Long time reader, first time poster

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

plexxer

Hello all, my name is Joel, I am 35 years old and I am having surgery on the 26th of October.

I started reading this site when I was first diagnosed with Aortic Stenosis in late spring of 2003. I sprained my ankle and went to my PCP when he off-handedly asked me if anyone ever told me I had a heart murmur. A echocardiogram and cardiac catheterization over that summer indicated my condition, an until-then undiagnosed bicuspid valve, but that it wasn't bad enough to warrant immediate surgery. I had the bi-yearly cardiologist visits along with annual echos and stress tests and, until this fall, everything seemed to be okay.

Now, after an echo indicating severe regurgitation and significant narrowing, a stress test that did not fit the profile of a person my age and a confirmation through a second cardiac catheterization procedure, my cardiologist suggested surgery, and I agreed. Unfortunately, it meant withdrawing from college for the semester (I am a non-traditional student seeking my degree in Scientific Computing from the Univ. of Pittsburgh), and as things seem to be ramping up, I am both confident and scared witless.

I must admit, I haven't been reading this site much over the past couple years I was in the diagnosed-but-not-severe holding pattern that many in my condition live with, but I have been checking it regularly within the past few weeks. The stories have been very encouraging. If anything, while I have a wonderful support system through my family, it has helped me feel not as "alone" knowing how many more there are out there living wonderful lives in the same boat as me.

As for the details of the surgery, I have decided to have my surgery out of the hospital that my cardiologist works out of. It isn't the biggest hospitial in the area, and they have only started doing OH procedures for about 5 years, but it is near to my family, which was a big factor in my decision. I decided on a surgeon who also works out of the hospital, but who is also a chief surgeon for the cardiac hospital in the UPMC group. He has over 30 years of experience and even received a glowing review from Catheran at MCRI when I spoke with her.

After doing a lot of research, I decided upon the On-X valve, most notably because of its ability of reducing clot formation and the good datas relating to pannus formation. The choice of going with a mechanical valve was the result of the good information I read on this site regarding coumadin.

So, that's it. A little over a week to go. Most of the unanswered questions I have revolve life immediately after surgery. I am married, and my wife is the primary bread winner in the family currently (highschool librarian) and we have a 16 month-old son (http://www.flickr.com/photos/parkersparents). How much will I be able to help around the house when I get back? Is there a lot of appointments afterwards?

Thanks for reading,

Joel

Welcome

Welcome

Aloha, Joel.

Welcome to the group.

In answer to your concerns, the surgeon stays involved for a short period of time while the incision heals and all is well with his part. That only takes a few weeks and you see him about once a week or so.

From that point on it's in the cardiologist's hands and that, as well, only requires "regular" visits for a couple of months.

The first few weeks are a bit edgy with the sternum healing. That flat bone takes a while to firm up again and while it's in process the bone is very plastic. That means it HATES to be flexed. You'll be surprised on how little movement it takes to flex it and what a complainer it can be.

Get the wife to fix the popcorn and let the Steelers fill a few hours for you. Relax as best you can and, as the mantra goes, Sleep, eat and walk. You'll do fine.

I'm from Pittsburgh originally, myself. I love the Tower of Learning. Spent a lot of time there.

Take care and again, Welcome to the group.

Jerry

Dear Joel,
Good luck on your upcoming surgery! I wish you a quick & speedy recovery. As far as how quickly you will be able to do things around the house -- just concentrate on taking it rather easy when you get home -- some patients heal quicker than others & have an easier time w/ post-up recovery time.

Will you be home monitoring your INR? If not, you can count on having to go to the lab about once a week until your INR readings are somewhat stable. Don't get discouraged if they fluctuate up & down for a while. Some of us still fight with erractic INR readings even after months or even years after surgery. I still do.

God bless & best of luck! Give us a shout when you make it back!:)

Joel, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you deserve an "A" on your homework. :D You should do well. Lots of great medical facilities and personnel in the Pitt area. Needed them when Steelers QB (whose name I can't spell from memory) took that motorcycle fling. :D

I wouldn't count on helping out around the house much for the first few weeks or even first month. Just relax, walk, nap, use the spirometer, nap some more. Need time to heal. No heavy lifting. I am sure your surgeon will give you a list of ways to take care of yourself in the recovery and then rehab.

