Loud Heart Valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terodac

I have a St. Jude's aortic heart valve two years now, sometimes it is loud and other times I just don't notice it at all (took me months) do any of you have this happen to you? And do you know what would cause it to act up like that? I was thinking INR, but I just don't think that is what it is? Thanks :)

I have Aortic and mitral valves replaced w/St. jude mechanical valves on September 2nd. Only now I started to hear my heart beats and only during sleeping on my left side, or sitting and tilting my head to the left...and (r u ready for this) if I open my mouth, the sound of the beats comes out of my throat:D:Dnot kidding:D:D It is fun and I am the one who was so scared of this ticking, now I am enjoying it and experimenting with it.

But in your case, when this happens, did you ever try to count your heart beats when it is loud. Maybe your pulse is faster than usual, working ,tired, etc. I like to read other's views, but if it bothers you physically, you may want to ask your doctor.

:)

it varies

it varies

i have an on-x valve and its volume also varies from time to time.

while the surgeon suggested some possible reasons for this, like position of the body and time of day, i supect there are almost as many theories as there are minutes in a day and goodness knows which ones are valid.

these days i just try to ignore the noise and get on with living

I'd say body position, and location. Lying on left side, I hear it. Leaning forward for more than a few seconds, I hear it. Sitting in a bathtub, I hear it. Standing or sitting in front of a window or mirror, I hear it. Sitting beside a glass table or glass-topped table, I hear it. In a quiet elevator, I hear it.

All that being said, 95% of the time, I don't hear it, even if I'm listening for it.

Gas:D .... My St Jude is going on three years now and I don't hear it for the most part ... let me say that I never heard the ticking just kind of a thump ... I hear/feel it from time to time if I am very tired or have eaten too much .... I really think it all revolves around body acoustics.

Gas:D .... My St Jude is going on three years now and I don't hear it for the most part ... let me say that I never heard the ticking just kind of a thump ... I hear/feel it from time to time if I am very tired or have eaten too much .... I really think it all revolves around body acoustics.

Excuse me for the interruption, but I would tend to believe its all the Chimps hair is the reason why he barely hears his valve.
;)

I too hear mine in the shower, but I try to keep my mouth closed; it about the only time I do hear it :)

Excuse me for the interruption, but I would tend to believe its all the Chimps hair is the reason why he barely hears his valve.
;)

I too hear mine in the shower, but I try to keep my mouth closed; it about the only time I do hear it :)

Could be ... but have you noticed the size of my ears???:D:D

rblount

rblount

I've had a St Jude mechanical aortic valve for 11 years. It has operated perfectly and I don't have any problems tolerating the coumadin. There are times when I hear the ticking at very noticeable levels and other times when I can't hear it even if I try. I have had many comments over the years from others about the loud watch I have. I have become used to the noise and it doesn't bother me at all.

I have a mechancal aortic valve, it is just over a year old; I don't hear it normally, but sometimes lying in bed, usually on my left side, and if everything is quiet, I do. standing in front of a mirror or window or something, I sometimes hear it if there is not a lot of noise from other soutces. I somethimes think I hear it more when my stomach is more empty ...

I would think a bathtub would have the same kind of echo-ing effect as mirrors and tiles etc.

I have a St-Jude also for 3 months now and I can hear it most of the time, they tell me it takes time to get use to it. I sound like a clock ticking and when in the bathtub I sound like a dripping faucet.lol. Like Eva said I can sometimes feel it at the back of my throat. In time hopefully everything will get to normal, for feeling this good I personally think it's a small price to pay.

I have two mechanical valves my arota and mirtal. I can hear them almost all the time. They have told me because I lost so much weight that makes them even louder. I don't know if thats true or not but they keep ticking away. I 've gotten used to them so it does'nt really bother me any more. Just live each day to the fullest and I'm glad to be ALIVE!!!

Normal mate.

I have st jude aortic and it sound like a cheap analogue watch.

I tune out of hearing it during the normal working day but in a quiet room/office i tune back in and can hear it easily.

Lying on my left side i hear it louder, opening my mouth louder still...

I also have a St Jude mechanical valve. I hear mine most of the time, with varying degrees of volume. Although I cannot prove it, I woiuld almost bet that my tall and thin body frame has something to do with it. The good part is that I am constantly reminded I would not be here without it :D. Better to have a loud one than one that does not work at all :D.

Karl

Latest posts

Back