medical bracelets and home testing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgammo

Hello friends,

I was soliciting some advice from you all. What kind of medical bracelets do you recommend? For coumadin. And what kind of INR home testing device should I get? Any website links to reasonably priced deals?

Thanks all!

Hi pgammo. I have a CoaguChek home tester. I really like it. I have uhc and they were charged I think 2400 for it. I have seen them for a lot less on amazon and ebay new. I paid about 350.00 after my deductable. The problem is with the test strips. I am still trying to figure it all out. It seems like the price of the strips somehow has the monitering included? They are very expensive thru edgepark and they only sell in a quantity of 6. So I just bought 48 strips from amazon for 204.00. So I can test every week. I still have to buy the strips thru edgepark also and the nurse was very clear that she did not want me to test unless I was told to. I am ignoring that rediculous request. My inr has been very unstable so far. I don't drink much but it would be nice to have a beer every now and then or eat something different without worring for a month that I am way out of range. So I use edgepark strips once a month to do the official test and my own strips to check the rest of the time.
I don't have a bracelet yet. I am interested in what others say about that. I have also heard about a sticker for your windshield of your car in case you get in an accident. Right now all I have is the labels from my older scrips in my wallet where you can put pictures. I figure someone will check my wallet.

As far as bracelets, I have Medic Alert which I have been happy with so far. They have a decent amount of bracelets, chains and some watches to choose from. They provide a wallet card, windshield sticker, can update information via the web, and a bunch of other stuff. Check out www.medicalert.org if interested.

Hello friends,

I was soliciting some advice from you all. What kind of medical bracelets do you recommend? For coumadin. And what kind of INR home testing device should I get? Any website links to reasonably priced deals?

Thanks all!

Tere are quite a few good threads here if you search medicalert tat people talk about what they like to have and why here is one, http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...celet-necklace-etc/page2&highlight=medicalert

I cant help with the INR machine but know if you check the 2 anticoagulant forums here there is alot of info on the machines and how to go about getting one

Hi Peter,
My bracelet is from Medic Alert, have been with them for 6 years.
The back of my bracelet reads:

Mechanical Aortic Valve
Anticoagulated
Arrhythmia

Wallet cards are also given but can be easily lost in case of an accident.

My home monitor for INR is the Coaguchek XS which in Canada costs $500 and 24 test strips are $200.
Well worth it.

I, too, use Medic-Alert, but I wear one of their "dog tags." I don't generally wear jewelry other than a watch and wedding band, so I felt that a bracelet or wrist band wasn't for me. I'm not big on fancy pendants, either, so I bought their simple military-style stainless steel tag.

Latest posts

Back