Liver Function/Cleanse & INR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cirrider

I don't remember this ever being commented on, so I'm asking: If I take steps in my diet to improve liver function (i.e.- cut out artificial chemicals, sugars, gluten etc) and just each healthy, it would logically seem that my INR would go down? My reasoning is, if the liver works as a better filter, it takes more of the Warfarin out of the blood stream and therefore it becomes less effective. If I continue to eat healthy things, such as the same amount of greens, proteins etc, but just cut out those items that make the liver work harder, what affect will that have on my dosage? Anyone with any experience in this? Thanks

No. Liver function is pretty much consistent unless you do something to damage it (ie drink too much alcohol, are obese and have a "fatty liver", take a medication which is toxic to the liver, etc). Eating healthier is a great thing so do that regardless. Remember that eating a lot of certain foods and vegetables high in vitamin K will drop your INR and require you to take more warfarin, but all you would have to do is readjust the dosage to your new eating habits. Sugars and gluten are not metabolized by the liver, the are broken down in the small intestines and reabsorbed into your blood stream. And I can't think of any artificial chemicals in high enough concentration in foods that will cause liver damage. Don't worry, just make the change to live a healthier life.

The liver doesn't just act as a 'filter' - it is also one of the chemistry labs of the body. It mediates some of the process involved in coagulation (and anticoagulation). From what I've seen, a failing liver is one that can cause a very high INR (because it can't produce the factors essential for clotting), so, perhaps, a healthy liver will do a better job of creating the anticoagulant factors than one that isn't extremely healthy.

The point here is, as RBCola said, make a move towards saving your liver - or even change diet to improve the health of your liver.

Make the dietary (and, perhaps other) changes consistently, and be sure to increase the testing for your INR, so that you can keep on top of dosing for any changes that result from your liver-healthier life style.

Thanks for the quick replies! I have been home testing since my surgery nearly 8 yrs ago. At first with the Coaguchek S and for the last few years, with the XS. So I am very "involved" with monitoring and dosing my Warfarin. This diet change is not a cleanse in the truest sense, but rather a healthier way of eating with more focus on proteins and foods with as few additives as possible. Sugars are very limited. I ask the question since my INR went down somewhat when I tested this week and I will see what it does next week. Thanks again for the input. Any further suggestions are appreciated.

Don't get taken in by some fad herbal diet that is said to "cleanse" the liver. There is no basis for that. There are a few things that definitely can damage the liver and impair its ability to synthisize things, such as clotting factors, as well as perform a variety of metabolic functions. Alcohol in substantial quantities acutely damages the liver (hepatitis) and chronically results in permanent physical and physiologic changes (cirrhosis) - I just lost a college buddy to cirrhosis due to chronic alcoholism and I saw vast amounts of evidence of the effects of alcohol on liver function when I worked at a VA hospital and a county receiving hospital. But other than that and some drugs, there are few things in any halfway normal diet that can impair liver function. Here's an example of a collection of totally fallacious information about dietary causes of and herbal solutions for hepatitis. http://dherbs.com/articles/hepatitis-41.html

Never was much of a drinker (there truth is out now I have to think up another reason) but due to being in a coma for two periods of 2 weeks each and now my liver function is at 27% my diet consists of no phosphates so no coke or pepsi and no fibers such as nuts and whole wheat products my diabetic diets are ogten st odds to thses.......I would love to take all my dieticians (diabetes,renal failure,cardiac rehab and heart function) put them all in one room and let them duke it out ....last one standing

Just a clarification: My liver cleanse diet is NOT due to cirrhosis or liver disease. Rather, it is a diet plan that has as it's theory that if the liver if working overtime cleaning out toxins, additives etc then it is not as efficient at processing the good food and/or removing the fat. Anyway, just to clarify the reason for my question. Thanks for all the input that has been given.

Latest posts

Back