After time for healing, you might enjoy and benefit from cardiac rehab sessions. I know I did.

All best wishes to you. Keep us posted.

Welcome to the VR Community, Joel. Glad you found us and decided to post.

The first few weeks you'll be taking it pretty easy, I suspect mainly light chores to take care of yourself, verses helping the household at large.

I saw my GP immediately after discharge and was scheduled to see my Cardiologist at 4 weeks and my Surgeon at 6 - 8. In addition, I was scheduled for blood work twice a week to monitor my INR for the coumadin dosage.

Best wishes for a successful surgery and the 26th, and a smooth uneventful recovery.

Hello Joel, welcome to the group.
Post op you may have a hard time moving around for the first few weeks. Don't over do it and you will progress just fine. Each of us is different. I had a home nurse coming in 1-2 times a week for the first 2 months, and my husband worked from home for a while.
I had weekly blood tests for 6-8 weeks then we did every second week.
You still have some time to get organized; buy some sweatpants and loose Tshirts, stock up on DVDs and some good books.

Joel, I put your AVR on the VR calendar for October 26, so it's official!:eek: ;)
I understand your mixed emotions; it's usual. You're sure it will be ok, but you're scared witless at the thought. Most of us were/are.
I would forget trying to help with any housework. Your ability to pick anything up will be limited, and honestly, you won't be able to navigate with the usual ease and dexterity that you're currently use to. I would resign myself to finding a comfy place to recuperate, and other than some periodic walking, forget the rest.
We're here when you need us.:)

Your ON-X buddy

Your ON-X buddy

I'm about the same age as you and just had AVR and got ON-X valve. Though I had few speed bumps, still I was able to help myself for most part. Only restriction was on lifting weight. Other than that do whatever your body will allow but don't exert yourself.

Beside visit from nurse who did the blood test for INR, I had one appointment with PCP and cardiologist after 2 weeks and one appointment with surgeon in 4 weeks.

Wish you all the best and see you on the other side.

Hi Joel -

Welcome to the site. So you're "both confident and scared witless" right now, huh? Sounds absolutely normal;) !

Surgeon recommendations for post-op seem to vary as per the members here. I was told to not push or pull or lift anything more than five pounds for the first eight weeks post-op and to not drive for the first eight weeks post-op either. You probably will need to shuttle back and forth to the ACT labs and a few cardio and/or surgeon followups, post-op. Also, it seems to me from what I've read here that it's not uncommon for at least one post-op complication, whether it's A-fib/A-flutter or something more serious--although I don't know what the exact stats are for something like that. Then you or your doctors may want you in cardiac rehab; you can ask about that. You will probably not be shoveling much if any snow this winter, nor lifting your son for awhile either. Bending was unpleasant for me for awhile. And you must not be around any germy people because you want to avoid any illness and the possibly resulting sneeze and coughs, which can be extremely unpleasant for your rewired sternum.

Post again when you can. Take care. Hope all goes well for your surgery.

Welcome

Welcome

Joel, Nice pictures! Looks like we'll be sharing our surgery anniversary in years to come. I'd say don't expect to pick up the little guy for about a month, or do it very carefully. I don't think you'll feel up to doing much for at least 4 weeks, but everyone is different. I think it took about 3 weeks for my INR to really level out, so I was going to the clinic at least once a week during that period. My PCP told me today that he had a visiting nurse do his INR for a couple of weeks when he was on warfarin. That sure beats going to the clinic. Is there anyone that might come stay for a couple of weeks to help? A grandparent perhaps? Keep us posted. I'll be thinking of you on the 26th for sure! Hope your luck is even better than mine, and mine has been very good! Brian

Greetings Joel,

For the first week (preferably 2 weeks), you WILL need someone to help you as you will most likely have ZERO excess energy.

