Lori Is Doing Great!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just knew she would do well! Praise God! two hours off resp, that is awesome! I did not stay on it long at all either that is really great first news!

Hi Everyone, this is Lori's husband, John.

She is doing well; as stated previously her BP was low for 24 hours following surgery which prevented the ICU staff from providing the necessary amount of pain meds. This morning she started to receive some morphine via drip line and she was feeling a little better about mid morning. The ICU nurses wanted to get her out of bed this morning, but they waited until this evening. She was very uncomfortable for the first 18 hours or so after surgery but was resting better and eating this afternoon. She is looking forward to getting some sleep tonight.

Lori had her aortic valve replaced with a St. jude mechanical valve. She had only one chest drain tube; that came out this afternoon along with the probe in the caroded artery and two other A-lines. As stated above the breathing tube and nasal gastric tube were taken out 2 1/2 hours after she arrived in the ICU.

She did get to see our son Jacob last night after the breathing tube came out and again this morning. I apologize for the delayed update but between taking care of our son, receiving surgical updates and tending to the 7or 8 family members present while trying to hold myself together; not to mention finding a place to sit down alone for a few minutes was tough.

She is still in the ICU and they have not mentioned moving her out yet; infact one doctor said if they don't need the ICU room she could stay there for 3 - 4 days. Which would be great because she is getting awesome care by some great nurses.

Dr. Shemin said the surgery went great and she was "making the surgical team look good". The aortic valve was very calcified and bicuspid, definaely in need of replacement. I know Dr. Shemin received some bad press from someone, perhaps from this group. Maybe his bedside manner could have been a little better but I thought he was great. He personally came down after surgery to give us an update and even brought pictures. He made a point to introduce himself to our daughters and Lori's brother, answered all of our questions and did not come off as arrogant. Just confident and proud of his staff; certainly good qualities in a surgeon cutting your loved one's heart open. I did see him on rounds and he appeared thorough, very professional with his students and hospital staff. This was our third meeting and as usual he was very professional, patient and thorough. I get the feeling he has one passion in life, CT surgery and that's it! Thumbs up for Dr. Shemin and the CT staff at UCLA.

I will provide an update again tomorrow night or Saturday.

Thank You, everyone for your prayer and encouragement.

John

John, thank you so much for the great update! No need to apologize at all. I know you must be exhausted, mentally and physically, as I just went through what you did just a little less than 3 weeks ago (my husband had an AVR with an aortic aneurysm repair on 8/24/09). We all just worry here until we hear that everything is okay.

Sorry to hear that Lori was so uncomfortable and that they couldn't give her the pain meds because of her bp. Glad that she is feeling better now. Her lines and tubes all came out really quickly. She is going to do great and will be home before you know it. Let her stay in the ICU as long as they will keep her - she will definitely get more attention there. David was in the ICU for 7 days and got really spoiled. When they finally moved him to the step down room he was not too happy at first with how long it took the nurses to come when he called!

Get some rest if you can, you will need it for when she comes home! Keeping Lori in my thoughts and prayers for a continued smooth recovery!

Nadine

You have had your hands full for sure! Thanks for finding time for the update and I'm glad to hear she is doing better and eating and getting really good care. Sounds like a good family rallying around too. Take care of yourself too every chance you get.

Best wishes,

Rhena

Thanks John for taking the time to up-date us.
Glad to hear Lori is doing well and getting the best treatment.

Sounds like you have your hands full, please take care of yourself, rest as often as you can even if it's with Lori. Don't let yourself get run-down.

Please pass on my wishes to Lori and tell her she's awesome. :)

Hi Everyone, this is Lori's husband, John.
. He personally came down after surgery to give us an update and even brought pictures. He made a point to introduce himself to our daughters and Lori's brother, answered all of our questions and did not come off as arrogant. Just confident and proud of his staff; certainly good qualities in a surgeon cutting your loved one's heart open. I did see him on rounds and he appeared thorough, very professional with his students and hospital staff. This was our third meeting and as usual he was very professional, patient and thorough. I get the feeling he has one passion in life, CT surgery and that's it! Thumbs up for Dr. Shemin and the CT staff at UCLA.
I will provide an update again tomorrow night or Saturday.

Thank You, everyone for your prayer and encouragement.

John

Thanks, John, for the detailed update. Dr. Shemin is UNIQUE in every sense and you got it...his profession is his passion!! May God bless his hands and bless his heart and keep him safe for all the patients who need him,

Great news! It looks like Lori has an excellent medical team, and is also well covered on the internet...

(Don't let those 7 or 8 family members wear her out--having visitors is very tiring the first few weeks, no matter how much you love them.)

wishing you a speedy and smooth recovery lori.

SRINIVAS

srinivas Heart History:
13/6/2008 2D Echo Diagnosed Ascending Aortic Dissection ,Bicuspid aortic valve, Moderate AR at the age of 38(2008)
9/6/08 CT scan shows Aneurysmal dilation of aortic root and ascending aorta with dissection extending upto brachio cephalic trunk and mild aneurysm
16/07/08 Operative findings & repair. Aortic aneurysm approx size 10 cms diameter.Aneurysm extd upto 1c m from innomiate artery. Mod. Bental DC Bono surgery procedure done to repair my anueuysm with#25 mm St.Jude medical valved conduit(SN 84094003.REF25CAVGJ-51400 AOROTIC VALVED GRAFT) At CARE Hospital Bangara Hills,Hyderabad,India. Surgeon: Dr K.s. Neelakandan gave me re birth! Dr . Sridar,Dr.Amreesh, Dr.Jagannatham completed the formalities.

Thanks John for updating. I am so glad to hear how well Lori's surgery went. I'm sorry she was in pain due to low bp. I hope that she can now keep the pain under control. Take the advice to take care of yourself. We also have a 5 year old and I know it's easier said than done. I was so glad to read that Lori got to see your little guy. I know how much that means to a mom. I will keep you all in my prayers.

John, it sounds like things are going along just right.

My worst days were the second and third out of surgery. If Lori seems to regress a little today, that could be pretty normal.

Eight family members visiting certainly shows how much she is loved by her family but it could be wearing on Lori, although she will not tell you that. Visitation in moderation, Some folks may not be all that accepting of limiting their time, so what, keep Lori's well being in mind first.

Don't forget to get your sleep in too. That's easy for me to say I know but you have your work cut out for you for the next couple of weeks anyway. Eat right and sleep well.

Nanc & I are keeping your family in our prayers. Keep us posted.

Rob

Great news.. thanks for the update. I hope that she starts feeling better soon. she and her family will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

John,

Great news indeed. I wish Lori a successful and uneventful recovery. Now hopefully both of you can get some much needed rest. I'm not sure that's possible with little ones around.

John,
So wonderful to hear the good news of how well Lori's surgery went. Thank God.
Praying that all will continue to go well with her recovery and Lori will soon be back with you and little Jacob and rest of family.
God Bless.
Sheila

John,
Thanks for the update. Give Lori a big hello and tell her I wish you a truly speedy recovery. It sounds like she is well on her way to a new lease on life. Even though my husband didn't have Dr. Shemin, I will agree that all the staff at UCLA are top notch. Take care and I will look forward to updates from Lori or yourself. God Bless You

Thanks John for the great news! I certainly understand the position you are in! I remember all too well, just what my poor husband and children went through!

Hang in there, the very worst is over! Please tell Lori I said hello. We will be looking forward to her return when she is feeling well enough.

God bless

Latest posts

Back