Mechanical Valve Question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyinva

Anticipating AVR first week of October. I have decided on a mechanical valve and was wondering if those who have the mechanical valve are aware of it. Can you feel or hear the valve working? Are you happy with the mechanical valve? Thanks...

I have two and happy to have made this choice!

I hear the *soft* ticking only after a long tiring day. Yet, surprisingly, the sound is comforting and beautiful to listen to :) though I am the type who appreciates Total quietness when I want to sleep.

Welcome aboard and good luck :)

Welcome to VR, Guyinva!

In answer to your question, if you chose a mechanical valve, you will be aware of a soft, clicking sound. And, the sound your valve makes, may even be noticeable to others around you as well. But this is certainly nothing to be worried about. Your goal is to concentrate on getting your valve replaced so that you can go on living!

When are you scheduled for surgery?

Thanks, Don't have an exact date yet, but probably the first week of October. Supposed to find out this week.

Welcome aboard Guyinva, for me the first 6 weeks or so I could hear a faint 'tick' most of the time, mostly in bed if I laid a certain way. But really it was no worse than holding a Timex watch about 3 inches away from your ear - IMPH

Am I happy with it? Good question. I wouldn't be here if I didn't have it.

Tick... tick

Tick... tick

Body acoustics differ among individuals and often for individuals a click or tick is noticable and sometimes those same folks don't notice it all the time. Mine doesn't make noise loud enough for anyone else to hear it.

It's hard to predict what you will notice and how much you'll notice it.

-Philip

There is a wide variation in how patients hear (or don't hear) their mechanical valves. Body position and environment (bathrooms with tile walls vs. carpeted rooms with drapes, etc.) can create widely different levels from non-detectable to a 'soft thump'. Some (rare) people experience levels that are irritating or disturbing all of the time.

Body Acoustics play a major role. IF your heart has been pumping against a stenotic aortic valve for some time, it may have become enlarged as the muscle developed to pump blood through an ever decreasing opening. After surgery, those heart muscles can continue to 'pump hard' until they eventually remodel to the new valve with a lower pressure gradient, assuming your heart has not reached the permanent damage stage. Remodeling can take several months.

I couldn't help but notice your reference to "THE mechanical valve".

Actually there are 4 major Mechanical Valve Manufacturers commonly used in the USA.
These are ATS, Carbomedics, On-X, and St. Jude, ALL designed at least in part by Jack Bokros, Ph.D. who is credited with discovering Pyrolytic Carbon (for an application in the Nuclear Power Industry) which is the material used in the Leaflets of the modern Bi-Leaflet Mechanical Valve Designs. I wrote a post recently outlining the History of the modern BiLeaflet Mechanical Valves under the thread name of MECHANICAL VALVES - History of .........etc.

If you want to learn more about the differences in those valves, read through the Valve Selection Forum and check out the websites of the manufacturers. I confess, as an engineer, I am impressed by the technological advancements offered by the On-X Valves (see www.heartvalvechoice.com and www.onxvalves.com) The St. Jude Master's Series Valves have the longest track record for durability, going back to their introduction over 30 years ago.

'AL Capshaw'

I've sent this to several forum members, so I apologize that it doesn't speak to all of your questions, but I hope it helps.

Saw your post on comparing the different types of mechanical valves. I'm more of a lurker, but I wanted to add my personal experience and hope it helps. Trust me, I know how difficult it is to consider all of your options before surgery. I'm in the position where I can personally compare two mech valves.

I was born with Tetrology of Fallot and an absent pulmonary valve. At 14 (in 1988), they corrected the VSD and implanted a St. Jude mech valve in the pulmonic position. No real complications other than sometimes my coumadin going haywire (which happens to everyone...but I never had any strokes, heart attacks or hemorrhages.)

That valve lasted 20 years, but stopped working (partially because of the pulmonary stenosis that is a side effect from having ToF). If I hadn't have the congenital heart defect, the mech valve would have lasted a lot longer.

In Aug. 2009, I had my second OHS and they replaced the St. Jude valve with an On-X one. This valve sounds louder than the St. Jude, but it might be bc I am in quieter places (I'm a university teacher & in the library a lot) and just didn't hear the clicking as much when I was younger bc I was in noisier places...I don't think it really has to do with the valve brand.

