her gargle with salt water and swab the nose with a saline q-tip, as well as use Zicam with every onset of symptoms (was told to do this by the Children's Hospital) and she has done this a few times, and her daughter has been free of the flu so far!

Good luck!

I have heard along with gargling with warm salt water, to drink hot fluids, such as coffee, tea whatever is hot. They are saying this helps too. What I find a little confusing is they are not testing people anymore. They are just saying, yes, you have H1N1, if you are symptomatic of H1N1. I may be way off.........but I wonder how many people have been misdiagnosed?

According to the CDC report that I heard if you have the classic flu symptoms it's almost guaranteed to be H1N1 since the other varieties haven't really begun yet. There was a point not all that long ago when they were testing everyone, and virtually 100% were H1N1 so I think that's pretty much why they stopped most of the testing.

That said, though, my granddaughter started to come down with something a couple of weeks ago and before any real symptoms got going the pediatrician tested her. She's 18 mos. old & was very premature so they didn't want to take any chances. No flu, nor did she develop flu symptoms.

They tested Shane for Influenza and he tested positive. Since he had already gotten his regular flu shot they said that meant that it was swine flu. He has been pretty miserable, but he is still eating so I figure that is a good sign. The doc told me just to watch for worsening respiratory problems. If he doesn't get that then he is home free. He is out in the motorhome with his XBox, WiFi and DVD player. He sends me a text on the phone whenever he needs something.

Brian and I got our swine flu vaccination today. We just got the vaccine in San Diego last week and the only place they have the vaccine is at the county health departments - none at any doctors or hospitals. I actually sent the kids down to get theirs last week but the wait was 1 1/2 hours so they left. Brian and I went this morning (when kids were in school) and we didn't have to wait long. They went ahead and gave me one because of Brian and the fact that we were traveling next week.

I really wouldn't be worried about the flu if Brian was healthy and we weren't about to go to CC.

Thanks for all your prayers and support.

They tested Shane for Influenza and he tested positive.
Thanks for all your prayers and support.

I was always told that the flu shot will not totally prevent you on getting the flu, it just lessons the symptoms/severity.

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm venting. I've been listening closely around here and heart patients are STILL not on the priority list for either shot. grrrr

Of course you have my prayers and special (((hugs)))

Glad to hear you and Brian got the vaccination. Hope you both are able to stay well.

Part of the reason they are not testing everyone is that the flu test is not 100% accurate. There is actually a moderate % of false negative results. And there are 2 strains of flu, A and B. If you test positive for flu A we assume it is the H1N1 virus, but it actuality it could by just a regular flu virus. So truthfully if we test you and you are positive for the flu A we are still only assuming it is H1N1 virus. (unless we send it to the CDC for H1N1 specific testing). I have worked the past 4 days and only tested about 4 of my patients, all of which tested negative, everyone else we just treat the symptoms, and assume you have the flu. Also we have noticed a decrease in the number of patients presenting with symptoms in the past week. Maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel...

I received both the regular and the H1N1 vaccinations since I work in an ER, and thankfully so, since I am scheduled for my surgery on the 20th. Just hoping I stay well until then.

Kerri

Latest posts

Back