Low Blood Pressure

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penny

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I was wondering how many people suffer from low blood pressure? I spent some time in emerg again today. Had some a-fib going on this morning but it quit by the time I got to the hospital. They kept me there for awhile as my blood pressure was down to 97. After about 3 hrs I was feeling better other than the irregular beats here and there and so they sent me home. They upped my metoprolol but I am worried that it will lower my blood pressure even more... this is so frustrating...

Penny, My husband was being treated for congestive heart failure at the Cleveland Clinic and the doctor said she didn't worry about low blood pressure unless you had symptoms, lightheadedness, etc. The systolic would often be in the 80s, dyastolic in the 40s.

Mine dropped to 85 and it sure didn't make me feel very well. I also was sitting in my chair typing on my laptop when my hubby said are you ok.... I guess my head kinda bobbed forward and he said I was looking funny. I dont remember my head bobbing (I am thinking I blacked out) and found I was having difficulty typing so I went and elevated my feet as instructed by the doc... has anyone passed out from low blood pressure?

I've heard the same thing Penny, low BP isn't a concern unless it's REALLY low. But it would concern me too, like it is you. Keep asking questions like that of your docs (won't the increased metropolol bring my bp down even more, etc.)! All the ones I've run into love it when the patient shows interest, wanting to understand etc. None have gotten the slightest bit offended that I was trying to understand more, or even question what they were recommending. I'm sure there are exceptions, but that's been my experience so far anyway. So don't feel bad about asking questions until the cows come home - the way I see it, it's their job to answer them, and this was a pretty big deal you've been through, so you certainly have the right to ask! Also, try not to get frustrated. I know it's hard, but this part will be behind ya soon. Many of us have had issues (or at least some ups and downs) for the first few weeks, but it seems like after about a month or so, things are usually getting pretty normal. And hopefully you agree, even with the speedbumps, this side of the mountain is WAY better than the side you were on a few wks ago!

Thanks Andy, they did say that by increasing my metropolol that it may lower it more. Doc said it is because of what my heart is doing, it is creating my low blood pressure. So the increase of med should put my heart back into regular beats thus raising my blood pressure even though the meds may lower it.. does that make sense? This morning all is good so far, no critters jumping around in my chest and my blood pressure is 106/71. Let's hope it stays this way. :)

See, you're already getting better ;) That's pretty much what happened to me too. Had some bad days, then a couple good days, then another bad day, etc. But pretty soon, the good days were out-numbering the bad. I bet you'll find the same thing! Hope you have one of those good days today!

YES, arrhythmias often mean that the chambers of the heart are not firing with the proper / optimum timing which can definitely lower Blood Pressure so I would expect that elimination of the arrhythmias would raise your BP back to more normal levels.

'AL Capshaw'

saw your post, so I took my bp right now was 107/70 I frequently get readings like 97/70 and my doctor said my meds are intended to keep my bp rather low -- to protect the heart device, as I understand it. Don't know if that's your case or not; just thought I'd mention it. Of course if bp falls so low it causes dizzyness or light-headedness, that's something else. When in doubt, check it out (with the doc)....

My BP was very low for the first 5 to 6 weeks after surgery (85/55). As I healed and started cardiac rehab it got much better (115/75). It seems like as my heart rate slowed my BP went up. I feel much better this way.

My heart rate has been on average 90/60 before and after surgery. But now that I'm on Sotalol when completely relaxed it goes down to 90/45. It's scary but that's how it was in the hospital, the doctors and nurses told me not to be concerned. But I feel like I have no energy. My normally high heart rate also dropped drastically 100 bpm to 60 bpm. It feels like I'm going in slow motion now. I can't wait to get off all of these pills especially the Sotalol.

Latest posts

Back