mechanical valve preferences?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

techguy

Greetings to one and all. I had seen a reference to this site and had to drop in. It seems that I am in need of a new mitral valve in the very near future and am wondering if anyone has thoughts, recommendations, etc. on preferred mechanical valves. My cardiologist has said that a mechanical one would be best for someone my age (almost 50). I appreciate any information as I am, at least for now, very new to this subject!

Go onto the st. jude and carbomecics websites, they have pictures of them. I also had my surgeon show me an example of the one to be installed in me and explain how it all works and its features. The reps that stop by their offices drop such silly things off to promote "their" product.
I do know that the st. jude vavles are the industry standard and they seem to have a more natural way of opening and closing as compared to the other ones around.

Joe Parker
AVR
Date: Jauary 21st, 2004 (coming soon)
Mt. Diablo Hospital, Concord Ca.
St. Jude (don't let me down) valve is my choice.

Hello again Techguy !

The standard St. Jude Mechanical Valve seems to be the industry 'Gold Standard'. It has been tested for Millions (Billions?) of operations which should last a lifetime and more in heart patients.

Some are noisier than others. I can only hear my St. Jude mechanical aortic valve when I take a deep breath and hold it or (rarely) when I develop a 'pounding' heart beat. It's been working just fine for 2 years and there are many here who have had them for decades without incident.

'AL'

Has anyone here received the SJM Regent® Valve (without the Silzone coating)? It seems to have all of the same qualities as their standard valve but with better hemodynamic performance.

I'm at that stage where I need to decide between a mechanical and tissue valve, and then which type. And this decision has to be made by a guy who spends 15 minutes trying to decide which kind of sald dressing he wants to buy at the grocery store.

:p

I don't know much, other than my St. Jude mechanical mitral valve is well-seated and working fine 12 years post-op.

I've done a lot of research on the web, and the St. Jude Medical seems to be the valve of preference. Their old Silzone valve caused some problems, but I haven't seen any criticism of their new valves. My surgeon said it was the only artificial valve he recommended.

The carbomedics web site has an interesting page where you can compare the way different valves sound. The St. Jude is one of the quieter ones.

I'm scheduled to get my aortic valve replaced with a St. Jude artificial on February 20, so you'll get one before me, Joe, and I will ask YOU questions! Good luck to you both.

Cambria is such a nice little town.
As soon as I am home and up to it I will post, post post.
Good luck with yours too !!!!!
Joe Parker

Hi techguy,

I'm still some "years" away from aortic valve replacement, but in a candid discussion with my cardiologist, he admitted that if he himself needed a replacement valve, he would choose the St. Jude's, without a moment's hesitation. At the present, that is good enough for me -- IF I choose mechanical when that time comes. In my case, a lot will depend upon my age when surgery is called for. Presently, at 56, I would probably go the mechanical to do my best to avoid re-op. If my native valve surprises us and keeps on for some years, a tissue valve may be a better choice.

Of the mechanicals, though, St. Jude is, as Al mentioned, the "Gold Standard" against which the others are measured.

Vote for St.Jude

Vote for St.Jude

I am happy with my St. Jude mitral 5 years running. Can't hear it any more. Its the only valve used at Inova Fairfax(2000 open hearts/yr). My surgeon wrote a book on valves some years ago. I was happy he continued to use the "old" St. Jude and never did stock any of the new Silzones.

mechanical valve

mechanical valve

I am 10 mos. post op from the replacement of my mitral valve. I have a St. Jude. I even called them and they sent a replica of the valve put in me. I now have a card which registers me. I am still new to the mechanical but I never did hear it in the hospital but do hear it now occasionally. Laying on my left side in bed or taking a bubble bath a sitting back and relaxing. Sounds pretty loud then. Really don't pay much attention to it now. I am happy as long as it keeps working. I was 55 when I had the surgery. Mine was supposed to be repaired but was in too bad of shape so they had to replace. I really would not want another surgery. Good luck on anyone you may choose,

Techguy:

I had already decided on a St. Jude mechanical before my surgeon said he'd go with one if a repair didn't work out.
I do hear it when I wake up and occasionally at other times, but it's pretty quiet. Is louder if I'm in the master bathroom or a room without furniture. Good thing I'm not a real estate agent, trying to sell vacant homes. :D

Presbyacusis?