My surgeon decided on the On-X valve bc - as he said - it is made of the best materials, so there's it's not shredding red blood cells as much and the way it's designed is superb. He also said that the materials were ultra-smooth, so there's less turbulance and the materials in the valve itself will last more than 100 years. He didn't mention why he wasn't using a St Jude valve, but I felt very confident in his choices.

I'm having some complications from the surgery (again, the congenital defect, not the valve). But they did an echo stress test on me two months ago and the valve is working absolutely perfectly. The doctor said that if a valve fails, it would happen in the first 2-3 months, but I've no problems with it as all.

It's tough for anyone when they are approaching OHS, so feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Much good luck on your choices and I'm keeping you in my thoughts.

I love my mechanical valve. It keeps me alive! I hear it sometimes - but I can usually alter my body position to lessen the sound. I work in an university and there have been times when students with good hearing notice it. I usually warn them that the ticking they hear is me, not the crocodile from Peter Pan.

I have a St Jude, and I can hear it in most places. The loudest place is in the bathroom. It is a little freaky at first, but after a while it is no big deal. I am fine with the tried and true, but if I had a choice I would have gone with the on-x.

As for my choice of valve type; I would not have it any other way. After a while it will be part of you and not give it much thought.

Can you feel or hear the valve working? Are you happy with the mechanical valve? Thanks...

Mine is an old valve type, "ball in cage", and the design and function of the valve is very different from the newer valves....and probably noisier. I am sure that, early after the surgery, I heard and felt the valve, but those feelings disappeared after a relatively short time as my body healed and my mind accepted the valve. I am happy with the valve since it has interfered only a little with my life AND I've only had to do the surgery once. Proper anti-coagulation therapy (warfarin) is a MUST, but it is not difficult, but does require a simple regimen. I wish you an uneventful surgery and easy recovery:thumbup:.

Hello! My name is Lee, I'm 43, live in the outskirts of London in the U.K. I had my surgery on 19 April this year (I had an ascending aortic anneurism that was dilated by 8.2cm so had a aortic root and valve replacement).

I have a st jude mechanical valve and I have no problems with it at all. Yes, you can hear it quite loudly at night when you return home but I wore ear plugs for the first few nights and you slowly get used to it, apart from that I have no problems at all. I returned to work on July 19 (exactly three months post surgery), my sternum has now healed, my CT's and Echo's have been fine and all is well, i'm a very lucky boy!.

The noise from the valve at night is a small price to pay for still being alive and i'm very happy with it, especially as it should (touch wood), last lifelong. I've even bought a Coaguchek XS and test my INR at home which is soooo much better than trapsing up to the hospital every week/couple of weeks etc. My surgeon at Kings College Hospital (Dr J Desai) and his team all did an amazing job and made my stay in high dependency as easy as it could be.

As long as your experience is as mine, i'm sure your valve will prove nothing more than brilliant as mine does make me feel happy and lucky to be alive after all that, the clicking is a small price to pay for me!.

I hardly ever hear mine ... sometimes when I get still and it is very quiet ... I am about 4.5 years post-op and very happy with my St Jude ... it really has become a non-issue...

Welcome Guyinva
I'm really happy with my St Jude, although at first i was quite freaked out! Coming home,and feeling very out of it for the first couple of weeks was made even worse by this constant ticking of what i thought was a new clock my husband had bought while i was in hospital.
As soon as i stopped with the strong meds and my head and body started to feel normal again my valve, just became part of the new me! And I wouldn't have it any other way! :)

Yes, I can hear it. It is actually louder than I anticipated. Even the surgeon remarked it was a loud one, perhaps because I got a larger than average size (27mm). But like others have said, because of all the variables it's awfully tough to predict how it will sound to any given patient. Assume you will hear it but I would try not to make a valve decision on this basis.

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I think the worse part of this whole process is the sitting around waiting and worrying about everything. One thing I see from all your posts is everyone is happy with their decisions. Thanks and God bless you all!

Hang in there my husband just had his surgery on sept 14th. He had a St Jude. He says it sounds like a timex watch in his ear. He had alot of pounding in his ear the 1st two days but that has settled down. I can hear it when he sits on the edge of the bed other wise I can't hear it when I lean over his chest. We feel blessed that there was a fix for his problem. He hopes to be back to running and exercising soon. Sending prayers that all with be fine with you.

Latest posts

Back