Ladies - What type of cover do they use when you go to the cardio?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cynaburst

I went for my annual echo and exam last week and had a male echocardiographer who was quite excellent, but it got me thinking.....those hospital gowns that open down the front are not very good at covering things up, and they need to get in there to do their examination. My guy used a cloth to drape over me, but that can't work during an exam with a stethescope.

What kind of provisions (or not) do you ladies get when going to the cardiologist or do you just suck it up and leave your modesty at the door? I have to admit, even though I am an old pro at this, I still have moment of pause when an unfamiliar man walks in the room and starts poking around at the girls.

I never undress when I go to my cardio for regular check ups. I choose which tops to wear carefully and usually will wear a v-neck sweater/top where he can use his stethoscope without difficulty.

The only time I wore gown was after both my surgeries when he needed to check my incisions healing.

When I have a EKG, the nurse does it while I'm in a gown and I dress when she is finished.

Well, when I go in for Echos, the tech will ask that I remove everything from the waist up & then put on one of those 'fabulous' hospital gowns with the opening to the front. It's not the most comfortable scenario but I want him/her to do a good job so I comply with their instructions. For EKG's, the same procedure applies.

Whenever I've seen my cardio, I'll wear a blouse that opens on the front or a v-neck top so that he can have easy access with the stethoscope.

My feeling is that I want to make sure nothing stands in the way of them conducting a good exam so if removing part of my clothing is required, I will comply.

Added: And the technicians are aware that women are usually more uncomfortable with exposing themselves, so they do try their best to keep you as covered as they can & still do their exam.

Last edited:
I never undress when I go to my cardio for regular check ups. I choose which tops to wear carefully and usually will wear a v-neck sweater/top where he can use his stethoscope without difficulty.

The only time I wore gown was after both my surgeries when he needed to check my incisions healing.

When I have a EKG, the nurse does it while I'm in a gown and I dress when she is finished.

My experience exactly.
During an echo, the tech generally moves the gown opening around to where the girls are not exposed.

I went for my annual echo and exam last week and had a male echocardiographer who was quite excellent, but it got me thinking.....those hospital gowns that open down the front are not very good at covering things up, and they need to get in there to do their examination. My guy used a cloth to drape over me, but that can't work during an exam with a stethescope.

What kind of provisions (or not) do you ladies get when going to the cardiologist or do you just suck it up and leave your modesty at the door? I have to admit, even though I am an old pro at this, I still have moment of pause when an unfamiliar man walks in the room and starts poking around at the girls.

Pasties.... with tassles :biggrin2:

I've had the same male tech for echos the last 4 years. He is improving at keeping the gown draped. When I see the cardio, the stethoscope and EKG are done just by moving my shirt, but I try to wear something stretchy because of the blood pressure check anyway.

wow......am I the only one who sits in the waiting room stark naked ?

No, i do too, well from my waist up, have always done that, even when im getting ECG's, ECHO's ect done, and im in the UK....(but he let's me undress just before he examins me)
Luv Sarah xx

For an echo I undress from the waist up, and wear a hospital gown. The male tech(s) I've seen are always very polite, not that I would give a flip about them seeing my breasts. If someone were to gawk, it'd be noticeable, and probably a firing offense.

Really, when you've spent 11 days in ICU wearing a foley catheter, and umpteen more days in the hospital with dressing changes on your chest/picc line/help getting a shower, etc.....
Who CARES if medical personnel see you???? Certainly not me.

They're just breasts, and frankly with all the scars, I doubt the tech gets off looking at me, even though I'm outrageously adorable. Remember, half the patients are female. They see 'em all day long.

The doctor either examines with a stethascope through my clothing, or by putting it under my clothing. Again, who cares?

I use to care so much about modesty but like Laurie said after all my surgeries all that has gone out the door.. I actually allowed a male aide shower me last time.. I just wanted a shower soo bad.. He was very considerate but seven years ago I would never let that happen.. I always wanted female doctors but after lots of issues w/ my regular cardiologist after eight years I am switching to a male.. Funny how times have changed

My cardio always gives me a gown to put on, closing in the back. No flashing of the girls, but like the others, I couldn't care less.

I have always used the hospital gowns as instructed. I have always felt comfortable with the techs as well as the nurses, male or female. Modesty goes out the window with my heart checkups. That is just the way I always reacted to this since childhood. Not every reacts the same and does things different to feel comfortable with what has to be done.

I, too, just wear a v-neck top when I visit my cardio. He lifts up the top to listen to my lungs in the back, and in the front, he just puts the stethescope in thru the v-neck and listens. No removing of my bra like I had to do years ago with a different cardio. He also lays me down on the table and just pulls up my top to listen to the chest and abdomen area.
For the echo, I am given a paper half gown, open in the front and he just puts the wand in there, no exposure for the most part.They do have to get in there and the girls would be in the way, but they are very professional about it and just get to the location they need to see the valves. The worst echo tech I had was a smoker who had just come in from a cigarette break, ugh! I always make sure when making appts now that she isn't my tech!

For my echo the technician shows me into the room and asked me to remove everything from the waist upwards then get on the couch. He leaves the room and shuts the door then returns after allowing me sufficient time to disrobe and to get on the couch and under a blanket. He then returns and only when he is ready he pulls the blanket down. After completion of the echo and ECG he will give me paper towels to wipe myself and then leave the room so that I can get dressed.

When I see the cardio I just wear a v-nexk shirt and undo the top button.

Back