Medic-alert jewelry?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tell-Tale Heart

I was thinking about getting a medic-alert bracelet in case of emergency. I have an On-X aortic valve, so I take warfarin. I'm also allergic to penicillin. I think this is important information for first responders to know. Do people still wear these? Bracelet or necklace? Is there a format for what it should say?

I wear one and I have a very similar situation to you - On-X valve, allergic to penicillin, warfarin obviously, etc. I used American Medical ID and they were great. Lots of choices and shipped/delivered when they said.

I have a Medic-Alert pendant (and also a dog tag). I prefer the "around the neck" style over a bracelet because the only jewelry I wear is my watch and wedding ring. I don't need to advertise to all who see me, only to first responders if I am down.

If you are not sure what to engrave on your tag or bracelet, call the vendor. I know Medic-Alert will help you with advice about what is most important to have readily visible, versus what first responders can get if they call in to the help center. (BTW You did know that Medic-Alert engraves a member number and an 800 phone number on your tag, so that first responders or docs can call the Medic-Alert help desk and get more complete information, didn't you?)

A medical ID bracelet is on me 24/7 because I just know the time I forget to wear it is the time I need it. I mainly advertise COUMADIN, but since there is room for more, I added MECH AVR and on one with even more room, I added my wifes phone number (or she did when she ordered it).

Stay well
Scott

Thanks for the replies - everyone is always so helpful here. I will also look up the previous thread. It's good to know they are still used and emp's still look for them.

I have a nice titanium stretch bracelet from medic alert. On the back of the bracelet it has the following;
"AORTIC VALVE REPLACED.
TAKES WARFARIN."
There's also a phone number for the paramedics to call to obtain my medical info.

I also have a sport type bracelet for when I'm working out in the yard.

Not sure if it's absolutely necessary...I had my AVR in June, and a couple of weeks ago was hit by a car while riding my bike...the ambulance crew caught right on when they say the scar on my chest! I also gave the X-ray tech a laugh when he saw the "bow ties" across my sternum!

Necklace for me, I've worn on for years due to penicillin allergy.

My new one reads:

ALLERGIC TO PENICILLIN

MEDS: WARFARIN

MECHANICAL AORTIC VALVE

jhc1 - I think I would rather err on the side of certainty. What happens if you are unconscious when found? They only know then that you had some sort of heart procedure, but they wouldn't know anything about which one you had, meds, allergies, etc.

In this case, better safe than sorry for me.

jhc1 - I think I would rather err on the side of certainty. What happens if you are unconscious when found? They only know then that you had some sort of heart procedure, but they wouldn't know anything about which one you had, meds, allergies, etc.

In this case, better safe than sorry for me.

I agree - I'm only on baby aspirin - but I still want the first responders to know the exact reasons for my scar....I wear a RoadID.

Latest posts

Back