Just Started Cardiac Rehab

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cardio rehab is great! ;)

The amount of classes recommended is based on what your insurance
will pay. 36 classes is more than enough.

Although I cut mine to only 24 I discovered that my insurance
will also pay for a gym membership. Maybe yours will too, or at least
a portion of it.

If I would have just gone to a gym without the rehab I may have
overdone it and hurt myself. I just took my regimen that I learned at rehab and added small increases.

Good luck to you!

Jack,

Thanks! What a great idea!! The folks at the rehab facility want to see me for 18 weeks, or 54 sessions. I've been approved for 36, which I think is plenty. I would agree that the best thing about rehab is making sure that we don't overdo it; something I definitely would have done if not monitored by professionals. Also, for me it helps TREMENDOUSLY to have nagging questions answered without being charged a co-pay! ;-)

I'm going to look into that gym idea...brilliant!

Mike

I had BAV and carving of my heart muscles for stenosis on November 13 of 2008. I saw the surgeon three weeks out and wore a Holter device because of aryhtmia, but never saw a doctor. That is the full extent of guidance I have had. No "Cardio Rehab", and I have full insurance.

I had BAV and carving of my heart muscles for stenosis on November 13 of 2008. I saw the surgeon three weeks out and wore a Holter device because of aryhtmia, but never saw a doctor. That is the full extent of guidance I have had. No "Cardio Rehab", and I have full insurance.

Johnfreeman62: Your cardiologist may still order/prescribe rehab if you ask. I told my cardiologist and surgeon beforehand that I wanted rehab. The cardiologist said they didn't normally order it for valve patients, but she would order it if I wanted. My card. also didn't want me to start til 3 months after surgery, so you'd be right on time:).

Boy am I glad I joined this forum. I was just assuming that I'd get rehab this time (my insurance company didn't cover it after my 4-CABG fourteen years ago because I "didn't have a history of heart disease." I had to rehab my own self using a cheap Target ski machine so I could track heart rate and progress).

After reading the above posts, I now know to request it if it's not part of the pre-planning. I've got better insurance now, and it seems to be more prevention-oriented, so maybe I'll actually get it this time. After the CABG they had me in for assessment (before I found out that I couldn't get it), two days after discharge from the hospital (5 days post surgery). What's the typical span after AVR?

When I had AVR 17+ years ago there wasn't much in the way of rehab.
Neither the surgeon nor the cardiologist even mentioned it. They just said start walking every day.

Jack, I'm with you, never heard of any rehab back when I had AVR... 17.5+ years ago. I rehab myself by walking. I had jogged for 14 years and switched to walking a year before AVR so it was no problem getting back into walking.

I also didn't have a computer back then.

Resting Heart Rate

Resting Heart Rate

Hi Mike,

Odds are pretty good that your resting heart rate will improve as you do the rehab program and get back into your regular exercise routine. My RHR is usually in the neighborhood of 60. My max is 175. I seldom push it much over the mid 160's because there's not much conditioning benefit to go too high.

My heart rate monitor really helps me work through different exercise zones when I'm doing cycling stuff. I did a bunch of century event rides in Colorado last summer and despite riding over some serious mountain passes, I never found myself pushing my max.

-Philip

my insurance company didn't cover it after my 4-CABG fourteen years ago because I "didn't have a history of heart disease."

that's weird. don't they normally deny you treatment because of a
pre-existing condition? guess they can have it both ways.

I'm going in next week for a baseline srtress test and an EKG. I f everything is ok, I'll start Cardio rehab the week after. 3XW fo 90 days.I'm odd the coumodin and the amiodorone.

I'm still anemic and tired. My surgeon told me they no longer to blood transfusion as amatter of course because the rate of blood clots increases. So, I'm taking a multi-vitamin, an iron tablet and
Cerefolin (?) to help build the blood back up. I can habve all the leafy greens I want now and was told peached are also high in Iron. BP is normal again. They're still restricting me to carrying no more that 10 lbs.

Bovine Aortic Valve replacement 11/09
Arlington Medical Center, Cardiac Suite
Arl, VA

Can't wear my cross anymore because it hits the top o the scar and is very sensitive. Most be nerves that are mending.

It's been one year and one week since my operation.
One of the RN's from cardio re-hab just called and asked how I was doing.
I couldn't believe it. They really do care.
Of course, maybe they don't call everyone...maybe only us cute old farts.
Chuckle/snort :D

Another thing to check on.
My insurance pays for a gym. I just continued at the gym what I learned at re-hab with slight increases.
Maybe your insurance will also pay for gym priviledges under preventive measures. It at least might pay for a portion of it.

Good luck...JdW

Is there any reason why rehab after an AVR should be more difficult than after a CABG? Even though I didn't get to do it after the bypass, they had people in one week post-op getting them up and going--no tests, no nothing. Just get with the program.

Guess this is one more question to raise with the docs.

Latest posts

Back