Ladies Forum - bra question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julieaka

In the hospital, my surgeon said "no underwire" and to wear a bra preferably front closure....... to get 'em off my chest and incision (mind you we are talking pretty average size here - nothing crazy)

(funny side note - picture husband at Target near the hospital not finding this "product" - god bless him he finally found ONE at Dillard's for $60 after much searching!)

at 3 week check, they said I am healing great, but in the HOT summer to make SURE to shower and clean under breast area/keep 'em in a bra and dry --- ie, a bad place to sweat and grow germs near your incision (lots of breast advice from lots of men - no female nurses or PAs)

Obviously these males have not been out bra shopping lately - lol

what advice did you get on this topic:?

Corn starch. You can use the one mixed with baby powder to give it that extra soft feeling lol or by it self. A heart sister told me about the corn starch and it helped.
I had a chest tube hole right in the crease of my breast and being large breasted and gravity it was tougher healing. They tell you get the front opening bra its easier to get on and off. I found the back closing held me better and didn't bother the chest tube holes you'll need someone to
undo the hooks. Better yet just stay in the air conditioning lol.
Keep cool

After both my OHS, I wore Barely There Crop tops, a very light weight, stretchy, no hooks and no underwire bra. The first week, my first OHS, I wore an underwire and got a small infection. I learned very fast to get something more suitable.

Pulled them on and off very easily. They sell them in Macy's as well as www.onehanesplace.com, Item no. 898NP, and only $7.49 each. They were worth their weight in gold to me. Gave me adequate support without being too heavy/hot. I was so happy I held onto them when I learned I needed a second OHS four years later.

When I had my first PVR when I was 25 years old I was a size C. No one said anything about wearing a bra. I had no pain and it was winter so I just wore large sweat shirts and just didn't wear one. This time I am 44 and a size D. I am a side sleeper. I also bought a couple of Barely There bras. I found during the day that the bras were fine, but at night I had a problem with side to side support and my incision would be pulled on and cause pain. After I was discharged I woke up early in the morning with a lot of pain. What helped me was a very supportive sports bra that secured in the front to wear at night. It really helped lessen my pain. You can usually get them at a sporting goods store.

Debbie

It's nice to look for cotton bras where the cotton fabric covers the elastic. Less irritation and chafing that way.
I would avoid corn starch and baby powder until everything is totally healed.

The "barely there" bra was suggested to me prior to my OHS in January. It was great. Easy to put on....didn't roll up the way a sports bra does....gave enough support and didn't rub at all in sensitive places. Highly recommended!

Pat

Boy - I wish I had asked you all AHEAD of time! I will go look at those and see what I can still do - no my incision is not quite healed - but looking good for 3.5 weeks

Since it is summer and keeping dry is a concern, you might want to get some of the bras that have the fabric that wicks moisture away. Many of the sports bras are made out of that kind of fabric.

ps I agree with Bina about avoiding powder, corn-startch ect this close to surgery unless everything is completely healed over.

Latest posts

Back