It takes 6 weeks for the sternum to heal to 85% of capacity and you will have SERIOUS Weight Lifting restrictions (5 lbs, then 10 lbs, which will gradually be increased). It takes 12 weeks to reach 100% capacity.

I think it is safe to say that you should NOT expect to be able to care for your infant son. YOU will need to be cared for the first week or two and will still most likely need to take NAPS throughout the day / night as many (most?) of us do NOT sleep more that a few hours at a time, sometimes for weeks (even months) after surgery.

The fact that you are Young and presumably in otherwise good health will likely result in a more rapid recovery than for us 'more elderly' patients.

You would be wise to look into child care (family, friends, even outside care) for a period of several weeks BEFORE you have your surgery. Hopefully some of our members with more direct experience in this area will provide more 'real life' inputs.

'AL Capshaw'

Welcome Joel

Welcome Joel

Good luck with your surgery. I hope you will be back in the saddle is no time. I had my first surgery at age 35 and you are likely to be resilient. Your loving family will be great motivation for healing quickly. Your wife may enjoy the postings in this webiste for significant others.

Hi Joel and welcome :)

My husband had his AVR @ 34 years old in Sept 2005. His first choice was also the On-X, but his surgeon wasn't using them yet. You are getting a great valve :) I am a nurse and I was lucky enough to be able to take 3 weeks off of work when my husband had his surgery. Our kids are older (now 16 and 11 years old...we started a little young, lol) so they were pretty independant @ the time of Dad's surgery. I think I went back to work @ 2 weeks post op with just call as Natedidn't need me to get in the way anymore by that time. His surgery was the last week of Sept and by January he was on his snowmobile :) As mentioned before, you should talk with the surgeon about when he feels it will be a safe time to pick up the baby. During that first week, Nathan didn't have a huge amount of pain @ the sternum site, and somehow forgot about it ??? and got stuck in the recliner tipping over backwards. My....I am going to have to ask him how that exactly happened. Point is.....Go easy...and don't over do :) The results we have seen on this side have been absolutely incredible!

Wishing you guys all the best,

Ann

I would like to thank you all for your kind words. I have seen how this community rallies around their 'own', but to experience it first hand is still overwhelming!

My surgery has been moved up one day to Thursday the 25th. That was a bit exasperating, as it seems as though I have so much to do as it is, but whatever it takes to make the surgery go smoother is fine with me.

It seems the first few weeks after surgery will be as I feared, but both my wife and I understand how important rest is to not only a full recovery, but a successful one. I just need to pound that fact into my stubborn head to just rest, as I can be very resistant to rest when it seems I can be helping. My poor son is also too young and will not understand why dad cannot toss him around like an airplane anymore.

My wife plans on taking a few days off to accompany me at home when I get back from the hospital, but I will be home by myself for the bulk of my recovery at home during the daylight hours. Let's hope I don't go stir crazy!

Again, thank you all for your responses. It is helping ease my anxiety.

I changed the calendar entry to reflect your new surgery date, Joel.
If you are only responsible for yourself, I think you will be able to manage with your wife only being home for a few days. But care of your son might be another issue. Will he be in daycare? Don't forget, you won't be able to lift him for some time.

Mary,

Yes, we have him enrolled in a good daycare facility that is pretty close to home. I had him home with me last week because he had some stomach bug and the energy needed for that in my condition pretty much wiped me out every day.

plexxer said:
Mary,

Yes, we have him enrolled in a good daycare facility that is pretty close to home. I had him home with me last week because he had some stomach bug and the energy needed for that in my condition pretty much wiped me out every day.

I'm glad you have arrangements in place for your son, and I bet you're back, better than ever, by New Year's Day.:)
And that really isn't very long from now!:)

I needed lots of help for only about a week or so after surgery. After that I could have been left alone to take care of myself. Went back to work at 6 weeks, but at a somewhat limited capacity. There was this one really heavy door I had a hard time opening.

Don't forget to be careful when holding your son. He will, at some point, throw his head back and attempt to break open your carefully sutured sternum! Actually, even 3 years later my sternum is a little tender.

Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back