Just Started Cardiac Rehab

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeakyValve

Hey, all!

I just had my first cardiac rehab session on Friday. After taking a lot of measurements, vitals, etc., they put me through a VERY easy treadmill/stationary bike workout. My cardiologist set my HR limits at a very modest 130 bpm for the first week and 150 bpm for the second week. Believe me, I don't mind taking it easy at this point! ;)

What startled me a little bit was that they told me that I was authorized for 18 weeks. 18 weeks?! Does that sound like more than what is needed or just about right? Granted, everyone is different and being athletic prior to surgery may help expedite the process. But what is typical? If there is a typical?

For those of you on the fence about rehab, I can't recommend it enough...even after just one session. These nurses are amazing and the attention you get is fantastic and reassuring.

Cheers,
Mike

I'm so glad you're happy with it. Aren't you going 2 times a week? My Inova rehab was authorized for 36 sessions, but I went 3 times a week, so it was 12 weeks. A great thing about it for me was that it was May-July, so I got good exercise indoors through most of our awful summer--you get the winter advantage.

So glad you like it Mike. I love going to cardio rehab. I feel so much better and look forward to going 3 to 4 times a week. I feel its helped in so many ways.
Hope you continue to get stronger everyday.:)

My cardiac rehab was 36 sessions over 12 weeks. The staff was great and they kept everyone motivated. I was younger than most in my class and was able to work in some weight training once my sternum was completely healed. You get what you put into it, so work hard and you will be amazed at how quicky you regain your strength and appetite after surgery.

Mike,

I am happy to hear you are enjoying your rehab...I am enjoying mine too and it is great help mentally as well as physically. My surgeon recommended 8 week, 3 times/week; and my insurance approved 12 weeks, 3 times a week.

Wish you continual improvement.:)

All -

Thank you so much for your replies and encouragement. I think my insurance approved 36 sessions, which works out to 12 weeks. That makes more sense...thanks!

Mike

When I had AVR 17+ years ago there wasn't much in the way of rehab. I remember getting a brochure about it, sort of just as a courtesy. The hospital handed it to you more as a suggestion that there was a separate rehab clinic somewhere nearby if you felt you needed it. No one said whether it was covered by any insurance. I just ignored it.

Neither the surgeon nor the cardiologist even mentioned it. They just said start walking every day. Of course I was already a runner and I had every intention of returning to it when I could. My recovery was all on my own with no advice, no guidance, so I was always in doubt about what I could do, how much and when.

Mike,

Mine was 3 times a week for 12 weeks, so 36 sessions as well, and insurance paid for it.

I am glad you are enjoying it so far. My experience also was that they started out very easy, then gradually increased til was getting a pretty good workout by the end. Was great for establishing a base, and then going from there.

Enjoy!

Hey Mike,

I never heard of Cardiac Rehab until I read something here about a month after surgery. The surgeon gave me a 120 max for 3 months. That was easy to get to even on beta blockers. For the next 3 months I went to 150bpm.
I always stayed in that zone.

I wore my heart rate monitor all day every day. That really helped me keep an eye on things and see what I was capable of. I also purchased a portable blood pressure meter.

btw - the polar monitor is a lot more accurate than the machines in the hospital.

Leeroy reminded me--I knew about rehab from reading here. When we found out surgery was within about a year, I asked my cardiologist about it. She said they don't usually send valve patients, but she would be happy to write the order if I wanted it. Same response later from surgeon's staff.

Another reason to be grateful for the site!

I asked my cardiologist about it. She said they don't usually send valve patients, but she would be happy to write the order if I wanted it. Same response later from surgeon's staff.

Another reason to be grateful for the site!

So then it had nothing to do with mine being 17 years ago. It sounds like the same policy is in effect now as then. I wonder why it's not pushed for valvers.

The one thing that wasn't there in 1991 was this internet forum.

So then it had nothing to do with mine being 17 years ago. It sounds like the same policy is in effect now as then. I wonder why it's not pushed for valvers.

The one thing that wasn't there in 1991 was this internet forum.

I am NOT saying this thinking is right BUT I believe they think that alot of Rehab is about eating well ect,livestyle choices, things that people that have had CABG's and heart attacks need (and not valve patients who's problems weren't caused by live style choices) they tend to forget about the benefits of supervised excercise and how that can help Valve patients

Hello Mike, I have'nt posted to you yet, so "HI" from always sunny So.Cal.
I did'nt do rehab but at 6 weeks I started walking everyday for as long as I felt strong and I had a goal to briskly walk a 5k by 11 weeks with my daughter. I walked almost everyday for those 5 weeks and am happy to say I did great, felt great, and it is good to have a goal. I am almost 1 year post-op now and keep making goals and having a great time reaching them!! My daughter and I just did a sprint-tri together last month, and my next goal is to bike ride 25 miles in a ride in Palm Springs in Feb. I have big dreams, lets see how far I get. Have fun with your rehab, isn't it great to have your heart fixed! Take care Debbie :)

SuperBob -

Thanks. The nurses and exercise physiologists at INOVA Fairfax are great at explaining the plan and it is exactly what you mentioned. The monitored exercise and answering basic questions so as not to overdo it was what I was looking for with cardiac rehab. Happy to see that after 3+ years, you're still contributing to the forum!

Mike

Leeroy -

I've got my Polar HR as well and agree that it's the best. The machines at INOVA Fairfax are new and are compatible with the Polar HR straps. I was wearing mine all the time also, but was tending to get compulsive about checking it.

I must admit that it's been a challenge to accept my new RHR at about 80-85 bpm, vs. the 45-50 I had prior to the surgery! But I generally stay in the 90-100 range whilst walking about and putzing around. The treadmill and stationary bike for now max out at about 107 and 124 respectively.

Hope you're well. Congrats on the recent successful TT!

Mike

Debbie -

Thanks for your reply and "Hello!" from cold and dark Leesburg, VA (it's 19 degrees F right now). I've been reading your posts...the triathlon that you and your daughter recently completed was very impressive! Congratulations! You give me hope and inspiration.

Looks like you are "two-timer"? First when you were very very young? I'll be very happy if my repair lasts as long as yours did before you needed a replacement! ;-)

Look forward to getting to know you and all of the other fine people in our group.

Mike

Hey Mike, yes my daughter and I had a great time last month, it will be an event I won't forget! Hey you said I was a two-timer, well I will be looking forward to being a three-timer in 15 years. I have a tissue valve and they don't last forever so I'm planning on getting alot of good use out of this one. I also wear a HR montier when I ride, the cardio says not to go over 150 and it is hard to do with the BP meds. I mostly wear it to watch if I am having arrythemias?, I don't have them too often but enough to keep me aware that yes I am a heart patient! Keep up the walking and you will get stronger and feel better each and every day. Take care Debbie :)

I was never "given cardiac rehab" for either of my last surgeries. I live in a 4 level split and the baby's room is on the top floor and my cpu is in the basement. does that count. I was told I could go to the gym and do light treadmill and go to the bowling alley and throw a 6 lb ball.

Debbie -

Isn't there a "Three Strike Law" in California? ;-) Sounds like you (and virtually everyone else in this forum) get the most of life. True inspiration. Thanks for the encouragement. I've received the thumbs up from the exercise physiologist to "up" my HR ceiling to 150 bpm next week. WooooHoooo! (I think that's a girl cheer, isn't it? Oh, well) My ultimate goal for this year is to complete the Century version of the LiveStrong ride in Philadelphia on August 24th, and then perhaps race in a mountainous stage race in Vermont in September. Aggressive? Yep. But worth shooting for in my opinion.

Have a great weekend!
Mike

Latest posts

Back