Mechanical Noise

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldManEmu

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I have a tissue valve so it is not an issue for me.
I was curious how our older folk like me 46 explain valve noise of mechanical valves to new partners. :confused:
I know most of our older middle aged members are long married so isn't an issue.

I am an older married guy, but I would like to take a shot at your question. I have a mechanical valve, and Barb-my wife of forty years, can sometimes hear it when we are close, and everything is quiet. It is my heart, and it is beating, and she loves the sound because she loves me, and it is part of me.

Please note I am not saying she learned to tolerate it. This is not some soft sound beneath the hood of your car. I have come to think that, if it were possible, I would love to hear the soft low sound of her heart when we are alone and it is quiet. In the night, I have often listened to the soft sounds of her breathing beside me and felt very blessed. So, I guess my answer is where there is love, there is no problem.

Ms. Thang and I have been together for almost 25 years, so one explanantion took care of the noise: I was an EKG demonstration in our Emergency Medical Technician class and explained things to the class. She can hear the double-clicks in her sleep, and can tell when the a-fib kicks up.

I did have a co-worker several years ago who is 20 years my junior, and asked me about the ticking noise. I simply told him it was my biological clock ticking away. That surpised him, but shut him up! Later in the shift one of the others explained to him what the deal was, and I think he learned a little more respect.

I was curious how our older folk like me 46 explain valve noise of mechanical valves to new partners. :confused:.
Just explain it as a built in metronome that speeds up and slows down as needed;)
I know most of our older middle aged members are married so isn't an issue.
Says you:D

Valve Noise

Valve Noise

Thanks Dennis, Chuck and Cooker for your responses, however all of you have been married for many years and your partners went through the whole VR saga with you. :eek:
If you had a new partner that hadn't been though it all with you, how would you and your partner deal with it and the continual valve noise ?
I am just curious as guy that isn't married however has been in a several long term relationships :)

I was curious how our older folk like me 46 explain valve noise of mechanical valves to new partners. :confused:
I know most of our older middle aged members are long married so isn't an issue.

Being part bionic, I simply explain the tick like a Timex watch. It opens and closes with the force of blood flow going threw the valve. If you hear it, it's a good thing.

I would just tell them that I had to have a valve replaced with a mechanical valve. And that is why I am alive. After all its the truth and that's always the best thing. I would also say that if you can hear the ticking that its a good thing because then we know its working.

I'm relatively new here...are you all saying that a mechanical valve makes a noise loud enough for someone to notice it???!!! - Dianne

Thanks Dennis, Chuck and Cooker for your responses, however all of you have been married for many years and your partners went through the whole VR saga with you. :eek:
If you had a new partner that hadn't been though it all with you, how would you and your partner deal with it and the continual valve noise ?
I am just curious as guy that isn't married however has been in a several long term relationships :)

I'd say, "everytime you hear that, it's time";)

Valve Noise

Valve Noise

Dianne yes the majority of people with mechanical valves can be heard when it is quite. :eek:
You do not know if you are in the silent group until after surgery, and you either tick or are silent. :eek:
Larger people are less likely to tick than smaller people.
I also believe that smaller valve sizes are more likely to tick than larger ones.
Has something to do with closing velocity of the leaflet.
The surgeon installs the largest possable valve size to maximise blood flow.

My ticking still fascinates my doctor, my GP not my cardiologist, he always has a listen when I have my three monthly general health check, he then comments about them sounding like a couple of Ingersol watches. :)

Once when I had to see a duty doctor when I was unwell one evening he thought my valves were tissue, he hadn't heard such quiet mechanical valves before.

MY GP commented today on how quiet my valve (SJM Master) was. She could not hear it when we sat and talked in the examining room.

Lying in bed together, my wife says she cannot hear it, and it really pounds at this point when I lie down, probably because I am still anemic from surgery. I expect my valve to get slower and quieter as my anemia corrects. Right now, it has never gone below 77, and 60 used to be my resting heart rate.

Even when it is pounding there is no click - it's an almost natural sounding "thump, thump".

as others have said, you should tell them the truth behind the noise.

but if it's someone that's just nosey, tell them:
you swallowed the dial of a timex on a dare as a kid and you wish those commercials "takes a lickin' keeps on tickin' " were wrong cuz the damn thing won't stop!

May sound very simplisitic....... But the truth is best.
Just tell the partner about your surgery in as much or little detail as you choose. If they run, well, just as well you find out sooner vs later that is not the person for you. I can't imagine they would. Why would they? :confused:

If they ask, they don't want to be brushed off. They want a truthful response IMO
It isn't anything to be ashamed about. Most would consider it a badge of courage.
Your life in no way is shortened by having a mechanical heart valve. Most with mechanical valves will probably die of who knows what long before their valve wears out.

Noise

Noise

In my younger days long before my AVR surgery, I was engaged to a nurse. One night she leaned over and put her head on my chest. Her head only rested there for a moment before she jumped up and demanded to know what was wrong with my heart. As I attempted to explain that I had a defective aortic valve, she was retreiving her stethoscope. I wouldn't say that my defective valve resulted in us parting company, but based upon the number of times she insisted in listening to my murmur, it clearly concerned her.

My wife doesn't mind hearing my valve click. Body acoustics vary from individual. Things have to be very quiet for her to hear the click. Even when she can hear it she she doesn't pay attention to it.

Others may have different experiences, but I think over time, sensitivity to valve noise tends to go away. If valve noise results in problems in a relationship, it's probably not worth chasing the relationship anyway.

-Philip

Latest posts

Back