Mitral valve replacement (probably) this Friday...Hospital in two days!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offwego

Well, in a couple of days, I will have my Mitral Valve replaced or (unlikely) repaired again this Friday at NYU.

I've been exhausted and mostly inside my apartment in NYC the last few weeks! I had a terrible case of Bronchitis but even after it went away I was just totally exhausted...After a trip to the cardiologist he immediately knew it was time for my second surgery after looking at the EKG results.

Things moved very fast and I am scheduled for surgery with the last cardiologist (Dr. Colvin) parter, Dr Aubrey Galloway.

We discussed if a second minimally invasive surgery was possible but he felt a traditional approach was better. He said it was an unlikely repair but he would if he could. We both agree a tissue valve makes best sense for me.

I'm comfortable but unbelievably tired..I sleep and sleep and sleep and am never refreshed..I get mad and feel I am a weakling and that other people would be going to work and not laying around so much like me.

SUre if I want I can go out and probably walk as long as I like (with breaks) but I just feel like crap and wanna stay home.

Can't wait to be home and starting the road to recovery.

I can relate to how you are feeling. I was exausted all the time before my AVR also, and I felt like I was being a wimp. I'm here to tell you you're NOT. Your heart is your engine and it needs a valve job. If you were a car needed a valve job it'd be pretty gutless too. I am looking foreward to hearing from you post surgery about how much better you feel. Give yourself time to prepare for surgery, conserve some energy for your recovery.
I'll be thinking of you on Friday and untill we hear from you in the post-op threads.:thumbup:

Don't feel too bad. The summer before my surgery I spent at home in the house with the a/c on being exhausted and
miserable. The symptoms can be so draining.
But, I've put you on the VR calendar and now it's official. You will be fixed up on Friday. Best wishes !

Thank you Bina!

I'm a little nervous about the cath test...on Thursday..I managed not to get one the first time around...the doctor won this debate this time....i just hope they give me good drugs! I also hope they admit me first and wheel me around getting tests...lol...i just want to be out of it!

well going to sleep soon i hope..it's 2am...I get to NYU for cath test and will be admitted at the same time....next posts will probably be tomorrow from the hospital...deep breath....

first post from hospital...gonna be hours to wait for cath test...but i managed to get them to give me a room while i wait...starved....they allowed me an ice chip to feast on...

Update...Did the cath test and got sick...I threw up and barely remember it...They told me they found a clogged artery and I might need a bypass as well...I don't have any information on what that means and of course am upset at this finding..

hope to see a doctor soon to explain this to me....: <

Sorry to hear you got sick, Justin sometimes gets sick from anesthia, so I feel for you. Sorry to here about the possible CABG, but glad they did the cath and found it and can take care of it IF they have to during surgery now instead of finding it after.

Update...Did the cath test and got sick...I threw up and barely remember it...They told me they found a clogged artery and I might need a bypass as well...I don't have any information on what that means and of course am upset at this finding..

hope to see a doctor soon to explain this to me....: <

In a way it's good that they picked up on the clogged artery. Think of all the people who need this but don't know about it until it's too late. Its clear that the most effective heart surgery is surgery before any damage to the heart has been done. Something extra to think about which isnt great as valve replacement is hard enoug to deal with.

Hope it all goes well for you. I have my surgery on Monday and can't wait to feel better again. I'm not sure if my tiredness and mood is down to my condition or the fact that I'm not sleeping and worrying about the op. The whole thought process of ohs is so drainimg!

Thanks for the posts...i know it's good they picked it up but of course it's also upsetting to think my body is not working right...my room mate coughs non stop...i tried to change room but they can't and no private rooms either.

I introduced myself to him and he appears to have full blown aids..It was absolutely shocking...the poor guy...but i am just reeling from the day...i threw up a few times during the cath...then my blood pressure dropped to about 50/30 and it was a bit of a drama...they would not let me out of my bed and pumped fluids into me and then i could not urinate..

SO i was faint, scared and miserable not being able to urinate...

Then they move me and i am told casually that i have a clogged artery. Then they finally put in in the god awful depressing room with someone who is in much worse shape than me...of course I feel terribly for this guy..but it's really all adding up and making me very unhappy and anxious.

i wanna go home...wah wah...

Don't feel bad at all. After my cath a few hours later I was also very dizzy and faint, had to lie down again,
couldn't urinate either, so that got me an overnight stay....in a room with 3 smelly men. LOL ;)
Tomorrow will be a better day, chin up.

Don't feel bad at all. After my cath a few hours later I was also very dizzy and faint, had to lie down again,
couldn't urinate either, so that got me an overnight stay....in a room with 3 smelly men. LOL ;)
Tomorrow will be a better day, chin up.

really?? It was a terrible terrible day..I've never seen my bp that low, I was white as a ghost, sweating and almost yakked again...then some doctor comes in practically telling me that i am having bypass surgery!!! It's was like torture...and they kept pumping up fluids and meds to increase bp and would not let me go to the bathroom...i was very close and I mean v e r y close to disconnecting the bp monitor and just walking to the bathroom. Luckily they decided to let me go or it would have been more drama.

Dr. Galloway (surgeon) just came to see me, How do these guys work so many hours? he has to operate on me at 6am!!!

He came in, said he got test results, all the valves look fine...I actually don't think he even mentioned the blockage!!!

I asked him about it and he said, yes there seems to be a small artery that is in the back of my heart that is clogged and he will fix it.

that was all he said..

I asked him if it will be a problem in the future and he said maybe i will take cholesterol reducing medications.

I said to him I didn't want to waste his time with more stupid questions...and fix the darn valve if you can and please do a nice job sewing me up..lolol.

We are now at Decon 1 reduced from Defcon 5..Purple alert..

uy yuy yuy

thanks for the posts everyone...this is D day countdown and it really helped to read comments!

Latest posts

Back