Presbyacusis?

It just came to me. Maybe I can't hear my valve because of presbyacusis ( old age deafness). Oh well, its better than the alternative.

Marty

Marty

Presbyacusis...so..is that what my Hubby has?:D :D I thought it was Selective Hearing:p :p :p :p Bonnie

You might want to look into the On-X valve. It seems to have superior fluid dynamics, do less red-cell damage, and perform more quiently than many others. It has good specs, too.

I want a tissue valve, myself, but if I were to get a mechanical, this would be my choice.

http://www.mcritx.com Look for info on the On-X valve.

I have had my St. Jude mechanical for almost eight years and it's been great.
Mine has been very quiet and I only notice it when I lay on my chest at night.
I have gotten used to that over the years and it is definitely a GOOD sound.
I was 58 at that time and hope it will last my lifetime.

My St. Jude is pretty loud but my doctor told me the sound dimishes a bit over time. Remember however I am still in the healing stages so everything is sensitive, still healing and still remodeling.
For the most part I really don't pay attention to it accept its most noticeable at night. I suppose it because my kids are in bed and there is no longer any noise distractions.
The St. Jude is the gold standard in terms of reliability and lower risk of thromboembolotic events due to its design and construction.

Joe Parker
St. Jude Valve mechanical 27mm
01/21/2004
Mt. Diablo Hospital
Concord California

great thread

great thread

Well, it seems that after being here and there, I've finally found the right place to get my doubts cleared up. The majority have chosen the St Jude mechanical valve and I wonder if it's available here in Brazil. Since I've already had three MVRs with tissue valves whose duration has varied, I really do want the next one to be the last and definitive. I'm coming up for 39 next month and after eight years the valve I have just now has begun to show signs of deterioration which could go on for months or even years before I have to face the fourth surgery. if anyone wangts to read more about my history, you can see it under STORIES mitral valve here at valvereplacement. You can also see my home page on yahoo.

Wow, you most certainly aren't getting a whole lot of mileage out of those tissue valves. I understand that there are some Bovine valves that they expect to get at least 20 years of life out of them. However it is only a concept and those who have them have not had them 20 years.
The question is weather you are going to have children because in pregnancy there is a risk of developing blood clots as well of excessive bleeding events during labor, and the possibility of a c-section which would be even more risky for you and the baby.
If you still plan to have children or if there is a risk of it, then you should go with another tissue valve, however if there is no chance of having children then the mechanical valve would be highly recommended since that would be the "last" time you would have to undergo such a traumatic event.
I am 41 years old and my choice was based on the fact I would not want to go through it again.
You can check out my journal of my recover by going to
Post Surger then Joe Parker has a new valve.

I wish you well.
Joe Parker
AVR 01/21/2004
St. Jude Mechanical 27mm
Mt. Diablo Hospital
Concord, California

Prior to my surgery, I told my surgeon when the mechanical vs. tissue question came up; " I heard tissue valves now are lasting 10 to 12 years" He answered "True, but some come back at 2 to 3 years" I was 72 at the time and didn't want to take the chance of another operation. Having said this , I believe the tissue valves are better now. Warfarin can be a problem for many patients particularly if they need other types of surgery or medical treatments.

the best option

the best option

Hi Joe, it was nice to hear your opinion and since I am not going to be wanting any more children, I guess I'll end up going for the mechanical valve. I just have to discuss with my cardiologist what is available in Brazil and then decide it once and for all. Here though, you have to sign a document saying that if needed, the surgeon has the right to take last minute decisions so, if he detects a problem with the procedure, he can alter it. Thanks for helping, Débora

Latest posts

Back