lansoprazole

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RunMartin

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I have been taking lansoprazole since my AVR. Does anyone know why I could be taking this. Someone said it was to stop heart burn? I seem to be getting mild feeling of this recently (last two weeks). At first I thought it was my irregular heart beats but they do not always seem to happen when this feeling comes on.
Thanks
Martin

Lansoprazole is used to treat ulcers; gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), a
condition in which backward flow of acid from the stomach causes heartburn and
injury of the food pipe (esophagus); and conditions where the stomach produces
too much acid, such as Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

I entered lansoprazole in Google and up popped exactly what Ross just posted. :) I don't know how I survived before 'google' was created. :D

I was put on omeprazole (Prilosec) after AVR to help protect my stomach since I started Coumadin and aspirin. I'm in the proceess of weaning myself rather than stopping cold turkey. I had AVR on April 26.

The reason for starting this thread on lansoprazole was that I have been taking it since surgery (not before) and it seems that most people who have had AVRs are not taking it. It seems odd that some are given lansoprazole as a matter of course after surgery and others not. Also at the moment I think I am getting some acid reflux so obviously the lansoprazole is not working as it should.

I take Omeprazol each morning, it is used to protect my stomach. As I had anaemia before my op, it is a precaution. I don't think I have had any side effects from it which for me is unusual as I generally have the whole lot from the list in the packet! I did stop taking it for a while but found that my wind from the warfarin is much less since restarting.

I'm in the process of weaning myself off Prilosec. I've been on 20mg daily for 3 years for acid reflux, and I must say it was VERY effective. I started taking it years ago when it was probably my gall bladder that was the real culprit. Gall bladder is gone. Now I want to stop prilosec because of unknown long term effects (osteporosis, etc). It is VERY DIFFICULT to stop now--there is definitely a rebound effect.

Tums are not working. So, here are the homeopathic meds (see 2 and 3 below) I am starting to try to help my stomach with acid reflux. I'll let you know if it works. I'm not on warfarin. I've read the DGL Licorice/Mastic Gum approach helps from several sources.

http://www.endfatigue.com/tools-support/How-To-Get-Off-Acid-Blockers---Naturally.html

To Summarize: (Use #1; Use # 2 &/or # 3 to help wean off the acid blockers. Then use # 4 after 1-2 months to complete stomach healing)

1 - Similase GS (by Tyler) or Complete GEST Enzymes (Enzymatic Therapy) - 2 capsules with each meal to help digest your food properly and drink warm liquids with meals. If the enzymes are irritating to the stomach, wait till your stomach feels better on # 2&3 below before resuming the enzymes.

2 - DGL Licorice- 380mg (not the sugar free one) from Enzymatic Therapy or Rhizinate from PhytoPharmica. Chew 2 tablets 20 minutes before meals.

3 - Mastic Gum (any brand) - 1000mg twice a day for 2 months - then as needed.

4 - Heartburn Free - (Enzymatic Therapy). 1 every other day for 20 days (may initially aggravate reflux, but can give long term relief.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back