mail in prescription

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psalmist

My insurance company called and has offered to do 90 day supply mail in refills. I would like to know if anyone would recommend doing this or discourage it. What are the pros and cons. I don't want to take a chance on a bad thing.

Thanks
Seth

If it's financially more beneficial, go for it. I would except I don't get any break in price for mail ordering, so screw um, I'll go down the street every 30 days.

Most people have no problems. I have heard of some getting late refills and procedural screw ups, but very very few.

It would save 5.00 a month. Not much of a saving. It would just be changing how I get it. If you do have problems with late deliveries or screws what does a person do? Oh, and thanks for the quick reply.

Find out if they have automatic refill service or if you actually have to phone in and order and if so, how soon would be the soonest you could do so. Some places make you wait until like 10 days before you run out.

As prescriptions are concerned, I would find out how soon after the initial prescription is let as to how soon you could order them again. I have found (IN OHIO) that if I received my prescription on the 21st that I could call them on the 18th for my next script. I have been doing this as much as I can, and have built up a nice backup supply.

I would say go for it, but be sure that they are reliable. See that they would notify you for any delays.

Take the five dollars & get a five, five dollar footlong. (Subway) or a pizza. :p

Seth:

I used to do mail-order for my warfarin. But when Wal-mart came out with 90 tabs for $10, I took my business there. I believe my co-pay for mail-order is $30 for 90 days of generics.
I have a flex account for reimbursement on medical items; this year it's $950, I think.

I've been using mail order medications for many years and so did Joe. You have to be much more organized to do it, and not let things go too long before refilling your prescription. Also some mail order pharmacies are good about shipping it out right away, and some are not, there could be a lag time involved.

They are also quite picky about the prescriptions, and it isn't like running over to the local drugstore to discuss something with the pharmacist.

For me, the savings is significant, especially for the costlier drugs.

Seth -

Are you taking Brand Name Coumadin
or Generic Warfarin?

FWIW, I used mail-in Rx service through my company for many years with NO problems.

OTOH, Many / Most Pharmacies now sell Generic Warfarin for either $4 or $5 for 30 day supplies and $10 for 90 day supplies, in ANY Dose.

BARR and TARO are Well Known and Reputable Manufacturers of Generic Warfarin (ASK your pharmacist who supplies their Generics!)

'AL Capshaw'

I mail order all my prescriptions with Medo. Have never had a problem never late more like quick to response to my order and my discount is a little higher then $5.00 a month. Don't forget the gas and time you have for going and getting it at the drug store. I find it to be a great way of saving money. I had more problems with walgreens then you could imagine.

I mail order all my prescriptions with Medo. Have never had a problem never late more like quick to response to my order and my discount is a little higher then $5.00 a month. Don't forget the gas and time you have for going and getting it at the drug store. I find it to be a great way of saving money. I had more problems with walgreens then you could imagine.

I usually schedule my Rx refill pickups with a shopping trip and gas fillup at Walmart two towns to the west. My town doesn't have a pharmacy.

I was incorrect in a previous post when I said my co-pay is $30. I just checked and it varies. 90 tablets of 5mg warfarin would be $20.75. 1mg tablets would be $18-$19 for 90 tablets.
That would be roughly $164 annually through insurance.
I get 1, 2 and 10s at Walmart. Usually just get it filled twice a year, for $60 and that lasts me more than a year, since I split the tablets.
I'll spend a little gasoline to save that $104.........

With my insurance co, any long term med has to be through the mail-in service. After 3 months of walk-in refills they jack up the price big-time.

I'm a happy Medco user and do my re-fills on line at their web site. I get a three month supply for $10 (no shipping charge) and typically get email correspondence when the prescription can be ordered. Just call me lazy but waiting in line at the pharmacy is a pain, I can always expect about 5 or more people in line in the area I live in.

What Karlynn said applies to us too.

What Karlynn said applies to us too.

We have been required to use a mail-in pharmacy for about 12 years. In that time, the pharmacy provider has changed three times. We have been very pleased with all three---Walgreens, Caremark, and now Medco.

As soon as we got registered at our new carrier, Medco, we could order refills by phone or by mail. We also registered with Medco online, so we can also order on line. You can also select automatic refills. If you need to talk to a representative, they are available 24 hours per day all 7 days of the week. When you get a new prescription, you can mail it yourself or can ask your doctor's office to phone it in.

Blanche

Meds

Meds

I did the mail order, 90 day supply thing for my meds until I discovered that it was lots cheaper to purchase from Walmart. Coumadin is really cheap through Walmart.

-Philip

For me, the savings is significant, especially for the costlier drugs.

*nods*

Same here.

I didn't think I'd like the mail order, but I really do like it now. In fact, I only started doing it a few years ago ... because my favorite pharmacy closed. They gave me a referral to a different "mom and pop" one, but I only use it now for prescriptions when I'm sick ... or my prescription for my dental visits.

Otherwise ... it is mail order....

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...Chitown #2 = 07/25/09
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"I see the way out and I'm gonna take it" ... Carrie Underwood ... 'Wasted'

I've been getting all my prescriptions thru mail order & I find it very convenient & also cheaper. The drug company also sends me a reminder via email when it's time to reorder so that I never run short of medications.

I don't have to hassle with long lines & they are delivered directly to my door! :)

Hi Seth... When I was on tikosyn and with my sons Abilify meds we do mail order... If i go to walgreens and get a one month supply of my son's meds it is 100 copay with my insurance. If I do mailorder I get a 3 month supply for $200. I have never had a problem.

Back