mechanical valve preferences?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
calcification problems

calcification problems

Hi everybody, I'm back and with one very important question which I hope to get a answer to: Does any of you know if there is any way of slowing down the process of calcification on a tissue valve that's begun to thicken up a little? I've had it for eight years now and it's opening to 2.99cm2 but fortunately, there's not any signs of leakage yet and it's working fine. Also, any idea of how long it could still last before I need to get it replaced? I know there's not a precise answer to these questions however, I'd like to hear your opinion on the matter based on what you know or heard of. My general health condition is good and I don't have any other problems apart from my poor eyesight which has no conection with the heart at all.
. Thank you. Débora

I don't know of anything on the market that can help slow the calcium deposits on your valve which is why they are trying to improve the valve.
However, you could ask about lipid/cholesterol lowering agents. They may help, but it is unproven and there is no science behind it that I know of. It may give your Doc at least something to think about.

Good Luck
Joe Parker
AVR 01/21/2004
ST. Jude Mechanical
Mt. Diablo Hospital
Concord, California

Recent studies, funded by the company that produces Lipitor, show the use of this drug does slow the calcification process in a tissue AV and reduces plaque in arteries.

My cardiologist feels this effect would most likely be produced by most lipid/cholesterol reducing drugs.

I have read Magnesium taken in tablet form daily, might
retard calcification. Anybody have any info ?

Magnesium can reduce the the amount of circulating calcium but can be tricky. If you become toxic, you can actually stop breathing and develop circulatory collapse. Levels can be checked to monitor that however.
The other big complication with it is the potential for extreme muscle weakness to the poing that you are unable to hold yourself up when standing.
You are walking a double edged sword here. Calcium is an important elecrolyte to help with muscle contraction and to keep the bones strong.
Reduce clacium too much in long term use and then you have the other problem later in life of osteoporosis which is so common in women.
I think the risks short term and long term are too high to use magnesium.

Joe Parker
AVR 02/21/2004
St. Jude Mechanical
Mt. Diablo Hospital
Concord, California

First off: Ask your doctor or pharmacist before embarking on a chemical anticalcification program.

That said, here's my non-professional two cents...

I've been using magnesium supplements for years, and I've never heard of toxicity issues with them. Of course, anything in excess can cause issues. I take a 400 mg capsule every day.

I do recall in postings years ago, that several people with irregular heartbeats were helped off other medication by starting to take magnesium. However, one should check out what their individual circumstances were and how much they took. It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask youor doctor/pharmacist first. Anyone else remember those posts, or am I dating myself again?

I have also read the claim about cholesterol-lowering drugs slowing calcification. If your cholesterol is borderline anyway, maybe your doctor would agree. If not, ask your doctor about the use of Benecol or one of the other "nutraceutical" butter replacements. Or ask about Polycosinol or Pantethine, which are over-the-counter anti-cholesterol supplements.

Whatever you do, be aware that any supplements you take can affect any prescription medications you're taking.

What a memory Bob

What a memory Bob

Yep, I've been on the old magnesium soapbox since Feb of 2000 when I was prescribed 400mg daily by an electrophysiologist after landing in the ER with arrhythmia.

Beats the heck out of heavyduty drugs...

Where you been guy and how are you doing? Down in Tobago, huh?:D

Latest posts

Back