Just a quick update

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny

Hello everyone. Well, im 4 days post op. Had my second shower today, which felt great. Walked alot this morning, and am about to go walk again. Have a wonderful staff here at THI. I cant believe the difference 1 day makes. I feel better everyday. Im still having trouble getting in and out of bed, still need help. Tried to do it by myself last night....and scared the s_ _t out of myself, it felt like i ripped my heart out...so i wont try that again on my own. Thanks again for all the wonderful support and prayers from you guys, it really helps when you have a support group on your side. Ill update later... Danny

P.S. I put up a few pics in my album for people to look at.... Of me, and of me and the wonderful Dr. J.Michael Duncan

Last edited:
Great to hear from you ;)
With time a practice, getting out of bed will become easier. It may still hurt a bit but the movement itself will become easier.

My husband helped me to get out of my bed for a few weeks. It's a bit scary for sure.
Eventually you will be able to roll over and slide your legs down first.
Having a step stool beside the bed helped me by supporting my feet.

Danny!!! So glad that things are going so well for you! 2 showers already?? I'm very impressed. Take it easy and welcome to the other side! Keep us updated.

Awesome Danny! Keep up the good recovery. It won't be long before you will begin to distance yourself from the mountain you have climbed..

Please keep us posted.

You're doing great!

You're doing great!

Hey Danny! Wow, two showers! David didn't shower until the day of his discharge 13 days post-op. And I was still helping him out of bed for the first week or two at home. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Things will get easier but you have to give it time. Loved the photo of you and Dr. Duncan. He looks like a really nice guy and you look absolutely fantastic and much more relaxed than you did in your pre-op photo (wonder why;))! How are your kids doing? Have you spoken to them? Do you have any idea when you will be discharged? Keep up the good work!

Nadine

Oh, I forgot how hard that was to get out of bed until you mentioned it Danny! It does get easier, but with all of it, each day is better. Best of luckto you.

Hi Danny aren't showers great after a mountain climb
So great to see you post and id almost forgotten how hard it was to get
outta bed 8 months ago or 9 months see you do forget,in time it really only
gets better (time heals) and dont rush it,you have lotsa time to heal.

Only thing i haven't forgotten was the darn waiting prior to surgery and all
the worry and anxiety i wasted on that part,hard parts over and i pass
my prayers to easy recovery for you now.

Oh congratulations you did sooooooo well:)

I also had great difficulty getting out of bed until about the 3rd or 4th night in ICU when the night nurse (a guy from Brazil) came for a chat when I could not sleep (sounds familiar) and showed me the "wriggle onto one side, put the upper hand in a fist at about chest high on the bed, push up with the fisted hand and at the same time get lower arm onto elbow and legs off the bed", now you're in a sitting position and can take it from there. To get back into bed reverse the manoeuvre. I used it for the rest of my recovery and even now instictively use this method to get up from bed or the mat at the gym.

Best wishes, Danny, for the rest of your recovery.

Good to hear from you again, Danny. Getting out of bed will get better with time. I was advised to come to the edge of the bed on my side and put my weight on my hands and push upward. It worked for me! Keep up the good work and keep us posted.:)

Danny, so good to hear all is going well. Rest, relax, walk and eat. It is about 2 hrs from the hospital to our home and can't believe how that journey wore me out. I was ready to climb back into bed the minute we got home. Strength comes back slowly but it does come back!

One warning about getting out of bed. Listen to your body and get help when you need it. In 2002 I had minimally invasive lung surgery and the surgeon specifically warned me about the nerves in your body having been moved around during surgery. He said be very careful about how you move because if these nerves get twisted wrong during recovery, there is no way to correct it. Well, I did it...sat up too fast in bed one day and had such pain (cramping) on the right side about waist level that I almost cried. And it has never gone away. It doesn't hurt very often, but I could no more do a sit up anymore than I could run a marathon. I'll be doing something (like bending over to pick something up) and the nerve just "catches", cramps and hurts like h---- for a while. So Caution is best!

Keep up the good work.

Midge

Danny, congratulations! It sounds like you are doing great. :) Yes, I remember my first shower after I got home. It felt wonderful. My husband had to help dry me but he didn't seem to care LOL even with the huge scar down the front of my chest. :rolleyes: Getting out of bed was something else. I found if I held my body pillow in front of me and rolled to the side I could get up quite easily. The first time I took a gallon of milk out of the refirgerator was something else too and the first time I unloaded the dryer. We have no idea how many muscles we use to do these simple tasks. Just take it easy and I promise it will get better!

Hi Danny,

So glad to hear you are doing well. I'm jealous, I didn't get a shower for a week- and oh it was so very wonderful. Getting in and out of bed will get easier. The simplest things you take for granted will be so difficult during this time. Take your time and don't push yourself too hard.

Take care,
Lori

Latest posts

Back